PDA

View Full Version : Poorboy's World Products

Pages : [1] 2

RobRabbit2.5
10-23-2014, 10:55 AM
Am i missing the point here?

Kind of makes me think that the only poorboy is going to be you after buying their products. They are more expensive than the other big name companies products.

I don't see the point of the marketing. Unless these are supposed to be competing with the absolute top tier stuff.

Thoughts anyone?

Setec Astronomy
10-23-2014, 11:06 AM
I'm not sure it was supposed to be an inexpensive product line, just one that was fairly priced. IMO the "Poorboy" persona was more about Steve starting out from nothing and the minimalist labeling approach was more of an homage to another local boy who, dissatisfied with available products, started his own--Sal Zaino.

RobRabbit2.5
10-23-2014, 11:12 AM
I'm not sure it was supposed to be an inexpensive product line, just one that was fairly priced. IMO the "Poorboy" persona was more about Steve starting out from nothing and the minimalist labeling approach was more of an homage to another local boy who, dissatisfied with available products, started his own--Sal Zaino.

That's interesting. I see what you mean. I did read the header on the poorboys page on AG after posting which said something similar.

Its possibe i'm a sucker for marketing. I like to think i'm not but for some reason these just really don't do it for me. I hadn't even considered it before today. However some of the products seem to have a loyal following and good testimonials.

If there are any PBs Products that the forum members recommend i'll give them a try. I'll try anything once, and if it involves a woman twice just to be sure..:)

Setec Astronomy
10-23-2014, 11:30 AM
Well, perception has a lot to do with these things. Since Poorboy's is somewhat local to me, I perhaps have a different perspective.

If you feel that a company like Meguiar's (which is now owned by 3M) is a huge faceless organization with products developed by a bunch of guys in white lab coats who have never washed a car, then you'd love Poorboy Steve who is just a regular guy who has been polishing cars forever and wanted to develop his own line of products to his satisfaction--it's the personal touch.

Desertnate
10-23-2014, 11:37 AM
I've used the following PB products and really like them:

- Black Hole glaze
- Bug Squash bug/tar remover
- All Purpose Cleaner
- Super Slick w/ Suds car shampoo
- Pro Polish (more of a paint cleaner...but still a good product)

EX-P looks good, but doesn't last very long.

CDot
10-23-2014, 11:39 AM
Although I've never used any of their stuff, I think they are priced quite well. I have their Spray & Wipe in my cart waiting for the next 20%+ or Fall Back sales.

RobRabbit2.5
10-23-2014, 11:41 AM
Well, perception has a lot to do with these things. Since Poorboy's is somewhat local to me, I perhaps have a different perspective.

If you feel that a company like Meguiar's (which is now owned by 3M) is a huge faceless organization with products developed by a bunch of guys in white lab coats who have never washed a car, then you'd love Poorboy Steve who is just a regular guy who has been polishing cars forever and wanted to develop his own line of products to his satisfaction--it's the personal touch.

Yea i like that. I try to find products that started the same way like meguiars and collinite. I give anyone respect that had the guts to make that vision a reality and go with it.

Any products that you recommend? I love washes and wax so maybe SS&S and Natty's Blue Paste wax?

RobRabbit2.5
10-23-2014, 11:42 AM
Although I've never used any of their stuff, I think they are priced quite well. I have their Spray & Wipe in my cart waiting for the next 20%+ or Fall Back sales.

whats a fall back sale?

