PDA

View Full Version : Best pads for my 3401?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Texas78
10-28-2014, 10:44 PM
Just ordered a Flex 3401 and and a Rupes Mini. I was wondering what pads y'all have the best luck with? I'm not going to be doing a lot of correction and very little sanding...probably just spot spot sanding on light scratches. Thanks guys!

fly07sti
10-28-2014, 10:54 PM
The pads I reach for most often for my 3401 are LC hybrids (5")
For my mini, lately I've been loving the 3" (low profile) LC Hydrotechs

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
10-29-2014, 12:27 AM
Without a doubt the best pads for the 3401 are the Lake Country Hybrid pads. These were designed for the characteristics of the forced rotation nature of the machine.

In my humble opinion, Menzerna is the best polish to use with this setup. Again, just my opinion.

Here is an article I put together extracting the maximum performance from this setup. This is based on DAT based polishes such as Menzerna.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-university/77155-my-technique-concerning-3401-menzerna-products-hybrid-pads.html

Mike Phillips
10-29-2014, 06:34 AM
Just ordered a Flex 3401 and and a Rupes Mini. I was wondering what pads y'all have the best luck with? I'm not going to be doing a lot of correction and very little sanding...probably just spot spot sanding on light scratches. Thanks guys!

In my how-to book I recommend the LC Hybrid Pads, both 6.5" and 5" that means you also need to get the LC Backing Plate Adapter System.

As for chemicals I show and recommend only products I've used personally and work as expected.

Menzerna works great with any tool and even by hand but I also show,

Meguiar's
Mothers
Pinnacle - including the new Advanced Compound
Blackfire
Optimum
Sonax - including the new CUTMAX and EX 04-06
Menzerna

I just posted this yesterday, this entire true show car was taken from a swirled out mess to ready to be put on display in full sun or the most excruciating indoor lights.

How to use the Flex 3401 for Show Car Detailing (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/86256-how-use-flex-3401-show-car-detailing.html)

More pictures going up today in the above thread... suffice to say I used all Pinnacle products including the Advanced Compound followed by the Finishing Polish.

From this....

Frame-up shot...
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=83712

Close-up of the same above frame-up shot...
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=83714

To this....
(Same area as shown above)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=83734

And of course, you can use all the tips and techniques shared in the book to work on Honda's, Toyota's, Fords and Hyundai's

:D

Dan K
10-29-2014, 07:50 AM
Definitely, without a doubt, get the hybrid pads for the Flex. Buy them now, thank everyone later. Don't even bother with any other pad, they are that good.

The Wolfgang site has them on sale right now, plus 20% off and free shipping over $50.

Kamakaz1961
10-29-2014, 09:10 AM
Without a doubt the best pads for the 3401 are the Lake Country Hybrid pads. These were designed for the characteristics of the forced rotation nature of the machine.

In my humble opinion, Menzerna is the best polish to use with this setup. Again, just my opinion.

Here is an article I put together extracting the maximum performance from this setup. This is based on DAT based polishes such as Menzerna.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-university/77155-my-technique-concerning-3401-menzerna-products-hybrid-pads.html

:iagree: I also like the Lake Country CCS pads from 4" to 6.5", Hydro-tech Pads and basically anything that say Lake Country. As for correcting...anything that says Menzerna (FG400 and SF4500 for me). Get all the backing plates for the Flex too. The 3401 IMO is the best DA out there...period! I use my PC7424XP with a 2 7/8" backing plate for the 3" pads....guess which pads?...LOL

Texas78
10-29-2014, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the great replies guys. This site has so much great information that it's overwhelming sometimes. I used to be really big into diesel performance a few years ago and would spend hours every night on some of the discussion forums...I think it's starting to happen again here...lol.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
10-29-2014, 09:52 AM
Anything that say Lake Country. As for correcting...anything that says Menzerna.

This!

The 3401 IMO is the best DA out there...period!

Agreed!!!!!!

I use my PC7424XP with a 2 7/8" backing plate for the 3" pads....guess which pads?...LOL

3" Hydro-Tech pads?

Thanks for the great replies guys. This site has so much great information that it's overwhelming sometimes. I used to be really big into diesel performance a few years ago and would spend hours every night on some of the discussion forums...I think it's starting to happen again here...lol.

