PDA

View Full Version : Festool RO 150 FEQ users beware, backing plate flew off for two owners

Pages : [1] 2 3

ZoranC
08-13-2007, 09:10 PM
Approximately week ago Festool RO 150 FEQ owner on Autopia posted that his backing plate flew off during work (I will not be posting link in order not to risk breaking rules, but you can find his thread if you search for Festool).

At that point in time I could not see how that can happen. Well, as of this weekend I can see how that can happen because bp on my own 150 FEQ flew off on me. However, when it did that tool was not operating under conditions it was exactly designed for.

Tool was in random orbit mode. I was working with it for a while at speed 1. Metal part of "dust extraction port" was heating up due to it, as well as rest of the tool, and I could feel it (I was working with handle off). I have decided to lift the tool of the paint and run it a little bit in the air at speed 6 to increase air flow and cool it down. Some 15 seconds later or so bp separated itself from the tool and flew off.

Thank God nobody was hit and nothing was damaged due to it. I have taken a look at it and separation was not due to mechanical failure. Also bp did not separate itself for a while prior to it, it did it in those seconds when it was at full speed in the air.

Therefore it seems to be due to fact that no resistance against pad on one side with being thrown back and forth due to inertia on other side alllowed bp to wiggle itself eventually free.

Once bp was put back on it continued being used without any further failures. However, I was not using it at speed 6 so that factor might still remain.

I will be trying to contact Festool on this matter.

P.S. I have started thread on Autopia on same subject too. Again, I will not be posting link but you can find it if you search.

ScottB
08-13-2007, 09:30 PM
Zoran I think this is a valid post and warning to Festool owners. I suggest following his post on the other board if owning or considering purchase of machine. Thank you for comments, and look forward to update when possible.

Thejoyofdriving
08-13-2007, 10:12 PM
Gezzzz, that backing plate could do some real damage! :eek::eek:Thats very odd, I have always felt that the 150 is a very well built solid machine, and that it is second to none in quality. This is very strange. I am interested in hearing what festool has to say. Keep us posted!

ZoranC
08-13-2007, 11:11 PM
It is solid built but it seems to need full pad contact with surface. Mine flew off when it was in the air. Other owner's flew off while it was, reportedly, just in partial contact with the surface as he was working on the curve of the car. Both happened at speed 6. He got refund. I will be calling tomorrow to discuss refund.

Personally I am very lucky that nobody got hurt / nothing got damaged because trust me, when you see the force that thing is flung with there is some serious kinetic energy behind it that could do some extremely serious damage because it is a rotating object with an "edge".

Other owner was, reportedly, not so lucky because plate put two dents in his friend's car.

Thejoyofdriving
08-13-2007, 11:27 PM
It is solid built but it seems to need full pad contact with surface. Mine flew off when it was in the air. Other owner's flew off while it was, reportedly, just in partial contact with the surface as he was working on the curve of the car. Both happened at speed 6. He got refund. I will be calling tomorrow to discuss refund.

Personally I am very lucky that nobody got hurt / nothing got damaged because trust me, when you see the force that thing is flung with there is some serious kinetic energy behind it that could do some extremely serious damage because it is a rotating object with an "edge".

Other owner was, reportedly, not so lucky because plate put two dents in his friend's car.
I am guessing it is because of the added force of the 6.5 inch pads, it was not ment to operate under the stress of a 6.5inch pad. I ran mine in the air at speed 6 with a 6inch pad and i didnt have any problems, now I didnt leave it running for 15 seconds, but it held. I have also ran mine for quite a while with out full pad contact, not problems. I think you should try sticking with a 6inch pad. But I want to hear what they tell you tomorrow. Will festool pay for the damages done by the backing plate on that guys car?

ZoranC
08-13-2007, 11:56 PM
I am guessing it is because of the added force of the 6.5 inch pads, it was not ment to operate under the stress of a 6.5inch pad. I ran mine in the air at speed 6 with a 6inch pad and i didnt have any problems, now I didnt leave it running for 15 seconds, but it held. I have also ran mine for quite a while with out full pad contact, not problems. I think you should try sticking with a 6inch pad.
:applause: Good thinking.

I did not have a chance to think it through as my nose was too deep in work but their specs do call for maximum pad size of 6" and it is entirely possible higher than designed centrifugal force with no resistance or with very little resistance might result in dislodging. It is also very possible larger than backing plate pad results in less than perfect centering and resulting uneven centrifugal forces too have a chance of resulting in dislodging. There is a chance I have spoken prematurely and that it might be an operator error after all.

Whose pads you are using right now, Festool's? Did you find source for 6" pads? I am tempted to get one 6" pad and give it a try. If it still fails under same conditions then we know for sure what it is.

Will festool pay for the damages done by the backing plate on that guys car?
I don't think he asked for that. I think he was just upset and wanted his money back.

P.S. How you like that, you got compliment from me on good thinking?

Thejoyofdriving
08-14-2007, 12:22 AM
:applause: Good thinking.

I did not have a chance to think it through as my nose was too deep in work but their specs do call for maximum pad size of 6" and it is entirely possible higher than designed centrifugal force with no resistance or with very little resistance might result in dislodging. It is also very possible larger than backing plate pad results in less than perfect centering and resulting uneven centrifugal forces too have a chance of resulting in dislodging. There is a chance I have spoken prematurely and that it might be an operator error after all.

Whose pads you are using right now, Festool's? Did you find source for 6" pads? I am tempted to get one 6" pad and give it a try. If it still fails under same conditions then we know for sure what it is.

I don't think he asked for that. I think he was just upset and wanted his money back.

P.S. How you like that, you got compliment from me on good thinking?

I use the festool white foam pad. I found one at a wood shop which is a VERY large festool distributor. They have pretty much every thing festool makes that is available in the U.S.
the white pad is fairly soft, and follows the curves of the car very well. However the pad is too soft for compounding or heavier polishing. It works great with finishing polishes and wax applications. The also have a "course" pad available, this however is much too rough for polishing from what I can remember, it had very large pores and felt rather harsh. I have thought about cutting a CCS pad down to size, but it would be rather hard to get a clean cut. If you take a quick look back at that thread I made about the 6inch pads there were a few good suggestions. I am going to call AG tomorrow to see if they can get me some of those original edge pads, they are hard to find.

"P.S. How you like that, you got compliment from me on good thinking?" I had to read it twice over to believe it.

tod071
08-14-2007, 12:43 AM
Have either of you ever removed BP? This happened to me, but I found that the BP needs alot of force when replacing. After turning it into its place, you need to turn it even more until the release button actually clicks and resets itself.

After my bp flying off about 4 times while doing a car, I put it aside, finished up with pc, and resolved this after I completed the job. No harm done to the car. Just alot of frustration.

ZoranC
08-14-2007, 01:23 AM
I had to read it twice over to believe it.
LOL Well, I always say it like it is and I don't play favorites, so if I feel somebody is not logical I say it just like when I feel somebody is, regardless of who it is. Same goes for admitting my own mistakes and responsibilities.

ZoranC
08-14-2007, 01:30 AM
Have either of you ever removed BP? This happened to me, but I found that the BP needs alot of force when replacing.
Other owner did not, he said he used it straight out of the box. I did though.

After turning it into its place, you need to turn it even more until the release button actually clicks and resets itself.
I have followed manual. It does not say anything about waiting for spindle stop to click. It says press spindle stop, mount plate, release spindle stop. There is no way (that I see) that spindle stop can click if you are holding it pressed and releasing it only after you push bp as far as you can. Are you keeping spindle stop pressed like manual says?

tod071
08-14-2007, 01:42 AM
Are you keeping spindle stop pressed like manual says?
Yup, tension was just harder than expected. I'm just sharing my experience. Is yours securley fastened? BPs don't go flying off for no reason if they are secured properly. Mine wasn't, so it flew off. After properly securing it, I don't have any problems.

ZoranC
08-14-2007, 02:25 AM
Yup, tension was just harder than expected. I'm just sharing my experience. Is yours securley fastened? BPs don't go flying off for no reason if they are secured properly. Mine wasn't, so it flew off. After properly securing it, I don't have any problems.
Then how it can click if it is fully pressed in? I don't get it. Are you sure you are pressing yours fully in? I get click on mine only when it is not fully pressed in but then bp can be easily removed by hand.

I can see how bp can separate even when fully pushed in. Driving mechanism is depending on tooth on tool constantly pushing against bottom of notch on bp. If bp ends up outpacing mounting mechanism because there is no friction to push it back it will dislodge.

Thejoyofdriving
08-14-2007, 02:52 PM
Then how it can click if it is fully pressed in? I don't get it. Are you sure you are pressing yours fully in? I get click on mine only when it is not fully pressed in but then bp can be easily removed by hand.

I can see how bp can separate even when fully pushed in. Driving mechanism is depending on tooth on tool constantly pushing against bottom of notch on bp. If bp ends up outpacing mounting mechanism because there is no friction to push it back it will dislodge.

Talked to Festool yet?

ZoranC
08-14-2007, 04:41 PM
Talked to Festool yet?
Got their voice mail 3 hours ago. Left a message. As of now no call back.

Thejoyofdriving
08-14-2007, 08:00 PM
Got their voice mail 3 hours ago. Left a message. As of now no call back.

:(