van185
10-23-2014, 11:47 AM
I have used Poorboys products for years now and keep buying them. The Spray and Rinse Wheel Cleaner is the best whell cleaner that I've used. It cleans when other products don't. I use Bold and Bright on all my details. It dries to a nice shine and don't sling off. The Natty's line of wax is better than most of the more expensive brands. It beads really nice and last a couple of months on a daily driver. Just the name of the Bird SH** Remover made me buy it. I'm not sure what it does but it does clean the Bird SH** off of cars, which I guess is what it is meant to do. The Bug Squash is my favorite bug remover. It really does make the bugs just roll off the front of the car. Pro Polish 2 is another great product. I bought a gallon the last time AG ran a sale. It works great on water spots and I've started using it on water spots on windows, which makes them look awsome. I use Wheel Sealant on all my details and the wheels always look great and dirt just washs right off after using it. I got a free sample of their Glass CLeaner and now it is the only Glass CLeaner that I use. SO to answer your question aobut their labeling and pricing I really do like their product line. In fact if I could only use one line of products for the price and quality it would be Poorboys. Also if you ever need to call the company you will always get an answer right away and almost always talk to Pockets or Steve. I don't think that the products will disappoint you in the least. I've not tried them all but what I have work well.

Setec Astronomy
10-23-2014, 11:53 AM
The Spray and Rinse Wheel Cleaner is the best whell cleaner that I've used. It cleans when other products don't.

The reason it works well is because it's an ABF (ammonium bifluoride) wheel cleaner, so the normal HF/ABF cautions would apply.

Desertnate
10-23-2014, 11:57 AM
I'll also say their claims of the products being usable in direct sun are true. I've used all the products I listed earlier in sun just to see what would happen.

They don't work as well in direct sun as they do in cool shade, but they do work.

CDot
10-23-2014, 12:14 PM
I love washes and wax so maybe SS&S and Natty's Blue Paste wax?

People on here LOVE the Natty's waxes, the Wheel wax is also well-liked. If you go to the "All Products" page, you'll see that they have some of the highest average ratings of any of the brands here on AG.

whats a fall back sale?

The "Fall Back" Sales are when AG discounts groups of products by-day over a week's time (i.e. all WG, Pinnacle, Poorboy's, and Meguiar's are discounted 25-50% for a day). The next day they will do another group of product lines and so-on. The discounts are only good for one day, so if you're a fan of a specific line, it's the best time during the year to purchase. Not sure if they are doing it this year, but last year's was awesome.

They also have a Black Friday sale after Thanksgiving that is normally a 25% straight discount/free shipping with no min and a good Cyber Monday sale if you miss that one.
They have "12 Days of Christmas" sales and an awesome New Years Sale if you can wait that long.

RobRabbit2.5
10-23-2014, 01:26 PM
People on here LOVE the Natty's waxes, the Wheel wax is also well-liked. If you go to the "All Products" page, you'll see that they have some of the highest average ratings of any of the brands here on AG.

The "Fall Back" Sales are when AG discounts groups of products by-day over a week's time (i.e. all WG, Pinnacle, Poorboy's, and Meguiar's are discounted 25-50% for a day). The next day they will do another group of product lines and so-on. The discounts are only good for one day, so if you're a fan of a specific line, it's the best time during the year to purchase. Not sure if they are doing it this year, but last year's was awesome.

They also have a Black Friday sale after Thanksgiving that is normally a 25% straight discount/free shipping with no min and a good Cyber Monday sale if you miss that one.
They have "12 Days of Christmas" sales and an awesome New Years Sale if you can wait that long.

Thanks alot! Excellent information. I have been trying to find this out for some time.

As it is nearing the very end of the detailing season here in cold and salty Ohio I will be waiting on one of these fallback sales. If poorboy's is one of those offered i will definitely try out some of their products.

I think a name like Perfectionists SPF World would have gotten the message across easier but hey that's just literal old me.Im the MAN

ulrads1
10-23-2014, 01:33 PM
I own a couple of poorboys items and I really like them. I love their white diamond glaze. They don't have all this fancy packaging but they do what they claim.

swanicyouth
10-23-2014, 01:57 PM
PBs stuff is pretty cheap and quite good. I'm not sure what the OP was getting at, but a small amount of their stuff is similarly priced to the competition, but most of the stuff is much less.

I mean, it's prolly not K Mart cheap - but there is a point where you get what you pay for.

I'll support PBs, Prima, Dodo, Victoria Wax, and similar before I buy any of the brands you find in Walmart.