PDA

View Full Version : Sealants that don't bead?

Pages : [1] 2

conman1395
10-19-2014, 08:51 PM
Or bead well I guess. A whole bunch of little beads can be bad for water spotting, and a sealant which is hydrophobic and releases dirt better is more important to me. I recall someone saying Meguiars had a wax/sealant that was made like this, but are there others too?

JHL88
10-19-2014, 08:58 PM
Might want to try Sonax Polymer Net Shield.

allenk4
10-19-2014, 11:04 PM

Yes, if you want a million super tiny beads with incredibly high contact angle

The photos I have seen of SPNS are the antitheses of sheeting

allenk4
10-19-2014, 11:08 PM
Or bead well I guess. A whole bunch of little beads can be bad for water spotting, and a sealant which is hydrophobic and releases dirt better is more important to me. I recall someone saying Meguiars had a wax/sealant that was made like this, but are there others too?

I believe that the more hydrophobic sealants all have lots of small beads

I have seen a car with Opti-Coat 2.0 on it sheet water very well without beading. The trade-off was that the paint didn't look (to me) like it was super glossy

I like Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant. It lasts 6 months, easy to apply and remove, looks great and seems to resist permanent water spotting

SYMAWD
10-19-2014, 11:09 PM
Chemical Guys Second Skin 6. From what I've read, you won't see a single bead, but your car will be kept cleaner. However, I have never had a water spot issue with a beading sealant because rain is typically pretty free of minerals.

Blade
10-19-2014, 11:24 PM
I live on the Wet Coast, where:

the winter is mild and wet, soggy, misty, soaking, damp and moist - oops I forgot wet - did I say it's wet?
and there are only two seasons in the year: July and winter.

Get my drift? ;) I've had no water spotting on the only 3 sealants I've ever tried and used: WDGPS 3.0, Opti-Seal and Klasse AIO. I don't even dry my vehicles after it rains - too much hassle.

Rsurfer
10-20-2014, 02:29 AM
I don't even dry my vehicles after it rains - too much hassle.

Who dries their cars after a rain? Maybe after a wash!

HateSwirls
10-20-2014, 05:31 AM

After a rain I spray it well with a Rinseless Wash and wipe dry, that's only if my car was just washed and still clean.

I applied the Wolfgang Glossy Paint Sealant to my new car which is my go to sealant, however on my last wash there were water spots on the paint that didn't come off so easy being I went three weeks without washing it because I was busy,I used some D151 to remove the stubborn spots.
Crazy beading

CDot
10-20-2014, 08:39 AM

Water-spotting has multiple variables. How long the water sits on the paint, what pollutants are in the condensed air/rain, and how resistant the LSP is to water-spotting. As for dirt release, there are LSP's who do this better than others.

^This @ the OP. Water behavior on PNS is very unique. It beads incredibly well, but it also sheds dirt better than anything I've tried to-date. I've also never experienced water-spotting with it. I just put some on my Camry on Sat. I had a fair amount of moisture on my car this morning and by the time I got to work the car was bone dry. That's what you want from a LSP.

My understanding is that "sheeting" results from large quantities of water being applied to paint in a relatively short period of time. The larger quantity spread over an area (which has a higher weight) causes more tension on the paint surface, resulting in the sheeting effect. Very small drops of water can't technically "sheet" according to my experience--especially if they are on a horizontal surface.

Check out my post http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/43346-post-your-beading-shots-45.html#post1134287 and EVOlved's post http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/43346-post-your-beading-shots-48.html#post1175188. Compared to Colli 845 (which I also love), there is more "dry space" in between the water droplets with PNS. EVOlved's post shows how PNS makes water bead in large drops as well.

conman1395
10-20-2014, 10:47 AM
I'll have to give Sonax PNS a try. I've seen so much talk about it that I've been wanting to try it anyway. On one of Larry Kosila's podcasts with Jason Rose they talked about how a bunch of tiny water beads can act as little magnifying glasses. Whether or not this is true I don't really know, but this is why I'm asking this. Any input from you guys about the "magnifying beads" is also appreciated.

dlc95
10-20-2014, 11:59 AM
I'll have to give Sonax PNS a try. I've seen so much talk about it that I've been wanting to try it anyway. On one of Larry Kosila's podcasts with Jason Rose they talked about how a bunch of tiny water beads can act as little magnifying glasses. Whether or not this is true I don't really know, but this is why I'm asking this. Any input from you guys about the "magnifying beads" is also appreciated.

I listened to that podcast too. Excellent, practical information. The guys on the Megs site recommended Ultimate Wax to me.

CDot
10-20-2014, 12:20 PM
I'll a bunch of tiny water beads can act as little magnifying glasses.

This is true--I learned about it in high school chem or biology. We were discussing how it's not better to walk around the beach/pool with water all over you in order to prevent sunburn--when it can do the reverse. The difference is that auto paint isn't the same as skin. You're going to get water on your car either way so I wouldn't be too worried :-)

allenk4
10-20-2014, 12:58 PM
My understanding is that "sheeting" results from large quantities of water being applied to paint in a relatively short period of time. The larger quantity spread over an area (which has a higher weight) causes more tension on the paint surface, resulting in the sheeting effect. Very small drops of water can't technically "sheet" according to my experience--especially if they are on a horizontal surface.

I believe "sheeting" can be created by large quantities of water being applied via laminar flow (sheeting method). If a product claims to "sheet water", I don't believe that claim should be conditional on how the water gets on the surface of the quantity if water applied.

In my experience, I see sheeting when either there is no LSP present, or there is something interfering with the hydrophobic characteristics of the LSP. These interlopers' can include a dirty surface or surfactants left on the paint by cleaning products (Dawn, APC, etc.)

I would gladly trade beading for sheeting, I just have not seen a product that sheets and has the visual appeal to go along with it.

I am willing to try anything, though

JHL88
10-20-2014, 01:58 PM

Yes, but its also sheets water very well.

Blade
10-20-2014, 02:09 PM
Holey Moley! Brain freeze. I meant wash and dry! :)