PDA

View Full Version : dealer applied poly coating

garyhop
10-25-2014, 04:24 PM
I have just acquired a CPO Mercedes which I think has a dealer option poly coating, like enviro-guard. What finishing products are safe to enhance the finish? Will petroleum base products damage the finish?

FUNX650
10-25-2014, 04:50 PM
I have just acquired a CPO Mercedes which I think has a dealer option poly coating, like enviro-guard. What finishing products are safe to enhance the finish? Will petroleum base products damage the finish?
IMHO:
If the warranty, for this Dealership applied poly coating, didn't come with the vehicle when you bought it...Use whatever finishing products you want to use. Many contain petoleum...in one form or another...whether as solvents, part of the carrier system, emulsion, etc.

Otherwise:
Refer to the third party that underwrote the warranty.

Bob

Don M
10-26-2014, 10:48 AM
IMHO:
If the warranty, for this Dealership applied poly coating, didn't come with the vehicle when you bought it...Use whatever finishing products you want to use. Many contain petoleum...in one form or another...whether as solvents, part of the carrier system, emulsion, etc.

Otherwise:
Refer to the third party that underwrote the warranty.

Bob

:iagree:

jamesboyy
10-26-2014, 11:47 AM
I have to agree with FUNX725(Bob) too

garyhop
10-27-2014, 05:49 AM
Thanks for your replies. But I am really only concerned about preserving the life of the poly finish. I have no warrantee.

RobRabbit2.5
10-27-2014, 06:05 AM
The finish i would be worried about is the paint on the car, not the dealer supplied coating. As far as i know i thought you had to do something very aggressive (sand, buff, scratch) to remove a coating.

If you can strip it with LSP chemicals then it's probably not worth having the dealer supplied coating on the car in the first place. If they offered no warranty on their coating that should tell ya something.

CDot
10-27-2014, 07:29 AM
Thanks for your replies. But I am really only concerned about preserving the life of the poly finish. I have no warrantee.

That's the answer then :) Since you have no warranty for any "poly coating" they've applied--then it's most likely a sealant. The dealer might tell you otherwise--I had one tell me they put a sealant on a Camry I looked at a month ago that prevents rock chips--there is no sealant on any market anywhere that prevents rock chips. I'd treat it like any other sealant like PowerLock, WGDGPS, Sonax PNS, etc. Wash it with a good shampoo and use a good QD or Spray wax as a drying aid if you want.

Bob's advice hits the nail on the head.

IMHO:
If the warranty, for this Dealership applied poly coating, didn't come with the vehicle when you bought it...Use whatever finishing products you want to use.

Also, I noticed you said you "think has a dealer option poly coating" on the car--have you verified that with the selling dealer?

Sbmin
10-27-2014, 07:38 AM
The finish i would be worried about is the paint on the car, not the dealer supplied coating.

:iagree: