PDA

View Full Version : What to do going forward?

wssviper
10-22-2014, 06:52 PM
I recently purcahsed a 4 year old, 2011 VW GTI that has received regular automated car washes, but has never been polished, waxed, sealanted or anything of the sort. So, I wanted to do a full detail in my parent's garage from start to finish and started with a wash, clay, and polish (Optimum Compound with Orange, then Optimum hyper Polish with white pad). At that point, I ran out of time and had to drive the car out of my parent's garage. I did not get the chance to seal or wax the paint. By the way, I have the Meguiars gold class Caranuba Wax and Blackfire Wet Diamond all finish paint sealant. Now, I have been working in my parent's garage do to all the above work but won't have access to this anymore, and am forced to leave my car in the freezing temperatures of Ottawa, Canada (approx -20 c during the winter) until next spring.

Since the temperatures are getting quite cold here in Canada and since I won't be able to do a full detail until next spring, I was hoping to do my best maintenance washes at a DYI manual bay (2 bucket method or using ONR) and so I picked up some meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax to provide SOME protection at least until next spring where I get to do a full detail job again. having said that, there is an indoor heated bay wash in the city that I can take my car to and will at the very least 2 a complete two bucket wash or ONR. However, I am not too sure I will be allowed to spend that much time in there where I will be able to do a full on 2 bucket wash AND a hand sealant and/or wax application.

Questions:
1. From the scenerio and the situation i am faced with for the upcoming winter, would taking my car to either the heated indoor bay or the outdoor DYI bay, doing a 2 bucket wash and applying a spray wax (Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax) be a reasonable resolution in terms of protecting the paint as best as possible before next spring where I can do a full detail job in my parents garage again?

2. If I am allowed to spend a long amount of time at the heated indoor bay to do a full 2 bucket wash AND apply a hand sealant, given the original scenerio i described, do i need to do a 2 bucket wash, clay bar and then apply the sealant at the indoor bay?

jamesboyy
10-22-2014, 08:32 PM
Sorry to hear your situation, though you could always just apply a few layers of sealant/wax during the day if it's warm enough (above 50) after a quick ONR wash, however IMO spray wax may not be strong enough on it's own to handle all the salt, and winter contamination, that said option two would be your best choice, though consider Carpro Hydro2, and easy to use sealant that takes half of the time, and can be performed in time restricted self serve car washes

wssviper
10-23-2014, 03:51 PM
Thanks very much for the tip jamesboy. Carpro Hydro 2 seems kind of expensive, do you think its worth it?

jamesboyy
10-23-2014, 04:41 PM
Your welcome, and yes I do feel it would work best for you with your current situation, then when you go to self serve car wash if you wanna add a spray wax you can do that also

dcjredline
10-23-2014, 08:20 PM
Well worth it!!!!

Sent from my XT1030 using AG Online