PDA

View Full Version : Shop plans

HUMP DIESEL
10-29-2014, 11:58 AM
Does anybody here have plans for a shop? I am wanting to get the pricing together for a stand alone shop and wondered if anyone else had gone thru the process.

HUMP

Setec Astronomy
10-29-2014, 12:10 PM
You mean floor plans? Are you building from scratch (new construction)? Most members who open a shop seem to be adapting an existing space so you kind of have to go with the flow depending on what you can buy/lease.

The big thing it seems to me is if you are going to have an indoor wash bay and the drainage requirements for that (oil separator, etc.). Also if you are going to have a lift to make polishing lower areas easier or perhaps for taking tires off to do wells or detail (or more) brake calipers etc. What I mean is those things require the most planning.

You have to think a little about your layout such as if the cars are going to move from the wash area to another area directly, or if you have to go back outside, that kind of stuff--which depends on how big the space is, how many doors. If you are going to have a wash area, interior area, polishing area...with the cars proceeding from one to the next. Or if the car will stay put and everything will come to it.

And some thinking about the layout of lights, outlets, compressed air, vacuums.

I gots no idea if it will just be you or employees or what, or if that was even what you wanted, so take everything I said with a grain of salt.

HUMP DIESEL
10-29-2014, 01:16 PM
It is just me, but I would like my own place right outside of my house now. I don't plan on moving. I have a shop that I use now, but I have to drive to it, which is not a problem, but pulling long nights there and then driving home gets old sometimes. I also live right on a main highway between to large metro areas for my side of the world and it would make getting clients to and from those areas easier I feel.

I pulled a floor plan off line and I can modify it. I also am a project drafter, so push come to shove, I could detail my own.
Just wondered if anyone had some layouts to look over with what others have done.

HUMP