PDA

View Full Version : Removing oxidation, newby question.

Aririguzo
10-21-2014, 07:36 AM
Hey guys, I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction of a good video explaining the process of removing oxidation, or could quickly explain the process.

I believe I'd have to wash,clay, then remove with a light compound and rotary, then finish with a orbital just as I'd remove scratches, but I'm still not 100% sure. Thanks in advance guys.

toycar18
10-21-2014, 07:57 AM
Hey guys, I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction of a good video explaining the process of removing oxidation, or could quickly explain the process.

I believe I'd have to wash,clay, then remove with a light compound and rotary, then finish with a orbital just as I'd remove scratches, but I'm still not 100% sure. Thanks in advance guys.

Autogeek has a ton of videos on YouTube.

Aririguzo
10-21-2014, 07:59 AM
I saw one with mike removing oxidation from a 2003 honda civic I believe, are there any more informative videos that you know about?

lawrenceSA
10-21-2014, 07:59 AM
I assume when referring to oxidation you are referring to single stage paint.

if so, this is the thread you need to read.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/25304-secret-removing-oxidation-restoring-show-car-finish-antique-single-stage-paints.html

Aririguzo
10-21-2014, 08:04 AM
I assume when referring to oxidation you are referring to single stage paint.

if so, this is the thread you need to read.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/25304-secret-removing-oxidation-restoring-show-car-finish-antique-single-stage-paints.html

You're a saint brother, thank you.

Mike Phillips
10-21-2014, 08:29 AM

What are you working on?

New car?
Old car?
Boat?
Motorhome?

If it's a "modern" car that's older with a clearcoat are you sure it's oxidation and not clearcoat failure? Or beginning clearcoat failure?

:)

Aririguzo
10-21-2014, 08:43 AM
What are you working on?

New car?

Old car?

Boat?

Motorhome?

If it's a "modern" car that's older with a clearcoat are you sure it's oxidation and not clearcoat failure? Or beginning clearcoat failure?

:)

Currently a black 2006 Cadillac DTS, I'm certain there's no signs of clear cost failure, the defects happen to be on the car hood and trunk.

:>