PDA

View Full Version : Australian Concours d'Elegance....I'm ashamed

Vivant511
10-27-2014, 12:37 AM
hi guys,

Was wondering if this would be better suited under the Show n Shine section, but I think here is fine unless told otherwise.

I just attended our Australian Concours d'Elegance event, and really was appalled at the condition most of the exhibitors cars were in.

We do have some of the rarest cars on the planet lurking in the collections of some true enthusiasts and this is perhaps the one time of the year which they come out to stretch their legs, but disappointingly so.

Please have a read of my coverage.

Thanks, Anthony

Motorclassica 2014 was a Successful Disappointment - Detailing, paint protection and car care products - Port Melbourne (http://www.bonvivantautocare.com.au/blogs/news/15707692-motorclassica-2014-was-a-successful-disappointment)

Tato
10-27-2014, 07:56 AM
Well, unless someone can give me a good explanation, I agree it's a shame... In fact, if my Daily Driver looks like what you showed I'd feel bad 'showing it' on the streets, what to say about such important concours...

Definitively this is not what we expect to see in cars prepared for a show'n'shine, may be overwhelming or even unfair saying this, but this event looks like a huge 'Fail' in terms of car's preparation.

I'm not a judge but a car enthusiast - what you showed won't pass my evaluation criteria.

Thanks a lot for sharing,

Kind Regards.

lawrenceSA
10-27-2014, 12:13 PM
WOW

The paint on a lot of our daily rides will look better than that...

Vivant511
10-27-2014, 05:36 PM
Well, unless someone can give me a good explanation, I agree it's a shame... In fact, if my Daily Driver looks like what you showed I'd feel bad 'showing it' on the streets, what to say about such important concours...

Definitively this is not what we expect to see in cars prepared for a show'n'shine, may be overwhelming or even unfair saying this, but this event looks like a huge 'Fail' in terms of car's preparation.

I'm not a judge but a car enthusiast - what you showed won't pass my evaluation criteria.

Thanks a lot for sharing,

Kind Regards.

Thanks Tato, we share the exact sentiments. My customers with their daily driven Honda's overall are in better condition than the majority of these cars.

There was too much emphasis on originality versus condition in the judging. I hope they recalibrate this balance next year onwards.

WOW

The paint on a lot of our daily rides will look better than that...

Yep, that's the big shameful part. All these claimed veterans and big hitters of our auto industry are also either poorly informed of car care, or too cheap to spend an immaterial amount on finishing their cars, after spending tens of thousands on their displays, sponsorship fees and marketing material.

Audios S6
10-27-2014, 07:28 PM
Ignorance is bliss. I'm sure most of the owners are very proud of their cars, but just don't have a clue. Certainly the big names should know better.

And I agree that it is disheartening to have this concourse billed as the best Australia has to offer when most are not even in peak form.

Out of curiosity, why percentage or number would you say had a paint correction done or where properly detailed?

BillE
10-28-2014, 07:29 AM
I do have to agree with you.

If you notice Mike's pictures from last weekends car show, you see the same kind of "work."

OT: What is the font/type style do you use on your 'blog'? I find it super easy to read.

Bill

Vivant511
10-28-2014, 08:47 PM
Ignorance is bliss. I'm sure most of the owners are very proud of their cars, but just don't have a clue. Certainly the big names should know better.

And I agree that it is disheartening to have this concourse billed as the best Australia has to offer when most are not even in peak form.

Out of curiosity, why percentage or number would you say had a paint correction done or where properly detailed?

My sentiments exactly - ignorance is bliss. Not meaning to generalise, but from speaking to one or two owners and spending full days there, the majority of the owners are older who spent most of their lives polishing by t-shirts or whatever practice they were taught many years ago when detailing wasn't even recognised as a skill.

There is no excuse from the large corporate brands there though, skimping on the final 5% is a let down.

From my scouting for the day, I counted 5 in the sea of 100 or so which was truly stunning. One of which was an Aston Martin DB2 which rightfully won Best of Show, and that's not to detract away from the fact the competition wasn't strong. It was sublime, I unfortunately didn't take a photo of it as I thought I'd come back to the stand but didn't have a chance.

I do have to agree with you.

If you notice Mike's pictures from last weekends car show, you see the same kind of "work."

OT: What is the font/type style do you use on your 'blog'? I find it super easy to read.

Bill

Thanks Bill! The Meguiar's Motorex we held earlier this year in Melbourne was just brilliant. They they Mal from The Detailering Pros come down to show demos and consult entrants. That was a brilliant move on their and Meg's behalf.

The font on m site is Lucida Grande which is a standard on my site's platform.

I appreciate that feedback, it helps to know it's easy on the eye in turn making it indirectly more engaging.

Cheers mate :)

BillE
10-29-2014, 06:55 AM
Thank you for the info.

Bill

Mike Phillips
10-29-2014, 07:14 AM
I don't know... the pictures on that page didn't look too horrible, at least I wasn't *shocked*.

