PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Detailing Vehicle Search Begins...with a twist!

Pages : [1] 2

KJW Detailing
10-16-2014, 08:41 PM
Good Evening Geeks,

As the title states, I'm beginning my search for a mobile detailing vehicle, that more efficient then a Kia Optima or Nissan Altima. However, like the two aforementioned vehicles, it needs to be a mobile vehicle that can also be used as a daily driver. I don't carry water or electric and don't plan to at this time. I've yet to have a client with an issue with this and have worked on everything from a Prius C to a Ferrari 458. Those who don't have access to water bring their vehicles to me.

What I'm looking for in a vehicle:

New Vehicle (likely leased - I never stay in a vehicle for more than 3-4 years if that.)
Cost: Under 30k
Type: SUV / Crossover (although will consider something else)

Currently considering just about every make and model under the sun.

IE: Honda CRV, Hyundia Tucson, Toyota RAV4/Pruis, Scion xB, Nissan Rouge, Subaru XV Crosstreck, Kia Sportage/Sorento/Soul...etc, etc.

So, what do you think? What are your suggestions?

Thanks, Kieran

Evan.J
10-16-2014, 08:46 PM
I have chevy malibu and I am able to have all my tools, pads, towels, brushes, bottles, power washer, master blaster and buckets all in the car most if no all in the trunk.

KJW Detailing
10-16-2014, 09:06 PM
Other Considerations: Ford Edge/Escape/Focus ST, Chevy Equinox, VW Jetta Sport Wagon TDI/Tiguan .

KJW Detailing
10-16-2014, 09:07 PM
I have chevy malibu and I am able to have all my tools, pads, towels, brushes, bottles, power washer, master blaster and buckets all in the car most if no all in the trunk.

I no longer want to work out of a typical sedan, otherwise I'd continue with what I've got.

dcjredline
10-16-2014, 09:12 PM
Older Malibu has a sport back wagon that may be pretty cool. My only opinion is against the new vehicle lease...Its not a smart financial choice to "ruin" a $25k vehicle with those miles...you can write off mileage just the same on a nice 3 or 4 year old quality used vehicle. That's what I would suggest to you. Either way you chose I'm excited for you making this step! Good luck buddy!!!!

Sent from my XT1030 using AG Online

expdetailing
10-16-2014, 09:16 PM
Awsome grand caravans loaded with nav, movie pull down screens, and all of the seats fold into the floor. Tons of space. Privacy glass; no body knows what your houling. You could keep it locked in overnight, noone would know. Theres rooom for water and electri ifyou ever wanted to incorporate that into the minivan. I have one, it a comfortable living room on wheels. Honestly my favorite car, coming from a ranger, 79 z28, blazer, grand prix, 07 wrangler. The van hands down is the comfortablt cruiser and sleek hauler.

SYMAWD
10-16-2014, 09:23 PM
2015 VW Tiguan S. It has so many more features than the 2014 for about the same price. It's my favorite crossover for what you are looking for.

KJW Detailing
10-16-2014, 09:26 PM
@dcjredline - I haven't bought a used car since my first car and that was 5 vehicles ago. I'm not to concerned with the mileage as I typically travel less than 15 miles for details and on the occasions in which its further away I take our altima bcause we own it.

@expdetailing - while I don't disagree with your opinion, I just can't do a minivan, to young and no kids, so all that extra room is unessessary.

@SYMAWD - I just went and looked at the specs. That does seem like a nice vehicle. I'll have to look into it a bit more! Thanks.

Sicoupe
10-16-2014, 09:52 PM
The CRV would be pretty good, good gas mileage and it will go for many miles without any problems:)

Goin Rogue
10-16-2014, 11:11 PM
My parents have a 2014 Honda CRV and I have a 2014 Nissan Rogue SV (Not the Select). I also test drove the Toyota RAV4 and Mazda CX5.

My opinion on these vehicles:
CRV & RAV 4 are on par with each other.

CX5 felt smaller on the inside, but a sportier drive and the most horsepower of them all.

Rogue is my favorite (hence why I bought it). The panoramic sunroof is awesome, I prefer the interior design, and it feels like the biggest inside. Currently I am getting 29.1 mpg! Also the rear has a system called "Divide & Hide". You can lift up the floor panels and use them to cover the cargo area (instead of the retractable cover). Also the cargo area is plastic/rubber which would help with keeping it clean. There is so much more I could go on about! Just ask and I'll describe all the things I like.

Basically you need to test drive each. Another vehicle to consider (since this is for a mobile detail business) would be the Honda Element. The interior is rugged!

SYMAWD
10-16-2014, 11:14 PM
Basically you need to test drive each. Another vehicle to consider (since this is for a mobile detail business) would be the Honda Element. The interior is rugged!

Except they stopped making it in 2011.

The Subaru Forester is also one to consider.

Goin Rogue
10-16-2014, 11:27 PM
Except they stopped making it in 2011.

I know, I actually like them. But he might be able to get a low mileage one.

dcjredline
10-16-2014, 11:34 PM
In that case...CRV, RAV4 and Forester would be my choices. :0)

jarred767
10-16-2014, 11:44 PM
Congrats on getting the new vehicle for you business, its an exciting step for sure! Like a few others, I would be in the camp of buying a slightly used car. Much better financial decision (from my point of view) as you let someone else take the initial depreciation hit. Again, only my opinion.

With that said, the Tiguan's are great. My wife has a 2010 and we absolutely love it. Very solid car, VW's rock and they just feel like they're better put together than a lot of other cars in the same price range. I'm not sure about the features on the new ones, but they are nice cars and I've used my wife's a couple times when my rig was out of service and with the seats folded down, there was plenty of space for everything (I run my business similar to you, I don't carry water or power). The only drawback to it is that the back seats don't fold flat, so that would have been kinda annoying if I was using it permanently.

Another option if you happen to change your mind and get a used one is the HHR Panel (I actually just got home from buying one myself that will be my permanent detailing rig Im the MAN Im the MANThey stopped making them in 2011, but you may be able to find a lightly used one with low miles. They have a ton of space, and a lot of real estate if you want to put your logo on it. mrclean on these boards uses one and that's where I got the idea from. Here's a link to his transformation on it http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-make-money-detailing-cars/76233-hhr-panel-mobile-detailing-unit.html

Good luck with the search man, it should be fun!:dblthumb2:

SYMAWD
10-17-2014, 12:05 AM
I'm not sure about the features on the new ones, but they are nice cars and I've used my wife's a couple times when my rig was out of service and with the seats folded down, there was plenty of space for everything (I run my business similar to you, I don't carry water or power). The only drawback to it is that the back seats don't fold flat, so that would have been kinda annoying if I was using it permanently.

Really? I'm like 99.9% sure they do or at least nearly flat.