PDA

View Full Version : New to detailing

GMCtruckdetail
10-18-2014, 04:53 PM
I am trying to get into detailing as a hobby for something to do on the weekends. I have a black 2009 GMC Sierra I just bought and the paint is pretty swirled up its a daily driver that's always out in the elements so perfect paint correctin is not what I am going for I just want it to look better. I looked around and for the life of me can not figure out what products to use someone told me to use an all in one but before I try that I figured I would get other ideas. Any help and advice is greatly appreciated!

allenk4
10-18-2014, 06:42 PM
Technique is more important than Products

Here is a great place to start:

Auto Detailing Facts, auto detailing Tips, How to detailing Guides, how to polish, how to wax, DIY detailing, do it yourself guides (http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html)

Reading all of Mike Phillips work in the section above will allow you to understand the current condition of your paint and what can be done to improve it to your own personal standards

Have Fun!

Welcome to your new addiction

KiwiTrev
10-19-2014, 02:24 AM
Well your picking a hobby that will become infectious
With YouTube, you can educate yourself from the basics to show stoper level
Get an idea of what the process is, then start accumulating products after that
Welcome to the world of driving clean
Get into asking on the forum or private message a few with your questions
Chow Trev

Helltopay
10-19-2014, 07:25 AM
Welcome to AGO.

Pats300zx
10-19-2014, 07:51 AM
Welcome :)

GMCtruckdetail
10-19-2014, 11:19 AM
Thank you for the advice and welcoming. I have been watching every YouTube video I can find on paint correction and I have found a lot of good stuff but a lot of it is for show cars and I'm not going for a show car polish I'm wanting to correct as much as I can and get better clarity. I have talked to some people who aware by chemical guys others swear by meguiars And so in and so forth

allenk4
10-19-2014, 01:17 PM
Chemical Guys makes good soap and I will leave it at that

Instead of watching random YouTube videos, I suggest focusing on Mike Phillips videos while you build your skill base

He has a thread on "Production Detailing" that might be right up your alley

Hazcat
10-19-2014, 03:04 PM
You really never know how good you can make it look if you don't know all the processes involved. It might turn out better than when it was new. Watch Mike's videos and read, read, read. It's amazing what can be done if it's all still covered with paint.

Wednesday I took a trashed truck that had been abused for years on road and off road. It had deep scratches and swirls all over it. I picked my most brutal foam pad (blue Rupes) and handed to my son along with Optimum's Hypercompound and turned him loose on it with a Flex 3401. When he was done it looked like it had been wet sanded. Then I took over with hyperpolish and an LC white hybrid pad. When I finished it looked like a brand new paint job. It completely blew me and the owner away. If I had any idea it would come back the way it did I would have taken hundreds of pictures before and after. I'm just saying don't sell it short when you say you "just want to correct as much as you can and get more clarity" because that can be quite a turn around if you hit the right combination and put in the time. Good luck and best wishes on your truck.