Check out the pictures I captured at the car show we went to last Saturday, there's examples of horrific holograms and swirls in show cars.

Pictures: Autogeek at the 6th Annual Palm City Fall Fest Car Show! (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/company-forum-news-headlines/86157-autogeek-6th-annual-palm-city-fall-fest-car-show.html)

Here's an example....

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=83680

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=83681

I was at our local Tuesday night car show last night and was absolutely horrified at some of the swirled out messes that showed up.

But hey... job security!

:dunno:

Christopher.Brown
10-29-2014, 09:04 AM
Unfortunately this is very indicative of all types of Car Shows.

It seems that most people think that a clean and shiny car with dressed rubber and clean glass is the end all of a quality finish.

From local shows to SEMA to the Pebble Beach Concours d' Elegance I have seen similar results from what the OP posted a link to countless times. Sometimes its nearly impossible to turn off inspecting the paint when its your hobby or business.

In time, with a lot of patience, all that can be done is educate the owners in a helpful way that addresses enhancing their show car.I have seen many owners have an "Ah -HA" moment when spoken to about paint defects and have seen many discard it as pointless. I do believe with time the paint condition of cars has improved over time and will do so, its just the nature of the industry....And in the end detailers will be there to help secure those best in show trophies!

aim4squirrels
10-29-2014, 09:10 AM
If nobody's actually judging it, does it really matter?

Seems like we're the only ones that get bent about it. If the Judges don't deduct for paint defects, or they don't deduct enough, it's only lip service when you speak to most owners.

Vivant511
11-08-2014, 11:27 PM
I don't know... the pictures on that page didn't look too horrible, at least I wasn't *shocked*.

Check out the pictures I captured at the car show we went to last Saturday, there's examples of horrific holograms and swirls in show cars.

Pictures: Autogeek at the 6th Annual Palm City Fall Fest Car Show! (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/company-forum-news-headlines/86157-autogeek-6th-annual-palm-city-fall-fest-car-show.html)

Here's an example....

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=83680

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=83681

I was at our local Tuesday night car show last night and was absolutely horrified at some of the swirled out messes that showed up.

But hey... job security!

Thanks Mike. Car meets over here are more or less the same as what you've captured - swirl city. I think the prestige of Motorclassica should mean a few notches up in presentation quality over a less known car show, but it wasn't and that's what irked me. Still, as you say, job security :)

Unfortunately this is very indicative of all types of Car Shows.

It seems that most people think that a clean and shiny car with dressed rubber and clean glass is the end all of a quality finish.

From local shows to SEMA to the Pebble Beach Concours d' Elegance I have seen similar results from what the OP posted a link to countless times. Sometimes its nearly impossible to turn off inspecting the paint when its your hobby or business.

In time, with a lot of patience, all that can be done is educate the owners in a helpful way that addresses enhancing their show car.I have seen many owners have an "Ah -HA" moment when spoken to about paint defects and have seen many discard it as pointless. I do believe with time the paint condition of cars has improved over time and will do so, its just the nature of the industry....And in the end detailers will be there to help secure those best in show trophies!

Thanks Christopher, that's very insightful. I'm in ways glad that this is also the case for other Concours' around the world...doesn't make us look so bad :)

If nobody's actually judging it, does it really matter?

Seems like we're the only ones that get bent about it. If the Judges don't deduct for paint defects, or they don't deduct enough, it's only lip service when you speak to most owners.

I hear you, but shouldn't it matter more to the judges? And this is not just about paint defects I'm talking about...but just presentation as a whole. There were cars with un-vacuumed carpets and dirty glass. Surely standards should be higher?

jarred767
11-08-2014, 11:47 PM
But hey... job security!

So true, I wish it wasn't always the case, but there's always gonna be dirty swirled up messes out there, no matter how many of us "geeks" there are. There's just too many tunnel washes and dealership "detailers" that bang cars out as fast as possible with swirls all over them for us to keep up with.

Sometimes its nearly impossible to turn off inspecting the paint when its your hobby or business.

This is so true! Sometimes I feel like I have to smack myself and enjoy the beauty of some of the cars at car shows because I get too locked into seeing all the defects that could be fairly easily fixed. It is an unfortunate side-effect of what we do I guess :dunno:

TurboToys
11-09-2014, 03:07 AM
one thing that hasn't been mentioned. some people just don't look at paint the same way, shine is shine. what they care about is the car itself, who made it, what memory it holds. etc etc etc... they may not even be aware that their paint is in "bad shape". best to go and ask them if they have considered having the paint reconditioned so it looks brand new. you could get quite a few new customers if you approach them as a possible client instead of a guy who shows up to a car show with a "swirled out mess"...

when we have show and shines here, i keep the car clean, but if there are some swirls from something or another i don't try to correct them every time. leave that for the perfectionists. i'll drive my car more than correct the paint.