Sure thing.

Be careful. You may spend a lot of time digesting all the great info here! :xyxthumbs:

SameGuy
10-29-2014, 11:14 AM
So, let's say that I'm about to -- hypothetically -- pick up a 3401, LC Interchangeable BP System and a set of Hybrids. There seems to be some overlap in the abilities of the colors in the set. Would it be a safe bet to get a couple or three in each size of just Orange and White and maybe just one five inch Black?

Dan K
10-29-2014, 11:21 AM
So, let's say that I'm about to -- hypothetically -- pick up a 3401, LC Interchangeable BP System and a set of Hybrids. There seems to be some overlap in the abilities of the colors in the set. Would it be a safe bet to get a couple or three in each size of just Orange and White and maybe just one five inch Black?

I would start with 3 each of orange, white, and black. I use black pads quite often with light/finishing polishes, prep polish, and similar products.

RobRabbit2.5
10-29-2014, 11:24 AM

The orange white black route is the one i went with. It may just be me, but i would think you could vary the amount of cut or polish with the pressure and # of passes than the slight difference in the foam structure of one color pad to another.

I took the advice about hybrid pad from both Mikes and have never looked back. They are by far the best. I use the CCS pads that i bought with my Flex package on peoples hacked vehicles to keep my hybrids pristine. (yea i'm snarky like that about it now)

I bought the hybrid 5" pads thinking the small OEM flex plate would work with them but the changeable LC is needed like Mike said before. Maybe something coming out soon will be able to use them OEM insead of the changeable system........ Something made of Flex, but, far, more.........precious.

SameGuy
10-29-2014, 11:28 AM
LOL, I know it'll be more than a week before I pull any triggers so I can wait and see what "it" turns out to be!

ETA: it'll be closer to Black Friday, if there's another big "no exceptions" dealio.

yinzer
10-29-2014, 11:57 AM

I think when people ask for pad recommendations that it would help to know what condition their car is in and future projects. I plan on doing a lot of cars that were never cleaned/washed properly so I might be a little heavy on the cutting pads. I have also found that they load with with spent product more so I use one more to do a car. The heavy cutters seem like a thicker solution - which makes sense.

Admittedly with machine application of glaze I must use too much. I used a black CCS once and has over a 1/4 cup of Wolfgangs 3.0 left in the pad. Currently I apply sealants by hand and will probably not go back to machine. But my point is if you only looking to buy a minimal number of pads I''d go with whatever is recommended for your product. That is assuming you getting two polishes then you get six pads - 3 for each step which should be good.

I use Menzerna FG-400 and SF-4000. I'm very impressed with Menzerna. I used a wool pad and FG-400 and in one pass I thought that from there I saw really no improvement. And this was on white paint which I'm told is the hardest. So I bought some SI-1500 because I'm thinking the (at least for ave swirls) the FG-400 is too aggressive.

Make sure that you check these out:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/flex-polishers/82817-what-backing-plate-pads-size-flex-3401-a.html
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/flex-polishers/81541-pads-backing-plate-flex-3403-a-2.html

allenk4
10-29-2014, 12:09 PM
Admittedly with machine application of glaze I must use too much. I used a black CCS once and has over a 1/4 cup of Wolfgangs 3.0 left in the pad. Currently I apply sealants by hand and will probably not go back to machine.

Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0 is a light polish, not a true "glaze"

1/4 cup is about 60ml. That is a lot of product for one car, much less having that much left in the pad when you finish. I prime lightly and then 3 small peas of product per section. Cleaning on the fly between sections.

yinzer
10-29-2014, 12:24 PM
Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0 is a light polish, not a true "glaze"

1/4 cup is about 60ml. That is a lot of product for one car, much less having that much left in the pad when you finish. I prime lightly and then 3 small peas of product per section. Cleaning on the fly between sections.

Sorry, I should of said:

Admittedly with machine application of sealant I must use too much.

Again my main point was if he only wants 6 pads and is using a two step polishing routine, I'd go with 3x2 and put the sealant on by hand.

As for polishes I prime and use the 2/3 - 3/4 circle method.