PDA

View Full Version : Any way to keep the undercarriage looking new?

Pages : [1] 2

FORDDRVR
10-20-2014, 03:48 PM
On a brand new P/U truck is it possible to keep the underside looking new or nearly new? I'm not talking about detailing under the truck but im not opposed to getting on the creeper if I have to. Does anyone have any tips or tricks for this or is it uncharted territory not worth the hassle

expdetailing
10-20-2014, 04:04 PM
amsoil hd metal protector

Kurtopia
10-20-2014, 04:04 PM
Have you looked into undercoating?

KMdef9
10-20-2014, 04:15 PM
Have you looked into undercoating?

That's what I have on mine.

Not show room/car show good, but for a DD, it looks great!

miad
10-20-2014, 04:38 PM
I do a lot of undercoating. Its a service I offer. I just buy cans of rustoleum brand undercoat spray and truck bed liner spray. The undercoat dries a little bit grayish black while the truck bed liner spray dries very black and a little glossy. Bed liner looks by far the best but its twice the cost per can.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AG Online

jarred767
10-20-2014, 05:00 PM
So do you just spray the entire undercarriage with the coating? Sorry if it's a newb question, I have no experience in the area.

KMdef9
10-20-2014, 05:30 PM
So do you just spray the entire undercarriage with the coating? Sorry if it's a newb question, I have no experience in the area.

The place I had it done does. Not on things like exhaust, driveshaft, trans and motor.

They also spray a different chemical into doors, fenders and running boards.

Id pay a professional for it. Cost me $200 for initial coating and 40 bucks a year for touch ups.

expdetailing
10-20-2014, 06:46 PM
Personally, I don't like the coatings spoken of above.
I used some for my jeep about 5 years ago and the coating turned ash-grey after awhile, and started coming a little loose after awhile. Once you coat it with that stuff, that's what you're stuck with.

miad
10-20-2014, 06:57 PM
Yes you just spray it on but avoid areas that get hot and brake rotors. Otherwise I just cover everything. Wear gloves and glasses. Depending on the brand some will last longer than others. Will it last forever? Does anything? No matter how much you spend its eventually going to fade and chip. Especially on something with big tires that tends to be driven in the dirt like jeeps. But most importantly it makes everything look nice and clean, makes the vehicle quieter with the sound deadening, and prevents rust from forming. I highly recommend it.

expdetailing
10-20-2014, 07:02 PM
It looked terrible after one year.

KMdef9
10-20-2014, 07:26 PM
I'm on 2 years and it looks good.

miad
10-20-2014, 07:46 PM
Could be preparation, environment, how the vehicle is driven, etc.... but you do get what you pay for too. Pay $20 to undercoat a vehicle and expect to have to redo it every so often.

Garyhw48
10-20-2014, 10:46 PM
Personally, I don't like the coatings spoken of above.
I used some for my jeep about 5 years ago and the coating turned ash-grey after awhile, and started coming a little loose after awhile. Once you coat it with that stuff, that's what you're stuck with.

I agree, many years ago some of the car companies started using a wax substance that looked like white carnauba sprayed on the inside of fenders and other places prone to rust. It was probably more complicated than just wax but I saw a video on TV and have wondered ever since if we couldn't spray the undercarriage of our cars with something like this to keep them looking new.

I spray the under side of mine often with quick detailers that contain wax to keep the painted surfaces from weathering and looking bad. It may be a useless effort but this subject is very interesting.

I wish I knew more about it. A good topic to discuss and investigate. Thanks for bringing it up.

Don M
10-21-2014, 12:34 PM
On a brand new P/U truck is it possible to keep the underside looking new or nearly new? I'm not talking about detailing under the truck but im not opposed to getting on the creeper if I have to. Does anyone have any tips or tricks for this or is it uncharted territory not worth the hassle

Since your in Tx and not the rust belt, perhaps a routine soaking with a foam gun, followed by a good rinse could be all you need.

crxdx
10-21-2014, 12:47 PM
I spray the underside of mine with fluid film. Great stuff leaves a waxy residue behind.