PDA

View Full Version : Best pads for my 3401?

Pages : 1 [2] 3

java
10-29-2014, 12:47 PM
I have a general question. Do you have to use the LC backing plate or could you use the factory flex plates. I planning on using some LC pads and others.

yinzer
10-29-2014, 02:25 PM
I have a general question. Do you have to use the LC backing plate or could you use the factory flex plates. I planning on using some LC pads and others.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/flex-polishers/82817-what-backing-plate-pads-size-flex-3401-a.html

See the 4th post.

allenk4
10-29-2014, 03:01 PM
Sorry, I should of said:

Admittedly with machine application of sealant I must use too much.

Again my main point was if he only wants 6 pads and is using a two step polishing routine, I'd go with 3x2 and put the sealant on by hand.

As for polishes I prime and use the 2/3 - 3/4 circle method.

Are you confusing Wolfgang Finishing Glaze and Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant?

The former is an abrasive polish the latter is a paint sealant with no abrasives

Kamakaz1961
10-29-2014, 03:14 PM
Definitely, without a doubt, get the hybrid pads for the Flex. Buy them now, thank everyone later. Don't even bother with any other pad, they are that good.

The Wolfgang site has them on sale right now, plus 20% off and free shipping over $50.

Thanks for that heads up. I just bought a few pads from the new Wolfgang site. Great deal!!

yinzer
10-29-2014, 04:14 PM
Are you confusing Wolfgang Finishing Glaze and Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant?

The former is an abrasive polish the latter is a paint sealant with no abrasives

Not really. I just misspoke.

My point is given the premise of only ordering six pads I think that it best to have two sets of three pads. As long as the product is matched with the proper pad, it will finish LSP ready.

Regardless of my over applying product (Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0) on the pad, I don't feel that affected time spent for that step. I've always put sealant on by hand. Personal preference I know, but a machine just seems like over kill.

So in the grand scheme of things I just feel that given the two choices - have two sets of three vs. having a pad to only put on sealant, that I go with the 2x3 choice.

gaschob
10-29-2014, 04:20 PM
Whats the difference between the hydrotech pads and the hybrid? Is it worth it for me to buy across the border for them or just stick with the CCS and hydrotech?

allenk4
10-29-2014, 05:43 PM
You will probably be happy with any of the Lake Country options

You will notice the greatest difference between pad brands/styles in the Compounding pads

If you want to test out a few....buy one of each of these

Meguiar's DAMF Cutting
LC Thin Purple Foamed Wool
LC Orange CCS
LC HD Orbital Cutting
LC Hybrid Cutting

Have fun experimenting

gaschob
10-29-2014, 06:52 PM
I'm locally limited to CCS or hydro. Maybe I will make a big purchase in the future to justify the price over the border. For now, I'll rest easy that the LC pads I have now are working as intended. I'm getting in some Menzerna next week which I'm very excited about. I'm hoping for 75% of the work I do I can cut down to just two Menzerna products. Understand, this is dealer work, not as meticulous as private shops.

Caleb@ImpeccableImage
10-30-2014, 08:35 AM
Congrats on your purchase! I too just ordered a Flex 3401 to add to my arsenal. It is a BEAST!

SameGuy
12-09-2014, 02:50 PM
Threadsurrection time.

Yesterday was BF/CM Order Unpacking Day! Three of my four parcels? 3401, LC Changeable BP System, and a bunch of 5" LC Hybrids.

For those with this setup along with a "beginner" DA and who've used the Meguiar's DAMF system, can I use 5" DAMF discs with the 4" BP or do I also need the optional Flex 4 3/8" BP?

Velocitybts
12-11-2014, 10:38 PM
Threadsurrection time.

Yesterday was BF/CM Order Unpacking Day! Three of my four parcels? 3401, LC Changeable BP System, and a bunch of 5" LC Hybrids.

For those with this setup along with a "beginner" DA and who've used the Meguiar's DAMF system, can I use 5" DAMF discs with the 4" BP or do I also need the optional Flex 4 3/8" BP?

