PDA

View Full Version : Opinion/Help with swirls and surface

waldron80
08-14-2007, 10:31 AM
I'm getting the Port Cable 7424 for my B-Day and I would like some feedback about the approach I am taking. Take a look at the pics and let me know what you think. Thanks.

My Approach:

XMT 2 with Orange LC pad
XMT 360 with White LC Pad
XMT 180 with Blue LC pad

Is this too much? Too little?

Should I use XMT 1 instead of 360? Should I use another Sealent instead of the 360? Opinion on XMT 180?

Also keep in mind I'm taking this approach because it is very cost effective.

Regards,

Waldron80
Feed back please

budman3
08-14-2007, 12:56 PM
Looking at those swilrs you may need XMT 3. The XMT2 may not remove all of those but the XMT360 will fill in the remaining ones. You may be able to get by with using the XMT2 with the orange pad and then follow up with XMT2 and a white pad and then the XMT360 then the wax... So you can keep your current process and check the results and adjust if needed. You are off to a great start though.

I haven't tried the 360 or 180 but the results I've seen, you can't go wrong.

Thejoyofdriving
08-14-2007, 03:08 PM
I'm getting the Port Cable 7424 for my B-Day and I would like some feedback about the approach I am taking. Take a look at the pics and let me know what you think. Thanks.

My Approach:

XMT 2 with Orange LC pad
XMT 180 with Blue LC pad

Is this too much? Too little?

Should I use XMT 1 instead of 360? Should I use another Sealent instead of the 360? Opinion on XMT 180?

Also keep in mind I'm taking this approach because it is very cost effective.

Regards,

Waldron80
Feed back please

I agree, I dont think that XMT 2 will be powerful enough for those swirls. Like budman said you will probably want to step up to Xmt 3. I would do this:

Xmt 3 with medium cut pad.
Xmt 360 light cut pad
WAIT ~20 HOURS FOR SEALANT TO CURE.
Apply wax.

There are some other products you might want to look at, OPT opti seal for example instead of XMT 360, its almost the same thing but I think you might like it more, it is more cost efficient, you get almost 2x more for just 5 more dollars. Also it does not dust. And instead of xmt 180 you could get liquid souveran or spray souveran. Good luck.

Darren F
08-14-2007, 05:39 PM
2 things....from my understanding 360 does not have fillers and also does not need to cure for that long a period of time...

Meghan
08-14-2007, 06:05 PM
My Approach:

XMT 2 with Orange LC pad
XMT 180 with Blue LC pad

Looks good but they are right you might need XMT 3. Those swirls might be too much for 2.

sparkie
08-14-2007, 07:32 PM
Xmt 3 will work fine with light cutting pad and PC set at 5-6.
Or XMT 360 with cutting pad set at 5-6 I think it would work also...

tommy
10-29-2007, 08:07 PM
For that kind swirl mark in the pics, Is it possible to approch with menz IP or SSR2.5 with LC orange pad? then follow with Menz FN or SSR1 with LC white pad? all will go with UDM... :buffing:

budman3
10-29-2007, 08:40 PM
It all depends on the car. Every manufacturer has a different type of clear coat and how hard it is. On Honda paint like in the picture SSR2.5 and the orange light cut pad would remove 95% of those marks most likely. On a Toyota Highlander I did, here is SSR2.5 and just a polishing pad, on speed 6:

Before-
http://webpages.charter.net/kmford/hl4.jpg

After-
http://webpages.charter.net/kmford/hl8.jpg

Follow that with SSR1 to boost up the shine and gloss. Menzerna IP is harder to work with and is about the same level of cut. But I prefer the SSRs over Menzerna IP and FP with UDM and PC because they produce great results and are much easier to use.

Bonifax
10-29-2007, 09:02 PM
My choice would be definitely Menz IP with LC orange pad or Megs red pad and Menz FP with LC white pad or Megs Finishing pad afterwards. :buffing:

Jimmie
10-29-2007, 10:20 PM
Looking at those swilrs you may need XMT 3. The XMT2 may not remove all of those but the XMT360 will fill in the remaining ones. You may be able to get by with using the XMT2 with the orange pad and then follow up with XMT2 and a white pad and then the XMT360 then the wax... So you can keep your current process and check the results and adjust if needed. You are off to a great start though.

I haven't tried the 360 or 180 but the results I've seen, you can't go wrong.

:iagree:first thing that came to my mind. But like Budman said you may or may not get by with XMT2 also.