PDA

View Full Version : Glaze before applying KSG

Pages : [1] 2

Spoontunage
10-19-2014, 07:24 PM
So I am not completely new to detailing however, I applied meguiars #7 mirror glaze prior to 3 coats of ksg. Now recently I read that ksg cannot properly sit on top of the glaze because of the oils in the product. Am I completely screwed here? Or will I be ok? Like I said I placed 3 coats of ksg down and planned on finishing that with p21s tomorrow morning.

aim4squirrels
10-19-2014, 07:54 PM
If it's already there, wait it out and see. No need to remove it and restart.

If you apply enough coats of KSG, it will fill as well.

I know I've seen pics and a thread where layers of KSG were applied to some hefty clear coat scratches and by the 6th coat, they were basically leveled. For the life of me, I can't seem to find it...

Spoontunage
10-19-2014, 08:09 PM
Do you think 3 coats is enough?

Spoontunage
10-19-2014, 09:07 PM
This is the first time I have ever used the meguiars #7 and wasn't aware that it shouldnt be put down before the ksg so any other help is appreciated.

aim4squirrels
10-19-2014, 09:57 PM
3 coats of KSG is great from a looks standpoint, provided you gave it time to cure in between coats.

The #7 is a true glaze with no protection ability at all. If you feel it enhanced the looks of the vehicle, you'll want to put something else over it to keep it there.

Spoontunage
10-19-2014, 10:18 PM
3 coats of KSG is great from a looks standpoint, provided you gave it time to cure in between coats.

The #7 is a true glaze with no protection ability at all. If you feel it enhanced the looks of the vehicle, you'll want to put something else over it to keep it there.

No i used #7 prior to the ksg and I read somewhere else that ksg wont bond properly with the oils from #7

Desertnate
10-20-2014, 07:54 AM
#7 is a really oily glaze compared to others on the market, and based on Mike's usage of it here in demonstrations I think it has a pretty specialized place in the market.

I've always used KSG with the understanding it needs a pretty clean surface in order to work at full potential. That is why Klasse recommends using their AIO product first to remove oils and waxes from the paint. Worst case in your situation may be reduced durability from the KSG.

Klasse Act
10-20-2014, 08:43 AM
I agree about waiting it out, see how it goes but most of us agree, glazes are a "cheap fix", like when someone is selling their car for instance, atleast that's how I see it.

Maybe wait it out and then in the spring, when you do your winter clean-up, do a good wash, paint decontamination and machine polishing and then layer the KSG, leaving the normal 12 cure time inbetween. IMO applying 3 coats is fine, its so easy to use, why not and besides, its not like you use a lot of product;)

Btw OP, what is your techique for applying KSG?

Sent from my SPH-M930 using Tapatalk 2

Spoontunage
10-20-2014, 08:55 AM
I agree about waiting it out, see how it goes but most of us agree, glazes are a "cheap fix", like when someone is selling their car for instance, atleast that's how I see it.

Maybe wait it out and then in the spring, when you do your winter clean-up, do a good wash, paint decontamination and machine polishing and then layer the KSG, leaving the normal 12 cure time inbetween. IMO applying 3 coats is fine, its so easy to use, why not and besides, its not like you use a lot of product;)

Btw OP, what is your techique for applying KSG?

Sent from my SPH-M930 using Tapatalk 2

I appl ksg by hand with a mf pad. I usually will do an s pattern and cross back, then finish with straight line pattern depending on the pannel of the car for which way I go. After letting it dry for about 30 minutes I wipe off. Then after letting it cure for at least 12 hours, I go back with some zaino qd and remove any spots that may have been put on to thick. I do this as many times as I wish, this last time being 3 and then finish off with a good coat of p21s.

Setec Astronomy
10-20-2014, 09:04 AM
As others have noted, KSG has a reputation for being finicky and wanting a squeaky-clean surface. Do you have KAIO? It sounds like you have some Zaino products, you might be able to use ZAIO in a pinch (have to see how the KSG lays out on top of that). Of course a good coating prep polish like any of the Optimum polishes, DP or PBL prep, or Squeaky Clean would work great.

Meg's #7 is a product developed decades and decades ago for lacquer paints and IMO has limited utility for current clearcoat systems.

Spoontunage
10-20-2014, 09:22 AM
As others have noted, KSG has a reputation for being finicky and wanting a squeaky-clean surface. Do you have KAIO? It sounds like you have some Zaino products, you might be able to use ZAIO in a pinch (have to see how the KSG lays out on top of that). Of course a good coating prep polish like any of the Optimum polishes, DP or PBL prep, or Squeaky Clean would work great.

Meg's #7 is a product developed decades and decades ago for lacquer paints and IMO has limited utility for current clearcoat systems.

Ya, I had it all set but didn't think that #7 glaze would be a problem after polishing. The reason I even used the #7 glaze was because after polishing I looked the car over and could see some very fine scratches in the light. Then as a test I applied the glaze over a section and it looked much better, so I continued to do the entire car. That is when I read about this issue, but I am already 4 days into several coats of ksg and not sure if I want to start this whole process over. Which is why I came here to see what others thing and if I am completely screwed here and have to start over, or if this situation is salvageable.

Setec Astronomy
10-20-2014, 09:45 AM
I guess my question for you is did the KSG seem to apply normally over the #7? If you felt the "lay out" or "wet out" of the product on the surface was as it usually is, then you are probably ok. If you are super concerned because of your latitude that your protection has been compromised, then you are going to have to bail and start over.

I'd be curious if anyone has used SG over one of the durable (non-oily) glazes like Prima Amigo or one of the Poorboy's glazes (or the defunct Wet Glaze 2.0).

Desertnate
10-20-2014, 09:46 AM
If you're happy with the results, leave it. No reason to start over at this point. Ride it out and put what you've learned to work the next time.

When you find fine scratches after polishing you can go a few directions:
1. Spot polish those areas and try for perfection
2. Cover them with a good glaze
3. Live with what you have

It all depends on how bad things are and what you're trying to achieve. On my daily driver's, I know there will be a few fine, deep marks that just aren't worth the heavy correction needed to get them out. They aren't visible unless I hit the vehicle with a specific light source at a specific angle, so I've learned to live with them.

I do use glazes, but not with KSG. I glaze in the Fall as I feel polishing as Winter prep is a waste of my time. I'll either use Poorboy's Black Hole or Prima Amigo. Both are designed to have LSP's applied over them, so I top with Collinite 845.

When using KSG, I'll polish followed by AIO, and then the SG.

Desertnate
10-20-2014, 09:53 AM
I guess my question for you is did the KSG seem to apply normally over the #7? If you felt the "lay out" or "wet out" of the product on the surface was as it usually is, then you are probably ok. If you are super concerned because of your latitude that your protection has been compromised, then you are going to have to bail and start over.

I'd be curious if anyone has used SG over one of the durable (non-oily) glazes like Prima Amigo or one of the Poorboy's glazes (or the defunct Wet Glaze 2.0).

I've put 845 over Blackhole last Winter with no ill effects. This weekend I put the 845 over Amigo, so we'll see how that goes.

Blackhole, Amigo, and Blackfire GEP are all designed to have their respective synthetic sealants applied over the top, so they might work OK. I've not found Blackhole or Amigo to be oily at all.

Spoontunage
10-20-2014, 10:04 AM
Thanks for all the help and input guys. I think I am going to end with the 3 coats of ksg and go top it with p21s now. Worst case scenario the protection doesn't last as long and this is a learning experience for next time which may be sooner then wanted. Next time I will just probably switch it up and def not use #7 prior to ksg. Thanks again.