Advice,

If you use the LC Hybrid Orange cutting pads w/ FG400 Menzerna you will not need the DAMF products at all and hint---the pads finish it off much much much nicer. Not that you won't use a polish afterwards, you just can use a much lighter cutting pad (yellow) and something like Menzerna SF4500 and achieve higher gloss levels.

I have used a 5" MF disc (THE X-TRA CUT ones DO NOT WORK on the flex, the disc is too thin so unless the panel is totally flat they are horrible. At least IMO) on the 4 3/8 plate but don't like it. They marr the surface too much for me. I don't think honestly that its cutting any better than a fresh orange Hybrid 5" pad with the FG400.

SameGuy
12-11-2014, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the hints!

Yeah, I'd love to try Menzerna products at some point but I'm well-stocked with Meguiars at this point (D300, 302, 301 and M100, 105 and 205 along with D151 and a whole slew of small bottles of other compounds, polishes and finishing waxes. I guess I can use my old PC and discs to finish off the car I'm in the middle of right now, then 105/205 with the LC pads for a bit. Maybe I'll take advantage of one of these "Deals of Christmas" to get the Menz twins. :)

Hokie335i
12-12-2014, 12:38 AM
Hey guys so I just got my Flex and I have hyrbids already from my GG6 which I love. But I was looking to get some wool or really aggressive pads for the flex just to have in case I have to do something that my current pads can't handle.

With the current LC pads on sale, what is a good aggressive pad for the flex? I have LC orange hybrid already.

Thanks

Velocitybts
12-12-2014, 12:40 AM
Thanks for the hints!

Yeah, I'd love to try Menzerna products at some point but I'm well-stocked with Meguiars at this point (D300, 302, 301 and M100, 105 and 205 along with D151 and a whole slew of small bottles of other compounds, polishes and finishing waxes. I guess I can use my old PC and discs to finish off the car I'm in the middle of right now, then 105/205 with the LC pads for a bit. Maybe I'll take advantage of one of these "Deals of Christmas" to get the Menz twins. :)

Try mixing up a batch of 105 and 300 and see how that works out for you. Dramatically lessens the dusting of 105 and gives you longevity of buffing cycle. Nice combination that a lot of professionals on here use. The D300 is my go to in-between compound. I love it whether in a MF or on a pad. Typically use it a lot more on a pad. When testing an area to see what works, First I use SF4000 w/ White Hybrid pad. Then bump down to the D300 on a white pad, then the D300 on a orange pad (HYBRID'S), then down to the FG400. When I find what works I stop. But the D300 is definitely a product I like. D302, never used, but likely its similar to the SF4000. I am sure it works similar to the D300 for longevity, no dusting, and easy to remove so play around a little with the combinations. I tried a bunch of Pads - CCS, Hydro Tech, MF, Softbuff etc....... till I kept reading about the Hybrids. Since I had gotten numerous pads and have a stockpile I didn't want to spend a fortune to get another type. But listening to Mike, and following some others, I took the plunge and went to the 4" and Hybrids. Never go back to another. Its too perfect. Remember, more pads is great. Just did a E63 AMG in black, and used 7 orange pads for the panels and 6 white pads, and 3 black pads. Did a 3 step on it. Keep your pads clean at all costs. Just some hints. :)

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
12-12-2014, 03:07 AM
Hey guys so I just got my Flex and I have hyrbids already from my GG6 which I love. But I was looking to get some wool or really aggressive pads for the flex just to have in case I have to do something that my current pads can't handle.

With the current LC pads on sale, what is a good aggressive pad for the flex? I have LC orange hybrid already.

Thanks

For that added bite over the Hybrid foam pads, grab the Hybrid wool. This pad offers more correction over the foam pad while finishing up very well considering its wool. Paired with FG400 you should be able to tackle anything that comes your way.

SF4000 on the white pad has enough pull in it to finish out whatever was left behind from FG400/Wool.

If even more correction is needed, then a twisted wool pad will be needed. Now this will give you the utmost level of cut although will leave the surface extremely hazy and Halogramed.