PDA

View Full Version : Chrome Polish

Pages : [1] 2

BritOn2wheels
06-14-2006, 02:33 PM
What are you fellow motorcycle enthusiasts using to clean and protect your chrome? :grouphug:

Spent a couple of hours last night detailing my shiny parts while pondering one of life's great mysteries: Namely "Is there an easier way than this to keep this thing clean?"

scooterguitar
06-14-2006, 03:52 PM
No there isn't an easier way! I have tried many chrome polishes. A lot depends on what your polishing. My bike has very old chrome parts and new ones. For newer or just to shine up, use the least abrasive you can find to prevent micromarring, I like Wenol blue for this (beat out simichrome and the new Maas). For tough grit or even small rust, I usually use NeverDull and dip it in some polish thta is handy. Believe it or not, a polish I just happen to buy because I saw my mech who makes $50k choppers use it on my bike is: Plain old Turtle Wax chrome polish, $1.80 at Wally World. It's abrasive, but works pretty darn good.
I have ClearKote's metal which is a liquid on order, heard godo things and being liquid could make things easier.
I want to try: teh English Metal (not sure, but some name like this), Meg's Metal Polysh (worth a try I figure), and anymore I come across. For the record, the Maas reminds me of a cross between Simi and Wenol blue, so for me it's a love/hate, but their extra bottle of protector you put on after if you want, yuck, so hard to get off, never will use it again! I plan on trying Klasse AIO and some paint sealant as well, have some PB wheel wax coming. I'll keep tryin until I come up with a winning combo or product.
One thing that really helps is, I use a simple car QD when I remember after riding and it sur eis easier to use (and faster!) right away than waiting after those darn bugs have dried on! Also, I don't run a windshield, but if oyu do, heard the 303 protectant is about the best there.
To be noted, i know there's lots of debats on the HD forum as to waxing on chrome works or not due to heat, but the Pig Snot Biker wax REALLY shines the chrome up, at least for awhile.
If you come across anything, let us know...PLEASE!

BILL
06-14-2006, 04:36 PM
On my low rider I use BRASSO.....:)

ScottB
06-14-2006, 06:08 PM
On my high polished wheels I prefer Simichrome, I had the exact opposite results using Wenol (orange tube) and Maas. I also find Mothers Aluminum polish to be nice and easy on the wallet. Pinnacle made a chrome wad from its bike line (since discontinued) that rocked on wheels, exhaust, and metal parts.

BILL
06-14-2006, 06:16 PM
Simichrome

YES!! very good for spokes

Matt94GT
06-14-2006, 07:16 PM
I heard FLITZ is par-non and incrdible. I gotta try it some time I have tried tonnes.

I recently used the Mothers Chrome Polish and did a short review, im sure it would be AWESOME on bikes on the fact that its soooooooOOOOOooooOOoOoo easy to remove which is great for all that chrome and tight spots/cracks. also super easy to apply, rub, let haze, remove. its cheap too. at least give it a shot.

http://www.sn95forums.com/misc/products.jpg

Mothers Chrome Polish
Awesome stuff for sure. Its fairly liquidy and goes on super easy, you rub it on then let it haze (go on to next wheel, then come back) but what really got me is how easy it came off...friggin amazing, NO effort what-so-ever just one wipe and its completly off doesnt leave black residue either...so sweet! Seems to protect/shine well but I have never used a chome specific polish before, I have used aluminum mag and chrome polish which is a mess. Deff like it and will use it again! :pimp2: :thumb:
http://www.sn95forums.com/misc/washed.jpg

toolfanatic
06-14-2006, 07:16 PM
I like the Mother's polish, no marring in my experience. Only the muffler is chrome on my bike though. I don't know how the HD guys can deal w/ acres of chrome. It's a pain is the arse. Not a chrome fan as you can tell, too much work and short durability (sounds a little like carnauba).

scooterguitar
06-14-2006, 07:54 PM
Killr, try the Wenol Blue sometime! My sister (does car shows with her '68 Camaro) turned me onto it a few years ago, ironically i am trying to turn her onto clay, and all my new goodies! Also, anyone want to try the Maas protector (goes on afetr polish) let me know, I hate using it.
Mothers was just mediocre for me.
I'm looking forward to trying the Clearkote for metal myself, I'll try when I get and post some results.
Man, can we convince Pinnacle to reissue the chrome polish? Petition!

BritOn2wheels
06-14-2006, 08:56 PM
On my low rider I use BRASSO.....:)
Like Bill, I too use Brasso, it's a great product, good for cleaning bugs and scuff marks but not too abraisive. The only problem is that my HD Ultra Classic has the acres of chrome referenced above and about a million and one tight spots to get into and around. Brasso is a liquid that you apply with a terry pad (or similar), let dry to a haze and then buff off with a MF.

Four hours to completely do all the chrome and the wheels is not unusual, then I can leave home without a cloud in sight only to run into rain within 15 minutes of home. :mad:

Anyone getting good results with the wadding type products such as Never-Dull? I figure it would save a lot of time not having to tip the can all the time but don't know if the stuff produces acceptable results. :confused:

joe.p
06-14-2006, 09:14 PM
Blue Magic. Billet ,but i though it was a little abbrasive..

scooterguitar
06-14-2006, 09:20 PM
Have to have a can of Never Dull if your a bilker. I like it for rims, slides along nicely. A little goes a loooong way!

scooterguitar
06-27-2006, 08:16 PM
Update...
Just tried a few more. My test piece was my old stock exhaust I had just taken off of my '98 Road King, so they were nice and nasty in places I could never get to with polish before. First I tried Brasso. Man, one whiff of this stuff and your ready for streaking, wow, do not smell this stuff it'll kill you! Tried it on a blued and nasty looking spot, instant gratification, literally wiped most of the crud right off with little work! Didn't do much at all for rusted spots, not that I tried too hard though. So I tried it on my newly polished running rails on truck, cleane dit up but after waiting for it to haze, it seemed to leave a visible film behind after wiping it off, then again I used a towel with no pull/grit to it. Overall, this $2 can seems to fit a nice little niche for when you need to really clean oxidation and such, that isn't rusty. with little work. Also, bet it iwll work great on the tedious bike rims!
Next up was Megs new NXT Polysh. this one I really like! Similar test areas, old pipes and newly polished rails. Seems to have a little bite to it, but not nearly as much as TW, Mothers, etc. Easy on/easy off. I think it will work nicely for medium to light duty polishing needs. So overall, both of these polishes are great assests to my arsenal of metal polishes!
Luckily, as I keep rechroming my bike parts, the old pitted stuff is taken away, but here is my tentative game plan for when I repolish the whole bike again.
Areas with heavy pits or beginning rust: Neverdull mixed with Turtle
Everything else, I'll play around with the baove along with my trusted old Wenol Blue.
Hope this might help some of you!

BritOn2wheels
06-29-2006, 07:02 AM
Thanks everyone for your offerings and suggestions.

Happy Detailing.

Ridebyshootings
06-30-2006, 07:58 PM
I carry a small tube of neverdull. It is easy to pull of a bit and polish up whatever then toss it into the trash. Fits into a small space in my saddlebag too! Got a small detail kit that I take on the roadtrips with some pinnacle stuff. Andrew

dakevmann
06-30-2006, 08:24 PM
I just used Megs Chrome polish on my exhaust tips and side steps on my truck and all I got to say is its frikin amazing for the price. As others have said in this post it goes one very easly and comes off just as easy. I would reccomend trying it I picked it up for 3.27 at Walmart very inexpensive.