PDA

View Full Version : First day with 3401 impressions

Pages : [1] 2

gaschob
10-27-2014, 05:44 PM
I posted awhile back about decided between the 3401 and the pe14 150. I ended up going with the 3401, just received it in the mail today.
I work on two and a half cars today, thought I would quickly share my first impressions.
I have been using the Makita, and before this I used the Dewalt quite a bit. I've also used the Porter Cable random orbit.
First things first, the 3401 is very light compared to the rotary polishers. You can also sense the build quality when you pick it up.
I found the handle that comes with it isn't great, I took it off after the first hour or so. To stick with the positives first, the 3401 works extremely well. With only a few passed with product I'm very familiar with I was getting much faster and clearer results. I think the smaller 6" pads allow a bit more control than the standard 7-8" pads, and the movement of the 3401 insures you aren't leaving buffer trails. The weight also makes it more manageable which in turn produces better results I think.
When it comes to the controls and ergonomics I was less impressed. You can't see what speed setting you're at without turning the machine over, I've found this to be really annoying. Maybe it will be less of an issue once I recognize the sounds of the machine better. I can't seem to find a comfortable way to hold it either, with or without the handle. Compared to the Makita, the vibration is VERY strong. I'm used to a heavy machine, but I felt like the 3401 was trying to wiggle its way out of my hands from time to time. I remember this with my Porter Cable as well, but as the 3401 has more power, it feels a bit worse. So I can't say it was an enjoyable machine to use, but the results were definitely superior. This is only day one, so I will check back again at the end of the week. I'm looking to replace my personal polisher at home as well, I think I may end up with the pe14 150 for personal use. If I find any interesting cars to do, I will post photos as well.

john b
10-27-2014, 05:56 PM
did you use the bale handle or the side handle?

toycar18
10-27-2014, 06:01 PM
I use a side handle... helps a bunch.

FLEX Polisher Side Handle (http://www.autogeek.net/flex-polisher-side-handle.html)

Also you will get use to the speed settings and won't need to look if you use it often enough.

Give it a couple weeks or a month and you will handle it no problem.

gaschob
10-27-2014, 06:16 PM
It only came with the bale handle. I imagine the side would be more comfortable. We'll see how it progresses! I am happy with the results, just some adjustment time needed I hope.
I also think my expectations were pretty high!

Corey@OptimalDetailing
10-27-2014, 07:29 PM
What pads are you using?

Turboclam
10-27-2014, 07:48 PM
I remember the other thread you started. I recommended the 3401 too. I'm with you on the ergonomics. I don't like how you have to hold it. It's awkward and different. I'm getting blisters on my hand at around the base of my thumb. Germans must have big hands lol. If you think the 3401 is light you should try the Flex rotary.

MDX Detailing
10-27-2014, 07:59 PM
i been using my 3401 about 5 times a week for the past several months. now i couldnt live without it. i really like the bale handle, fits me and my style perfectly. i also dont use a handle on my dewalt, i feel i have more of a soft touch.

Sent from my QMV7B using AG Online

Garyhw48
10-27-2014, 10:15 PM
What pads are you using?

This is a excellent question. I used mine all day today on a jet black '08 Lincoln Town Car. The pads you use make a big difference on how smooth the 3401 runs. Used, orange, white and blue CCS 5 1/2" pads and it ran as smooth as silk. Put on a new Rupes blue 6 1/2" cutting pad, just to try it, and the machine vibrated so bad I took it off in a couple of minutes. I didn't try the softer Rupes pads so I can't comment on them. Should have known better than to order pads made specially for another machine but that's my fault, not the machine.

I think the 5 1/2" pads are the best over all including the Hydro-Tech pads. I want to try the Hybrid pads but haven't ordered any yet.

Don't worry, when you get used to running it you will like it.

gaschob
10-28-2014, 06:03 AM
I'm currently using the LC Hydrotech. They are nice pads, I think I prefer the CCS though. I'm definitely going to try the rotary, I used one of the original flex rotaries and really liked it, I imagine its only gotten better. Will post again at the end of the day I guess!

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
10-28-2014, 08:20 AM
Congrats on the 3401!

If you have a chance, order some of the Hybrid pads to try out. These work extremely well with the characteristics of the 3401.

If you need to replace one of your other rotary machines, the PE14 is a top notch unit.

Mike Phillips
10-28-2014, 08:47 AM
Thanks for posting your feedback...

The Flex 3401 is a beast when it comes to correction power without holograms. I think the last 2-3 cars that I've buffed out as my own projects I used the Flex 3401.

The Nova, the 1941 Chrysler Business Coupe, (FrankS helped me power through the Coupe and the 1932 Deuce Coupe.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=81676

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=80547

I used Hybrid pads for all of the above, both the 6.6" and the 5" and in my new how-to book for the Flex 3401 these are the pads I recommend for best results with this tool.

:)

Kamakaz1961
10-28-2014, 09:15 AM
Sorry to hear you have issues with your Flex 3401. My guess you just need to get used to it compared to what you worked with before. I have no issues with the Flex and IMO is the best DA period. I have no "walking or pulling" issues when using it as I am used to the machine. As for pads...I use the 6.5" pads for correcting and the 4" and 5" for finesse work. Either way the Flex is the best DA for me and I think some time using it will be needed.

Corey@OptimalDetailing
10-28-2014, 09:15 AM
Agreed with all others. I have heard that the Hydro-Tech pads work well with the Flex, but the Hybrid pads were designed for the Flex 3401 and it shows. I strictly use the Hybrid pads with my 3401 and controlling it is a breeze. The smaller the pad, the easier it is to control. With the forced rotation and a larger pad, it will try to pull to the edge of a larger pad causing a severe left/right motion. Once you get accustomed to the Flex 3401, a larger pad shouldn't be an issue. It does have a slight learning curve, but once there, it is hard to grab any other machine I own.

Also, any pad I have ever used with a sharp/flat edge on the Flex has caused a pull to me, and I have hours and hours of experience with my 3401.

gaschob
10-29-2014, 06:36 AM
Unfortunately I can't get the hydro tech pads from my local dealer in Ontario.
Day 2 and I'm getting more used to the 3401. I had two black cars today and only used the Flex. I've found it's a big adjustment with using the pads as well, I'm not needing nearly as much product, getting just the right amount seems to make all the difference.
I'm still not comfortable holding it, or the vibrations. I'm also very surprised with how loud the tool is on high speeds. I typically use headphones as ear protection so I didn't realize how loud it really was until one of my work mates commented on it. I can't remember how loud my Porter Cable was so perhaps it's just relative to a rotary polisher. Again, results are good, there is a level of clarity and shine that was very difficult to achieve with the Makita, that comes very naturally with the 3401.

Hazcat
10-29-2014, 09:17 AM
It's a matter of getting accustomed to the machine. Keeping the pad flat is the key. If you lift the rear of the flex it will move left and pushing down of the rear will move it to the right. I like to keep the power level around number 4 and rarely go above. I can run it with one hand but not for very long. If you've run a large floor buffer and use the same technique it's very simple to control.