PDA

View Full Version : Seems like Wolfgang sealant is gone already

Pages : [1] 2

11Silverado
10-28-2014, 11:38 AM
Hey guys. In late August I detailed my truck and applied wolfgang paint sealant and topped that with fuzion. A few weekends ago I put another coat of fuzion on the truck. Along the sides of the truck the water doesn't bead up anymore and seems as if there is no longer any kind of protection left. Is this the case? Winter is slowly approaching and I want it to be protected, but I don't really have the time to give another detail due to school. Sorry for the small picture, but you can see where the water stops beading and it does that all along each side. Feed back please

cagui1223
10-28-2014, 12:03 PM
Hey guys. In late August I detailed my truck and applied wolfgang paint sealant and topped that with fuzion. A few weekends ago I put another coat of fuzion on the truck. Along the sides of the truck the water doesn't bead up anymore and seems as if there is no longer any kind of protection left. Is this the case? Winter is slowly approaching and I want it to be protected, but I don't really have the time to give another detail due to school. Sorry for the small picture, but you can see where the water stops beading and it does that all along each side. Feed back please

Was this picture taken before or after the car was washed?

11Silverado
10-28-2014, 12:05 PM
That was before it was washed. I had only rinsed it at that point.

Don M
10-28-2014, 12:07 PM
Was this picture taken before or after the car was washed?

How did the water bead on the sides AFTER it was washed? Did it bead, sheet, or lay there dead?

cagui1223
10-28-2014, 12:08 PM

Did you also observe the lack of beading on the lower half of the panel once you had washed and cleared the dirt off?

Desertnate
10-28-2014, 12:13 PM
The water won't bead very well on a dirty car. Like Don M hints at, the state after the wash is the important measure. I've had cars with heavy dust and pollen exhibit the behavior of a car that's way beyond the life of the LSP. As soon as its clean, bead city once again.

cagui1223
10-28-2014, 12:17 PM
The water won't bead very well on a dirty car. Like Don M hints at, the state after the wash is the important measure. I've had cars with heavy dust and pollen exhibit the behavior of a car that's way beyond the life of the LSP. As soon as its clean, bead city once again.

+1.
That is exactly where I was getting to. I experienced the exact same issue on a vehicle I coated with CQuartz. I exhibited no beading on the lower panel due to the buildup of dirt on the surface. At first I thought it was due to failure of proper application. Once the panel was properly washed and rinsed you could tell the coating was still there at full strength.
Hope this is the case!

11Silverado
10-28-2014, 12:27 PM
Honestly I can't remember if it beaded after I washed. This was a few days ago, but what you guys are saying makes sense. I'll be sure to look for that next time I wash it. Thank you!

allenk4
10-28-2014, 01:01 PM
Even after a wash, the beading can't always be trusted...depends on the soap you used and how thoroughly it was rinsed from the surface

What car wash soap are you using?

If your prep and application was the same on the vertical and horizontal surfaces...the horizontal surfaces will typically fail before the vertical.

If the hood is still beading, you can be reasonably assured that the sides are protected

Rsurfer
10-28-2014, 01:54 PM
Even after a wash, the beading can't always be trusted...depends on the soap you used and how thoroughly it was rinsed from the surface

If your prep and application was the same on the vertical and horizontal surfaces...the horizontal surfaces will typically fail before the vertical.

If the hood is still beading, you can be reasonably assured that the sides are protected

My experience has been the opposite, as the horizontals gets pounded by the rain and water and fall out just sits. Whereas, water and pollution just runs off the verticals. Granted dirt does stick to the sides, but on a well sealed car it washes off easily without harming the LSP. The flat panels are much more exposed to the elements than the vertical panels.

Don M
10-28-2014, 02:05 PM
My experience has been the opposite, as the horizontals gets pounded by the rain and water and fall out just sits. Whereas, water and pollution just runs off the verticals. Granted dirt does stick to the sides, but on a well sealed car it washes off easily without harming the LSP. The flat panels are much more exposed to the elements than the vertical panels.

But the vertical panels have to deal with the 'high pressure' spray coming off the tires from driving in the rain, that has to put the sides through a beating.

Nick McKees37
10-28-2014, 02:06 PM

A film of dirt on the paint is going to change the beading characteristics of any wax, sealant, or coating.

I don't think anyone else has asked this yet, but how did you prep the paint for application of the sealant when you initially applied it in August?

runrun411
10-28-2014, 02:32 PM
A film of dirt on the paint is going to change the beading characteristics of any wax, sealant, or coating.

I don't think anyone else has asked this yet, but how did you prep the paint for application of the sealant when you initially applied it in August?

So right you are Nick. :xyxthumbs:

To test the real characteristics of a sealant or wax you need to wash the car with a wash that doesn't either leave protection or strip an LSP. Something like D114.

Just my .02

allenk4
10-28-2014, 04:25 PM

Rsurfer....I think you may have misinterpreted my post

I agree that the hood and trunk usually fail before the door and fender panels, for the reasons you stated

11Silverado
10-28-2014, 06:19 PM
I washed, clayed, washed again, then applied sealant. Right now I'm using some kind of Mother's soap. I don't remember the exact kind. Looking to use something different.