PDA

View Full Version : Volkswagen GTI Rust protection

wssviper
10-22-2014, 07:01 PM
Hey guys,

I have a 4 year old VW GTI, with no sign of rust anywhere so far. I live in south east ontario, Canada, where we have plenty of salt on the road during the snowy months of nov-april. I have searched dozens of forums and posts , but can not get a clear answer as to whether Volkswagens need any 3rd party rust protection. The canadian VW site itself says it is not necessary and may even interfere with their factory installed rust protection.

In Canada here, Krown Rust Control (https://www.krown.com/) is constantly mentioned as a great service for rust protection. I was worried about having this done to my car as they actually drill holes to get their product in to the door panels, etc).

My question is, do I need any type of Rust Protection in Canadian climate for my VW? Should I apply it myself using some recommended product without drilling holes? Should I listen to what the VW site says, or is it just a very general statement from the VW website? Is rust proofing really necessary if you clean your car properly using all of the techniques for detailing mentioned on Autogeek?

Thanks very much guys,

Viper

miad
10-22-2014, 07:18 PM
what do you mean by rust protection? like drilling holes in the doors and putting a solution in there and using a rust inhibitor or undercoat on the underbody areas? or coating the paint?

my best friend just bought a 2010 GTI out of Chicago so I would like to know as well.

wssviper
10-22-2014, 07:23 PM
Hey miad,

I don't know the technology well, but this video explains much of your question:

https://www.krown.com/process/

CopperMtnGuy
10-22-2014, 07:25 PM
I live in WI...a part that is north of Toronto by a bit. For salt, I would just make sure the paint is well sealed, spray some fluid film or silicone spray in the door jambs, to make them easy to rinse out. Rinse off everything from the paint, to door jambs, undercarriage once or twice a week. Wash once a week, max every 2 weeks if you rinse every week. So just keep it clean and you'll be just fine.

Ryan509
10-22-2014, 07:59 PM
hey bud, i am just 2 hours west of ottawa. i drive an 06 impala and i have it underoiled. Yes it sucks seeing such a ugly car with oil dripping but it's something you gotta deal with. once the rust starts it don't stop. where abouts in ontario are you?

wssviper
10-22-2014, 08:30 PM
I actually live in Ottawa..lol

Ryan509
10-23-2014, 06:41 PM
ooo haha i'll shoot you a pm here in a bit

RPPM
10-24-2014, 04:30 PM
From recollection, VW has some of the best rust through warranty in the business. They are double galvanized as I understand it. I can tell you every european car I have owned has never rusted, not one bit. I have also had pretty good luck with most american nameplates. Japanese name plates not so much, but the Japanese nameplates also ran forever.

SameGuy
10-24-2014, 11:07 PM
That's why a Lotus Elise is the perfect winter car: CF body over an aluminum tub with a Corolla GTS engine! ;)