PDA

View Full Version : Distilled water and black paint....

Pages : [1] 2 3

Lexi65
10-21-2014, 06:38 PM
Car wash tip for black cars/hard water/dry climate (http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/6928-Car-wash-tip-for-black-cars-hard-water-dry-climate)

Just read this and wonder if I could actually spay a final
rinse with distilled water without drying paint, especially with
Good LSP.

Feed back please. :buffing:

swanicyouth
10-21-2014, 07:49 PM
You can - and I do it. However, you likely will want to wipe the car down with something if it's black and you want it perfect.

However, you won't have to deal with any water spots really. The thing is, it's impractical to use 100% DI water during 100% of the wash cycle. So, most people just use DI water for the final rinse.

Therefore, some water can dry if your washing in any type of sun at all and leave very slight water spots - no matter how careful you are. But, these spots are easily just wiped off if your process is correct.

The cool thing about DI water is you can just let the car dry in the sun or drip dry in the garage - come back, then wipe it down. It really does make a big difference.

KMdef9
10-21-2014, 07:55 PM
I haven't tried using DI water (besides that Mr. Clean thing that came and went years ago), but, wouldn't you want to sheet the DI water, not spray it? Spraying it on flat/horizontal panels won't go anywhere. Or is that OP from the other site blasting it with that sprayer?

Lexi65
10-21-2014, 08:00 PM
Thanks for replying. I just recently learned that we can do
our own hand car washes in our garage although we are limited to short periods of time. Hence, we don't have a long time to
fuss over the "small" stuff.

My car is a garage Queen so it gets more dusty than dirty.
It would be a real time saver given my restrictions.

davey g-force
10-21-2014, 08:12 PM
You sound like a good candidate for rinseless / waterless washing! :)

allenk4
10-21-2014, 08:35 PM
...wouldn't you want to sheet the DI water, not spray it? Spraying it on flat/horizontal panels won't go anywhere. Or is that OP from the other site blasting it with that sprayer?

The their behind using high pressure DI innthe rinse phase is that you want to displace the tap water from the cracks and crevices and replace it w DI

You could sheet with DI, as long as you turn the flow down enough that it is within the GPM treatment ability of your system

Lexi65
10-21-2014, 09:13 PM
The their behind using high pressure DI innthe rinse phase is that you want to displace the tap water from the cracks and crevices and replace it w DI

You could sheet with DI, as long as you turn the flow down enough that it is within the GPM treatment ability of your system

I don't have a "system". The original other party was
using a fertilizer-type hand garden sprayer.

allenk4
10-21-2014, 09:22 PM
I don't have a "system". The original other party was
using a fertilizer-type hand garden sprayer.

Try it out

If it does not work, Home Depot has a very liberal return policy

Looking forward to hearing about your results

harleymike
10-21-2014, 09:25 PM
I have a RODI system for making water for my saltwater tanks. I use this in a sprayer for my final rinse. No spotting.

Lexi65
10-21-2014, 09:32 PM
I have a RODI system for making water for my saltwater tanks. I use this in a sprayer for my final rinse. No spotting.

Please provide details e.g., brand of sprayer, size of sprayer
Etc. and specific washing process.

Thanks a bunch! Feed back please

harleymike
10-21-2014, 09:46 PM
I wash, two bucket system. Use foam gun. Just normal water for this stage.
Use a hand held pump type pesticide sprayer I got form Princess Auto that has RODI water in it for final rinse. Then I use a electric leaf blower to dry the car.
Only time cloth touches paint is washing, and there is always a thick coat of soap from the foam gun. Use chemical guys soap.
Works best with a good coat of wax/sealant so water beads off with blower. Any remaining water does not leave spots. I have a TDS meter, and my RODI water is 0 TDS.

Lexi65
10-21-2014, 11:43 PM
I wash, two bucket system. Use foam gun. Just normal water for this stage.
Use a hand held pump type pesticide sprayer I got form Princess Auto that has RODI water in it for final rinse. Then I use a electric leaf blower to dry the car.
Only time cloth touches paint is washing, and there is always a thick coat of soap from the foam gun. Use chemical guys soap.
Works best with a good coat of wax/sealant so water beads off with blower. Any remaining water does not leave spots. I have a TDS meter, and my RODI water is 0 TDS.

Do you have black paint?

harleymike
10-21-2014, 11:45 PM
Yup black mustang and black express ram

swanicyouth
10-22-2014, 07:00 AM
I could not imagine spraying a car down with DI in a hand pump sprayer. Your not just getting the car wet - but trying to displace all the water on the car. I assumed the OP was talking about a CR Spotless.

davey g-force
10-22-2014, 01:53 PM
:iagree: