PDA

View Full Version : Paste vs liquid

Pages : [1] 2

frankprozzoly
10-24-2014, 02:58 AM
What is your preference

VISITOR
10-24-2014, 03:20 AM
i prefer paste if possible. if you apply thin coats one tin will last you a lifetime and it doesn't go bad as long as you store it at the proper temperature...

Zubair
10-24-2014, 04:28 AM
From a wax point of view, pastes look better as there are less solvents and more carnauba resulting in pastes being harder, making carnauba's liquid requires more solvents and less carnauba,thats what I read somewhere thus making application easier but sacrificng durability and looks.

Don M
10-24-2014, 05:55 AM
A few weeks ago I would have said liquid, but after using the UPW and seeing just how little is used and how far it spreads, right now I'd have to say paste. As a side note, I've used the UPW 3 times so far and it has yet to do any nasty things to my black trim, except make it shiny.

frankprozzoly
10-24-2014, 07:24 AM
I lean towards paste being a little easier to apply by hand. I like the thick consistency of megs#21. That's pretty easy. I like the look but collinite 845 is too runny for me.

Jaretr1
10-24-2014, 11:07 AM
I used to be scared of pastes, but now they are my preference as well. Easier to apply thin and even than a liquid.

With that said, 845 is an excellent liquid, but has to be applied thin thin thin.

FUNX650
10-24-2014, 11:56 AM
From a wax point of view, pastes look better as there are less solvents and more carnauba resulting in pastes being harder, making carnauba's liquid requires more solvents and less carnauba,thats what I read somewhere thus making application easier but sacrificng durability and looks.
^^^I find this hard to believe.^^^

As with any quality Waxes, a few of the main differences would just be:
•Their physical form
•Personal preference for liquid form.
(Ex.: easier for some to pour the Wax product out of the bottle.)

After all:
As you apply paste Wax to an applicator/pad, by any of several methods, it starts to liquefy---becoming even more liquefied as it is spread on the vehicles' panels.

Another passing thought:
Unlike paste Waxes:
Nothing (including applicators/pads) ever goes back into the Waxes' bottles/containers. This...IMHO...equates to: little or no chance of introducing contaminates into the Wax product itself.

Bob

Zubair
10-24-2014, 12:32 PM
Here's something to think about from another website:

There are two forms of car wax, paste and liquid. They differ basically in the amount of solvents. Rock hard Carnauba is diluted with solvents to Sonax Nano Pro Liquid Waxeither the paste form or further diluted to the liquid form. When you apply a paste wax, the friction of application helps melt the wax and evaporate the solvents. A liquid wax contains significantly more volatile solvents that evaporate out when the wax is applied. A liquid wax will never give the same depth of shine or longevity of a paste wax. The excess wax, left over lubricants, excess bonding agents, solvent residues and other goodies left over forms the "haze" that is buffed out to reveal the coat of wax. Paste waxes are difficult to apply by machine. If you wish to apply your coat of wax or sealant by machine, choose a liquid product. A good coat of wax will also add "depth of shine" and reflective gloss to the finish but cannot transform a neglected or abused paint from a pile of rubble into a Pebble Beach Concours winner. For a wax to be effective, it must be applied to a freshly washed and clean surface, as it will enhance the gloss as well as the defects of the surface. If you are not happy with the look and gloss of your paint, apply a pre-wax cleaner before you wax to insure maximum gloss.

swanicyouth
10-24-2014, 12:38 PM
Most liquid waxes are glorified sealants. If your defining a wax as something that has organic "wax" in it - liquids simply have much less because it is harder to get them dissolved.

So, I'll stick with sealants and paste waxes. I see liquid waxes as a compromise.

Kamakaz1961
10-24-2014, 12:38 PM
Paste wax hard or soft. I will not use a liquid wax anymore from 1st hand experience. The depth and wet look was not as good as the paste wax. This IMO.

LSpec
10-24-2014, 12:56 PM
i like paste, I use liquid but I always feel that is a waste.

jakeclk
10-24-2014, 01:38 PM
When applying paste wax by machine, do you prime the pad with wax?

frankprozzoly
10-24-2014, 01:47 PM
I don't know the scientific mumbo jumbo differences. By feel using this applicator, Paste or megs 21 is easier. Collinite 845 is watery and really gets soaked up and gets on my fingers. It almost becomes like a slightly wet rag.

As far as the look, you guys are far better at judging than I am. I really don't notice much ofca difference. But my car is silver so everything looks good

dlc95
10-25-2014, 09:09 PM
I like paste, unless I'm applying by machine.

Usually I start by laying down a layer of sealant, and if the mood strikes, I'll go over that with the paste.

custmsprty
10-25-2014, 09:53 PM
i prefer paste if possible. if you apply thin coats one tin will last you a lifetime and it doesn't go bad as long as you store it at the proper temperature...

:dblthumb2: