PDA

View Full Version : Meguairs Polymer Sealant

jam
08-14-2007, 03:29 PM
Hi, just wondering what you guys think of Polymer Sealant by Meguiars (#20). I just saw another product advertised today (synthetic sealant, #21) and am not sure if that replaces 20???

But anyway, what do you guys think of PS20? I have been using that for a few years and chose it because of the ultra long lasting protection (was still beading at the do-it-yourself spray wash after 8 or 9 months) and because the car sees weather.

My paint (red single stage) has faded a bit. I am assuming that PS20 protects against UV, am I right? So i am thinking maybe i have not put it on enough each year (i think in general, once per year, 2 coats).

Any thoughts?

thanks.

Thejoyofdriving
08-14-2007, 03:42 PM
Any thing worth calling a sealant will protect a car from the elements. I would apply the sealant at least every 6 months. Your paint fading is likely due to the suns rays. You should reaplly more often. And you might want to try another sealant that offers more UV protection.

ScottB
08-14-2007, 09:43 PM
#20 has been around for several years and a nice offering in the professional line. #21 was released in large sizes about a year ago, and finally in smaller sizes. It is rumored (and well substantiated) to be NXT with better durability. Has that great look, and lasts more than two weeks.

Thejoyofdriving
08-14-2007, 09:47 PM
#20 lasts more than two weeks.????????:confused: 2 weeks?

Z06-Goose
08-14-2007, 10:12 PM
????????:confused: 2 weeks?I think killrwheells was referring to the NXT

Thejoyofdriving
08-14-2007, 10:21 PM
I think killrwheells was referring to the NXT

NXT? I hate meguiars but even I have to say that it lasts more than 2 weeks. Before when I was starting detailing i was a 100% megs user, then I switched to some other brands. I havent got a chance to wax my car in a while, i still have some NXT on my car for 5 months and its still beading. Im the last person you would hear saying a positive thing about meguiars but it appears that it lasts pretty long. Next week im stripping that crap off and putting on 2 layers of SSII:righton:Im the MAN:awesome:

Z06-Goose
08-14-2007, 10:42 PM
NXT? I hate meguiars but even I have to say that it lasts more than 2 weeks. Before when I was starting detailing i was a 100% megs user, then I switched to some other brands. I havent got a chance to wax my car in a while, i still have some NXT on my car for 5 months and its still beading. Im the last person you would hear saying a positive thing about meguiars but it appears that it lasts pretty long. Next week im stripping that crap off and putting on 2 layers of SSII:righton:Im the MAN:awesome:I've personally gotten a 4 weeks out of the NXT before I switched to something else. I think NXT has a bad rap on its durability; I hear more feedback on its durability exceeding the 2 week-myth than not

Thejoyofdriving
08-14-2007, 11:36 PM
I've personally gotten a 4 weeks out of the NXT before I switched to something else. I think NXT has a bad rap on its durability; I hear more feedback on its durability exceeding the 2 week-myth than not

I am going off of beading, I assume since it is still beading its still there. I have used pinnacle CM a few times but that barely adds any protection. Did it stop beading after 4 weeks?

jam
08-15-2007, 12:05 AM
You should reaplly more often. And you might want to try another sealant that offers more UV protection.
Any suggestions that are proven to be better in that department??

jam
08-15-2007, 12:06 AM
NXT? I hate meguiars but even I have to say that it lasts more than 2 weeks. Before when I was starting detailing i was a 100% megs user, then I switched to some other brands. I havent got a chance to wax my car in a while, i still have some NXT on my car for 5 months and its still beading. Im the last person you would hear saying a positive thing about meguiars but it appears that it lasts pretty long. Next week im stripping that crap off and putting on 2 layers of SSII:righton:Im the MAN:awesome:

Just curious, why do you hate Meguirs? ANd what is SSII?

orngez
08-15-2007, 12:12 AM
#21 is a great lsp....it really is the look of NXT...which definitely has a warm glow to it...and has above average durability...something nxt was lacking....

supercharged
08-15-2007, 12:45 AM
NXT sucks in durability, especially when washed with NXT soap. I was averaging 4 weeks of protection, which really sucks for a synthetic sealant. Even a carnauba cleaner wax lasts longer...

jam
08-15-2007, 12:46 AM
#21 is a great lsp....it really is the look of NXT...which definitely has a warm glow to it...and has above average durability...something nxt was lacking....
How would you compare to Polymer Sealant #20??

sneek
08-15-2007, 02:35 AM
#20 is an amazing product. In my opinion a very under rated product. It has light cleaners so it can be used as a one step, but it also can be used with a multistage polish. Maybe Nica will chime in, he still has a few oz I gave him after the plane detail, which we used #20 on. I have a gallon of both #20 and #21 and they are both very good. I don't really know if they can be compared. Both products leave a great shine with great durability. #20 can be used as an AIO, where as #21 has very light cleaners and should only be used on like new surfaces. #21 offers better durability than #20. #20 offers a look that you usually see with a sealant topped with a wax (#20 has carnauba in it by the way, #21 does not). #21 will offer a more mirror like shine. Both need a really good shaking before use. #20 is really good in cold temperatures, I cannot say that about #21 because I haven't tried it in the cold yet.

Thejoyofdriving
08-15-2007, 02:37 PM
Just curious, why do you hate Meguirs? ANd what is SSII?

Its along story, and I am not allowed to bash them on the forum, so I cant comment. SSII stands for Pinnacle Signature Series II, its their second highest grade wax. I dont use a lot of sealants, so my experience is rather limited in that feild. But I cant tell you some popular ones thats people seem to like: wolfgang deep gloss sealant, Klasse,and OPT opti seal.