PDA

View Full Version : Did I do this detail right?

Pages : [1] 2

njgolfer
08-14-2007, 02:19 PM
Worked on my red honda accord this weekend. 2001 with lots of swirls, paint chips primarily on the hood and some small dents.

Washed the car first with WG Auto Bathe, microfiber dried, clayed, rinsed, microfiber dried and then moved onto polishing. Used XMT#3 with orange pad on PC speed #5. Did the entire car, and made sure I broke down the XMT before removing it. However, there were still some scratches or swirls that would not come out. So, I moved on and changed to XMT#1 with a white pad on PC speed #5. Then applied by hand the Vanilla Moose Glaze. The glaze gave it a real nice, deep shine. However, when I went to apply the Natty Blue wax, it just would not go on right. Looked kind of clumpy or spotty in application and also did not wipe off as easy. I ended up using some Carnuba spray detailed from Pinnacle instead which was OK.

So, any comments or suggestions? Should I have skipped the glaze?

Thejoyofdriving
08-14-2007, 02:38 PM
Well you might have not applied the wax thin enough, thats why it was so hard to take off. Also the glaze may have caused bonding issues, thats the only thing I can think of.

njgolfer
08-14-2007, 06:47 PM
Is there bonding issues btw VMG and Natty Blue?

Thejoyofdriving
08-14-2007, 06:52 PM
Is there bonding issues btw VMG and Natty Blue?
Havent used either my self...just theorizing. Remember that glazes contain a lot of oils, which I believe might cause bonding issues. Wax likes to stick to paint not oils. I have not tested it out myself, as its hard to test a thing like this. Just my thoughts, I cant think of any thing else.

Al-53
08-14-2007, 06:55 PM
no..there is no issue with the VM and Natty.s...in fact its a great combo....you may have just put the Natty's on to thick..just use a QD to wipe it down and you should be set....

Glazes and waxes have no issues when used together..glazes were formulated to be use for a wax and not a sealant...

Al

Thejoyofdriving
08-14-2007, 07:55 PM
no..there is no issue with the VM and Natty.s...in fact its a great combo....you may have just put the Natty's on to thick..just use a QD to wipe it down and you should be set....

Glazes and waxes have no issues when used together..glazes were formulated to be use for a wax and not a sealant...

Al

How does the wax bond to the paint if there are oils on the surface?

sparkie
08-14-2007, 08:26 PM
How does the wax bond to the paint if there are oils on the surface?
Most waxes have oils and polymers in them....

njgolfer
08-17-2007, 11:35 AM
I guess I am going to have to QD the car and then break out the Natty Blue and try to put it on real thin...

Glad to see it is not some sort of bonding issue.

Thanks everyone

trlblazer3
08-17-2007, 12:33 PM
Like Al said, definitely no bonding issues with glazes and waxes. VMG and NB will leave a spectacular finish for sure.

Sealants and glazes are another monster.

BlackCoupe
08-17-2007, 01:12 PM
Worked on my red honda accord this weekend. 2001 with lots of swirls, paint chips primarily on the hood and some small dents.

Washed the car first with WG Auto Bathe, microfiber dried, clayed, rinsed, microfiber dried and then moved onto polishing. Used XMT#3 with orange pad on PC speed #5. Did the entire car, and made sure I broke down the XMT before removing it. However, there were still some scratches or swirls that would not come out. So, I moved on and changed to XMT#1 with a white pad on PC speed #5. Then applied by hand the Vanilla Moose Glaze. The glaze gave it a real nice, deep shine. However, when I went to apply the Natty Blue wax, it just would not go on right. Looked kind of clumpy or spotty in application and also did not wipe off as easy. I ended up using some Carnuba spray detailed from Pinnacle instead which was OK.

So, any comments or suggestions? Should I have skipped the glaze?

I did not see where you mentioned doing a good cleaning after the XMT3/XMT1 to remove the polish residue?

BlackCoupe
08-17-2007, 01:17 PM
Joy says--"Remember that glazes contain a lot of oils, which I believe might cause bonding issues. Wax likes to stick to paint not oils."

SOS.

njgolfer
08-29-2007, 11:42 AM
Joy says--"Remember that glazes contain a lot of oils, which I believe might cause bonding issues. Wax likes to stick to paint not oils."

SOS.

Seems like I should have done an alcohol wipedown after glazing? Would that make sense? I like how the glaze really deepened the shine and filled in some swirls, but naturally, the shine doesn't hold up. I have to wash, polish with some XMT360 and put some WG DGPS on.

sriquixotic
08-29-2007, 12:01 PM
chemical guys ez-creme acrylic glaze with any sealant should bond together just fine if the glaze is applied first right?

richy
08-29-2007, 12:09 PM
an alcohol wipedown after the compounding would show if the correction worked and secondly would prepare a clean surface for the next step.

BlackCoupe
08-29-2007, 05:42 PM
Seems like I should have done an alcohol wipedown after glazing? Would that make sense? I like how the glaze really deepened the shine and filled in some swirls, but naturally, the shine doesn't hold up. I have to wash, polish with some XMT360 and put some WG DGPS on.

If you do it after glazing I think it will remove the glaze. You would do the wipedown after the polishing/compounding and before the glazing.