PDA

View Full Version : New to Detailing - Looking for product advice

neminat
10-29-2014, 10:38 AM
I had posted this in another forum as well, but looking for another groups feedback as well.

I am new to detailing and am looking to do some work on my own vehicles only. No plans to start a company or anything like that. I have spent quite a lot of time on many sites to get a decent understanding of all of this. I realize that a lot of it comes down to exactly what the condition of the car is, but I also know there is some advice you can lend as well.

I have a black 07 Volvo XC90 with 110k miles and a black 2012 Acura TL with 15k miles – why did I do this to myself... two black cars?? LOL

The 2012 is in really good shape. I just bought it a few weeks ago and there are some swirls and things in the paint I would like to cleanup. The Volvo has much more swirling etc. I wouldn't say it is in poor shape, but certainly could use a good polish. It was purchased used as well and came that way L

Anyway, I am driving myself crazy on what to buy here. I am thinking a backing plate, a few orange pads, a few white pads, a black pad, and a red pad. Overkill? Missing anything?

Then I get into polishes and get lost. I have read about Meguiar’s 105 / 205, Menzerna polishes (not sure which ones), and then most recently the Chemical Guys v36 / v38. I think their marketing has gotten ahold of me. How do you rate their products against the others? Any others you recommend?

Glazes – Im not even sure where to start here. I am thinking about skipping it to be honest. I was reading that it will reduce the bonding of sealant or wax, and honestly I don’t have a lot of free time to constantly detail the car very often. Thoughts on my train of thought here? Disagree?

Sealants – I have been thinking about Chemical Guys Jetseal or the oh so easy to apply opti-seal. Any other recommendations?

Volvo Headlight – One of my wife’s headlights was replaced in a slight fender bender. The other looks kinda bad. It has 110,000 miles on it. I was thinking of polishing it out with whatever polish I go with and then sealing it with whatever sealant I go with. Sound fair?

1. I know that the Acura paint is quite soft. How is the Volvo black paint?
2. I may lend my sister in law a hand with her VERY swirled black Dodge that gets a typical car wash twice a week – is their paint typically hard or soft? She will have to swear to never take it to these car washes again *sigh*
3. Which polish would you recommend I go with out of the ones I listed? Anything I have failed to look at that you would recommend with my vehicles?

Zubair
10-29-2014, 11:24 AM
Menzerna FG400,PF2500,SF4000, Power Lock Polymer Sealant. That about covers it all.

Oh and welcome, theres a wealth of knowledge and info here, tons of opinions, some locking horns but all driven by passion and personal experience