PDA

View Full Version : How often to Polish a car in near excellent condition?

Pages : [1] 2

RandyD
10-25-2014, 09:55 AM
I have a 2013 vehicles that has both been polished about once a year with Meguiars OTC polish. I have also used Poor boys Polish with sealant on occasion. I wax both of them with various sealants and or waxes about every month (OCD). Question is how often should I be polishing these cars if I do not see swirls or other correction needed. I saw the new Wolfgang AIO and wondered if I should be using it.

frankprozzoly
10-25-2014, 10:27 AM
That's a good question. I have a 14 accord and I've polished 80% of the car. I think theres one scratch I need to take out of the drivers door. So far I've just been putting down sealant.

The car is silver so it'll be tough to tell if I mar the paint by just claying once in awhile

Don M
10-25-2014, 10:50 AM
A light polish, such as Megs Ultimate Polish can be used monthly with out causing harm. But a better solution is to learn how not to cause scratches and swirls during the washing and drying process.

I noticed that when I clayed my bright yellow cavalier (RIP) that it would leave VERY mild scuffs that looked almost like the car had been wet-sanded on a miniscule level (you had to look REALLY close to see it though.)

sparkism13
10-25-2014, 11:15 AM
Just use a light polishing (white) or fine finishing pad (blue or black) with an AIO and you should be fine.

mwoolfso
10-25-2014, 11:23 AM
Polishing tends to remove contaminates and with limited correction ability so this can be used regularly. If you polish extremely frequently then that may be a problem if you sustained that pace for years; which is why some some polishes are chemical based and do not abrade the paint. These tend to be called pre-wax cleaners. They are chemical-based (rather than abrasive) and can be used daily if you were so inclined.

It's when you "correct" with medium to heavy polishes and compounds that you need to be selective over the life of the vehicle's paint.

RandyD
10-25-2014, 11:26 AM
Just use a light polishing (white) or fine finishing pad (blue or black) with an AIO and you should be fine.

How often? Since polishing is supposed to give the car the shine, how much polishing is too much or too little. Chemical polish or one with light abrasives if no corrections?

RandyD
10-25-2014, 11:27 AM
Polishing tends to remove contaminates and with limited correction ability so this can be used regularly. If you polish extremely frequently then that may be a problem if you sustained that pace for years; which is why some some polishes are chemical based and do not abrade the paint. These tend to be called pre-wax cleaners. They are chemical-based (rather than abrasive) and can be used daily if you were so inclined.

It's when you "correct" with medium to heavy polishes and compounds that you need to be selective over the life of the vehicle's paint.

Thanks

Kamakaz1961
10-25-2014, 01:29 PM
Get a Polish with hardly any cutting ability. I like Menzerna SF4500 it has very little cutting ability. Or a cleaner wax.
That being said...it appears you have that covered. I would just Nanoskin (or Clay bar) your car. If it has no scratches or swirls...IMO polishing is not necessary. Claying (or Nanoskin in my case) would be the way to go.

If you do have to polish then maybe instead of a White pad use a Black Pad or Red (Lake Country Pads for me).

allenk4
10-25-2014, 01:37 PM
"Baggie Test" before claying

Unless you feel something ON the surface, don't clay

"Eye Test" before polishing

In my opinion, unless you see something IN surface of the paint you don't like (swirls, scratches, marring)...you should not polish

This goes back to Mike Phillips mantra of "Least Aggressive" method 1st

frankprozzoly
10-25-2014, 02:08 PM
Does a cleaner wax polish leave a nice shine or does it just clean off your lsp

FUNX650
10-25-2014, 03:27 PM
Have you ever used a "decontamination system" such as IronX, or one of its ilk, on your vehicles? After the vehicle washing/drying is done...I'd do that decon-process next.

Then:
-Claying is determined by "The Baggie Test".
-If claying would be performed, I advise the use of a swirl-finder light source: Auto clays do contain abrasives; paint-marring may have occurred.
-Depending on the swirl-finder results...a polishing process may be needed. Least aggressive method first.
-Once the polishing, if needed, has met your expectations: Apply your choice of an LSP.

Thereafter, and since it sounds like you do not inflict much, if any, paint-marring:
-I'd use a fine/ultrafine polish at least once a year...(maybe twice: Spring & Fall)...to heighten the clarity of the paint.
-Follow that with an application of your choice of LSP.

I see no problems by using a Quik (sic?) Detail Spray/Detail Spray Wax after each car wash session. They should have the properties to assist in maintaining the LSP'd paint finish between the annual/biannual light polishing sessions.

Hope this makes sense; and helps in some way or another.

Bob

AeroCleanse
10-25-2014, 09:57 PM
Do it right once, then apply a good paint coating and forget about polishing it.

Don M
10-26-2014, 08:03 AM
Do it right once, then apply a good paint coating and forget about polishing it.

Pretty much, now just concentrate on not reinstalling scratches and swirls into the paint by using proper maintenance techniques and products until it can't pass the baggie test or you get new swirling etc.

KBsToy
10-27-2014, 07:41 AM
Have you ever used a "decontamination system" such as IronX, or one of its ilk, on your vehicles? After the vehicle washing/drying is done...I'd do that decon-process next.

Then:
-Claying is determined by "The Baggie Test".
-If claying would be performed, I advise the use of a swirl-finder light source: Auto clays do contain abrasives; paint-marring may have occurred.
-Depending on the swirl-finder results...a polishing process may be needed. Least aggressive method first.
-Once the polishing, if needed, has met your expectations: Apply your choice of an LSP.

Thereafter, and since it sounds like you do not inflict much, if any, paint-marring:
-I'd use a fine/ultrafine polish at least once a year...(maybe twice: Spring & Fall)...to heighten the clarity of the paint.
-Follow that with an application of your choice of LSP.

I see no problems by using a Quik (sic?) Detail Spray/Detail Spray Wax after each car wash session. They should have the properties to assist in maintaining the LSP'd paint finish between the annual/biannual light polishing sessions.

Hope this makes sense; and helps in some way or another.

Bob

:iagree:

08krewkab
11-07-2014, 10:08 AM
if you dont see scratches, get inside your car and drive, enjoy it, get out..... dont worry about polishing till you see scratches