PDA

View Full Version : Bed bug removal! ?!?

MDX Detailing
10-30-2014, 07:30 AM
Just got a call from a person who needs bed bugs killed in her vehicles interior. I do steam cleaning that is why she called me. I called bed bug supply.coms hot line, they said steam is best way to treat actually, followed by nuvan strips hanging inside car for several days. Im taking the job but i am trying to decide what to charge. Anyone ever do this? Or have anyone take care of bed bugs for them and have an idea what to charge? I was thinking about $350.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AG Online

swanicyouth
10-30-2014, 07:59 AM
I'd stay away unless you want them on you. They could be everywhere - places you can't get to. The correct way to get rid of them is to heat the entire car up in a closed off area (can't recall the temp) with heaters.

hogie
10-30-2014, 09:02 AM
My brother had bed bugs in his apartment building. Trust me, you don't want to take them home with you.

HD.Detailing
10-30-2014, 09:20 AM
pass! Pretty sure ozone machine would kill them too, but I'd say no to that job.

aim4squirrels
10-30-2014, 09:40 AM
you don't have the equipment to combat that problem correctly. The steam you have isn't all-encompassing like what they use to kill bed bugs.

They'll just run and hide from your steam wand and come right back. Then you'll get a peeved client coming back to you for a fix.

swanicyouth
10-30-2014, 10:12 AM
This thread is making me itch.

MDX Detailing
10-30-2014, 10:54 AM
Hmmm. I talked with the bed bug guy for awhile. Heatng the whole car is bad idea. Said they have done that before and fried electronics. He was familiar with the mculloch steamer and said that is perfect for job. Exactly what pros Would use for job. He said the temps kills them instantly. The only way i could transfer the bugs onto me is if i sit in the car, And sit still. Whatever bugs are missed by steam the vapor strips will kill. This is stuff he's told me, i have no actual Experience or knowledge.

MDX Detailing
10-30-2014, 10:58 AM
I'm going to Call an exterminator right now. Think I'll just sub it to them

Dr_Pain
10-30-2014, 11:04 AM
Makes sure to get a good Tyvex suit and tape the sleeves and zippers. Steam is the best way to attack it. Take your time and get in all the nook and crannies and don't spare the steam.

Unless you are planning on removing the seats to treat well between the seats, under the seat etc... then you won't be able to guarantee full extermination. Steam needs to be applied directly, same as the chemical insecticides (to kill the bug and its eggs/larvae). It will be a test of patience for sure. As a precaution (against a reinfestation) you may want to put some dessicants in the car. A note of caution against chemicals is the close quarters and possibility of chemical sensitivity (especially with children).

To answer your question, I would definitely not charge anything less than $350.

RobRabbit2.5
10-30-2014, 12:23 PM
I'm going to Call an exterminator right now. Think I'll just sub it to them

:iagree:

I wouldn't call an exterminator to buff out my car and vice-versa.

Also it's likely that the bed bugs aren't going to be the only place that vehicle is going to need serious work.