PDA

View Full Version : Rubber trim, black coming off

Grifffx4
10-17-2014, 04:39 PM
What is the black junk that comes off rubber window trim?

Is it old dressing or "dead" dried up rubber?

What's the best to get it off? Seems like it never stops coming off.

swanicyouth
10-17-2014, 05:14 PM
If the rubber is uncoated - it's likely the layers of oxidized rubber. If the rubber is old - the coating likely has oxidized away anyway. Rubber tends to absorb or hold on to dirt much better than a hard surface - that is why we "scrub" tires/rubber - but "wash" paint.

Rubber can be a PIA to clean. Don't waste your time - use the right products to clean it. Tuff Shine Tire Cleaner is the best in my opinion. Mothers & Griots make good alternatives as well. APCs are OK - but not the best.

Setec Astronomy
10-17-2014, 06:21 PM
You need to give them a good cleaning (APC, Griot's Rubber Cleaner, etc.), try with a MF towel (don't use one you're too attached to, it may wind up with permanent stains).

Then use a good trim protectant like Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant (WETS) or Ultima Tire and Trim Guard (UTTG) or Blackfire Total Trim & Tire Sealant (BTTTS?).

Don M
10-18-2014, 07:54 AM
I wax what little black trim I have and it always comes off black. It's because the trim is uncoated rubber and it's nothing different that cleaning your tire, a little black is going to come off.