PDA

View Full Version : Removing buffer trails by hand?

Sherif
10-17-2014, 06:11 AM
The sad story:
Dealer washed my Grand Cherokee and put a couple of scratches on the hood (my 1st. mistake here! I always tell them not to wash it but I forgot this time) and that pissed me off when I went to pick it up so they said don't worry we'll remove the scratches right away (my 2nd mistake! I shouldn't let them touch it again)..
So they took it back inside the workshop and by the time I got there to see what they're doing, their "detailer" had already finished his job! he just hacked it with his Rotary and huge wool pad..
I checked the hood and it looked ok, it was smooth and scratches were gone but next day while parked under sunlight I noticed the buffer trails :(
It's on a small section only 2x1'

The question:
Is it possible to remove the buffer trails by hand?

What I have:
EZ Grip Hydro-Tech Hand Applicators (http://www.autogeek.net/hydro-3-pack.html)
Pinnacle Polishin’ Pal Combo (http://www.autogeek.net/pinpp.html)
Microfiber Applicator Pad (http://www.autogeek.net/extra-large-mf-applicator.html)
Wolfgang Über Compound
Wolfgang TSR
Optimum Finish Polish

TIA Feed back please

RevitalizeAutoSpa
10-17-2014, 07:05 AM
Photos of the damage? Good chance you'll need a machine.

FUNX650
10-17-2014, 07:33 AM
•No polisher (PC) means you've got your work cut out for you...But it can be done!
-Time consuming process.
-Afterwards: There should be a noticeable improvement in the musculature of your shoulder(s). :D

•I like your choices in product applicators.

Good luck!

Bob

HateSwirls
10-17-2014, 07:40 AM
Small area so not too bad.

You can easily do that by hand using a compound and a small pad then use a polish.
All by hand.

Meguiars UC works wonders in a situation as you have.
Lucky it wasn't the entire car that was damaged.
Good luck.

Sent from my LG-D800 using AG Online

RobRabbit2.5
10-17-2014, 07:51 AM
Sorry to hear about the hackdamage to your ride at the dealer.

I dropped mine at the dealer yesterday and then was shuttled back to work by a young man that does the washing of customers cars. I asked extensively about the washing process they use (i've experienced what you have before).

They either put it in a machine 95% to hack it up or hack it by hand.

I made them write NO WASH on my ticket with a thick black magic marker. Can't miss that....well. maybe not. hopefully not.
They're gonna wash my car.........

DetailKitty
10-17-2014, 08:23 AM
That stinks man, good luck!

I am hoping I've already instilled "crazy OCD costumer" enough in my new dealership that they will NEVER touch my car.
I of course will also tell them and leave a giant poster in it to not do so when the time comes for service :xyxthumbs:

Sherif
10-17-2014, 10:54 AM
Thanks guys, I'll try working it by hand next weekend and if that didn't do, I'll take it to a detailer who knows how to use his machines and products..
Till then I'll try to avoid parking under sunlight so I won't see that little disaster!
I really hate that dealer, the service manager and advisors are very nice to me even though I'm OCD and a PITA to them but the technicians and workers inside their workshop are just a bunch of reckless idiots..

allenk4
10-17-2014, 12:30 PM
I favor non-diminishing polishes when working by hand. I don't feel like they breakdown well by hand

Both Uber and TSR are DAT

I would try the TSR by hand. Work it with some "Passion Behind the Pad". Read Mike Phillips thread on polishing by hand first.

If that does not work, I would grab some Meguiar's Ultimate Polish and give that a go