PDA

View Full Version : How can I fix my wheels?

kylet101
10-18-2014, 10:55 PM
Hi all

I have just purchased a winter set of wheels from craigslist. The seller pulled their wheels out of storage and found what I think is oxidation from the salt / chemicals used on the roads during the winter.

I think the rims are just clear coated (they are replica BMW M6 rims).

Wheel 1 (http://i.imgur.com/uaKqFjQ.jpg)
Wheel 2 (http://i.imgur.com/TIyVgNN.jpg)

Any assistance / advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Kyle

Just02896
10-18-2014, 11:10 PM
Unfortunately, It looks like the corrosion is under the clear coat. You will more than likely have to strip, clean, and re-clear them to bring them back.

custmsprty
10-18-2014, 11:12 PM
Unfortunately, It looks like the corrosion is under the clear coat. You will more than likely have to strip, clean, and re-clear them to bring them back.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

LRC3
10-19-2014, 01:14 PM
You can also, get them powder coated if you wanna spend a couple bucks.

Or plasti dip them, 4 cans will run about $30. If there just winter wheels and can't be cleaned that's what I'd do..

kylet101
10-19-2014, 03:13 PM
Thanks guys!

Hmm I may consider using some plasti dip. Does the oxidation effect the structural integrity of the wheel? For example, if I plasti dip the wheels in the current state, will they corrode underneath?

Cheers
Kyle

Just02896
10-19-2014, 07:19 PM
Thanks guys!

Hmm I may consider using some plasti dip. Does the oxidation effect the structural integrity of the wheel? For example, if I plasti dip the wheels in the current state, will they corrode underneath?

Cheers
Kyle

A slight bit of oxidation will have no effect on the structural integrity of the wheels. It's purely a cosmetic annoyance. If you clean the wheels really well and plasti-spray them inside and out, you shouldn't have any issues with further oxidation until the coating wears.

TurboToys
10-19-2014, 08:47 PM
fun tip. a lot of people here in nebraska will plastidip their nice wheels before winter, so the rock and salt doesn't destroy them and peel it off for the summer time when it gets nicer outside. for those of you who want to keep your wheels looking new

kylet101
10-20-2014, 10:56 AM
A slight bit of oxidation will have no effect on the structural integrity of the wheels. It's purely a cosmetic annoyance

Good to know!

a lot of people here in nebraska will plastidip their nice wheels before winter, so the rock and salt doesn't destroy them and peel it off for the summer time when it gets nicer outside

I'm new to Vancouver from Australia so I'm not used to the Winter elements! Thanks for the tip, I think I will go with the plasti dip for winter