PDA

View Full Version : Just like a newborn...I'm crying out loud...newbie!

Pages : [1] 2

Bergy
10-28-2014, 05:40 PM
Hey,

I just ordered the Meguiar's Ultimate Results Bundle from Walmart. Looking forward to making my 2012 Red Camry shine!

Now the question is... after I found out that my 64 yo body just doesn't work they way I think it should afterI put a full day of elbow greasing my 2003 Accord...

Once I do the initial swirl removals and make my car gleam...do I really need to keep and use a da buffer? My Camry will be my daily ride...and I hope to maintain the finished results of my initial detailing of the Camry..from Clay to Polish. Can I get away with doing it by hand...or is it so much easier and faster with the da buffer????

Thanks

Bergy And thanks for all the Wisdom that wafts about these forums.

jamesboyy
10-28-2014, 05:48 PM
Welcome to autogeek, good luck with your purchase, and having a DA polisher will get any job from polishing to waxing/sealing done faster in half the time so good to have one an example would be groits garage 6 in DA polisher lastly your Camry will most likely need a polishing too even if its just a one step polish...happy detailing

Hazcat
10-28-2014, 05:49 PM
Welcome to the forums Bergy! It's definitely easier and your results are better with a da buffer.

Blade
10-28-2014, 06:04 PM
Easier, and you'll get more consistent results!!

FocusSTguy
10-28-2014, 09:17 PM
Once you apply wax with a machine you won't want to do it by hand.

expdetailing
10-28-2014, 09:29 PM
Bergy, 6 months ago I was wondering the same thing. Now, I have 4 polishers.
Welcome to AG.

DaveT435
10-28-2014, 09:39 PM
Go with the DA! You'll be glad you did!

custmsprty
10-28-2014, 10:35 PM
Once you apply wax with a machine you won't want to do it by hand.

:iagree::dblthumb2:

I can lay out a full coat of sealant on my wife's Altima in about 20 minutes with my DA. No way to do that by hand in that amount of time. Not too mention you get thin even consistent coats with a da.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
10-29-2014, 03:04 AM
Welcome to AGO!

Moldavite
10-29-2014, 06:06 AM
Welcome
I was using hand all the while,
Took me lots of time and effort...
Machine will be wise to get
For me I choose to use easier LSP :)
Spray and rinse... lol

GS2011
10-29-2014, 07:18 AM
:welcome:

Bergy
10-29-2014, 08:39 AM
I'm not sure if I will be leaving two replies or not...but Thanks to all. DB it is!

Now... what kinds of Pads should I be getting...and trying to keep it as simple and as less money as I can.

Thanks again

Ike21
10-29-2014, 09:21 AM
Congrats on the great choice of products, and for taking the time to pamper your '03 Accord! I think you'll be amazed at the transformation Meg's Ultimate line can perform for you.

Although I'm still a young man myself, I have taken a beating over the years, and have had a few shoulder, wrist and knee injuries that keep me from detailing without a bit of extra help from machines.
Trust me, it's worth investing the money in a proper DA (dual action, sometimes called random orbital) polisher kit. Your body and your cars will thank you for it. If you're like me, you'll love using one so much, that your entire house will be waxed and polished before you even know what happened!
In all seriousness, it will save your joints a good bit of trouble, and it will save you time (which is infinitely valuable IMO).

When I was a bit younger and naive, I decided that I could forego my usual professional polisher method of paint correction on my old Nissan X-Terra, and go straight to hand polishing with Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish. I spent an entire day just correcting the hood and front fenders!

Mind you, both products give incredible results by hand application (better than anything else that I've had experience with), but you will see better, tangible results through using a proper polisher and pad combination. Plus, you can pamper your entire car and do it without getting nearly as sore.

Also, don't do what I did once and get sucked into the trap of buying a run-of-the-mill "polisher" at Wally-World or like stores. Likely, they will be the old school "wax spreader" style (underpowered motor on top of a pad), and simply won't save you any time if you try to use one for compounding and polishing. They do give marginally better results than applying by hand, but it's a waste of money IMO. For more on why, this article/forum post by Mike Phillips is a good read (and really, as are all of his other articles here on AG!): "Wax Spreaders" (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/25148-traditional-orbital-buffer-aka-wax-spreader.html).

I avoided buying a proper DA for years due to the initial cost, and now wish I could get that wasted time back. Even if you use it once a year, it's worth the investment. Make sure to read the articles and posts on this forum regarding use and care before buying one, so you know what to expect (and what to buy, the first time!). Also, don't be afraid to ask people on the forums (or at AG tech help) about your choices before placing an order. They'll be glad to help!

I probably sound like an advertisement at this point, but I just don't want to see you get burned like myself. Go grab a polisher kit at a good detail supplier, wherever that may be. AG does have a bunch of good kits available.
Personally, I own a Griot's Garage Random Orbital polisher and absolutely love it. It's worth spending the $20 or so more vs. a Porter Cable, especially for the lifetime warranty and top notch customer service.
For your situation (lighter, occasional use), expect to invest in at least 2 compounding foam pads, at least 1 polishing pad and only 1 wax application pad. Pad selection is probably the most confusing part, so don't be afraid to ask or read posts and articles on the forums about it. Kits can help with this as well.

If you need to save as much money as possible, there's a polisher available at Harbor Freight (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-tools-accessories/84774-harbor-freight-polisher.html) (the link is to a good post on the forums). You'll have to spend money and time ordering the right polishing pad combination for it though. In the end, you're only looking at a potential savings of $50 to $80, assuming the machine works as it should.
However, I personally would never invest in anything but "disposable" hand tools at Harbor Freight. Just my humble (and unfortunately, experienced) opinion!

Happy detailing! :xyxthumbs:

ilian11
10-29-2014, 11:23 AM
For LSP, consider this Ultima Paint Guard Plus (http://www.autogeek.net/ultima-paint-guard-plus.html). Spray, wipe on and walk away.

Bergy
11-13-2014, 10:14 AM
Would like to know more about the Ultima Paint Guard Plus. I will be using the Ultimate Meguiar's Products that I have already purchased, including the Ultimate Polish and Liquid Wax. Could I use the UPGP in conjunction with that?