PDA

View Full Version : What is on my wheels?

Pages : [1] 2

OCD Detailing
10-15-2014, 11:32 AM
My friend and I started a detailing company a few months ago. In doing so we got an addiction to trying products and brushes. The reason I am saying this is just to say that I have tried everything to solve my problem.

The photos below show my personal car. It seems no matter what I do I get a haze on the wheel once dried. I have use deionized water, RO, water, and regular water. I have used Adam's deep wheel cleaner, Sonax wheel cleaner, Meg's wheel cleaner and a few others. I have I have used just the hose with no nozzle to our Honda powered pressure washer. I have dried them with MF and with my new Master Blaster. I even applied the CG's wheel wax but nothing solves the problem.

The haze you see wipes off but I am wondering why it is there to begin with? I make sure to rinse until the water runs clear so I don't think I am leaving product on them. The wheels themselves are high quality Yokohama Advans so I assume the finish is decent.

From a distance they don't look bad, but in the close up you can see the haze. I set exposure to make the haze stand out. You can see the problem area down by the bottom of the spoke, It seems to get there most and on the barrel.

Thank you for any advice.

http://s2.postimg.org/8dmgc3w2h/Car.jpg

http://s23.postimg.org/hhwyyxp3f/Whole_Wheel.jpg

http://s11.postimg.org/hxtxjhg1f/Close_up_wheel.jpg

miad
10-15-2014, 11:57 AM
First, tell us how you drive it. For me, it would be scalded dog, but maybe you dont wind it up that often. If you're hard on it then its probably the massive Brembo's throwing dust like an Afgan sand storm. If not, then I still think its normal for a vehicle like that. Have you tried a brake dust barrier? Even the OTC options like Armor All get good reviews.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AG Online

Moldavite
10-15-2014, 12:03 PM
May try iron X & tar X
Clay and polish
Seal with Dlux

The Guz
10-15-2014, 12:20 PM
Looks like caked on brake dust. Do you use a wheel brush to agitate the wheel cleaner?

OCD Detailing
10-15-2014, 12:39 PM
I have all kinds of brushes. Got a brush addiction and always buying different ones. I used the Sonax in the photos posted and used 2 or 3 different brushes. Blew them dry with the Master Blaster. I did put the CG's wheel wax on them about a month ago.

My driving habits are random. I seem to turn into Sebstian Vettel when I hit the on ramps and off ramps. Every once in awhile I get a Mustang, M3, Vette, Porsche, etc that pick on me, but after I show them the replacement for displacement I am not really slamming on the brakes, just coasting back down to the speed limit. I do try and go to the track once a month but it's been about 6 months since I have gone and I have only had the wheels about 4 months. I am running Raybestos track pads but I would think the sonax and scrubbing or the Adam's deep wheel cleaner and scrubbing would get it. But like I said, it does wipe off once dry, just kind of a pain. They never look perfect. I have also tried quick detailer on them.

Thank for the info everybody

jamesboyy
10-15-2014, 01:30 PM
I'm with Moldavite on this one clay, and or polish them out sometime the finish on wheels are very sensitive to cleaners
and or haze the finish, thought if any of the suggestions solve your problem my suggestion would be to coat the wheels in a paint coating so their is less harm to them

The Guz
10-15-2014, 01:57 PM
I agree with james on clay, polish and seal. Also track pads do dust a lot.

OCD Detailing
10-15-2014, 02:20 PM
Ok, I will try that. Thanks a lot. If I can just get most of it I will be happy. I am building it to be a street legal daily driven race car so I am not expecting perfection. I know, who would want to drive around in an uncomfortable car as their daily driver. I am a little odd that way. The Brembos will probably turn Black from the heat next season anyways, but I try to keep it as clean as possible.

Thanks again, I will try the suggestions this weekend if I get time.

EVOlved
10-15-2014, 04:03 PM
Hey don't defend driving an x daily. It makes a great daily. I love my x when the snow comes out. Snow+AWD+Turbo=fun. I would hit those wheels with a light polish after a nice thorough clean and clay. Try it on one see what happens. And if you have problems you could always send the wheels to me ;)

RPM94
10-15-2014, 05:01 PM
I have all kinds of brushes. Got a brush addiction and always buying different ones. I used the Sonax in the photos posted and used 2 or 3 different brushes. Blew them dry with the Master Blaster. I did put the CG's wheel wax on them about a month ago.

My driving habits are random. I seem to turn into Sebstian Vettel when I hit the on ramps and off ramps. Every once in awhile I get a Mustang, M3, Vette, Porsche, etc that pick on me, but after I show them the replacement for displacement I am not really slamming on the brakes, just coasting back down to the speed limit. I do try and go to the track once a month but it's been about 6 months since I have gone and I have only had the wheels about 4 months. I am running Raybestos track pads but I would think the sonax and scrubbing or the Adam's deep wheel cleaner and scrubbing would get it. But like I said, it does wipe off once dry, just kind of a pain. They never look perfect. I have also tried quick detailer on them.

Thank for the info everybody

"Replacement for Displacement", now that's just silly talk. Sheer nonsense. :laughing:

Try Poor Boy's Wheel sealant or a ceramic or glass coating like 22PLE, Opticoat or Gtechniq.

Nice ride by the way. :D

OCD Detailing
10-15-2014, 05:08 PM
"Replacement for Displacement", now that's just silly talk. Sheer nonsense. :laughing:

Nice ride by the way. :D

LOL Thanks

Well I don't know how else to explain why a 4 cylinder 2 liter walks away from "Big 'ol American V8 Muscle" with double the cylinders and and over double the displacement. And that is in a straight line, the thing American cars are supposed to be good at, on the track it's a beat down like no other. Im the MAN

dcjredline
10-15-2014, 05:30 PM
Ur 2.0l still doesn't replace the sound of displacement...the experience of that V8 torque and rumble.

Sent from my XT1030 using AG Online

Mizzoutiger
10-15-2014, 05:51 PM
I sometimes get haze too after using Sonax Full Effect w/brushes and I just remove with microfiber towel sprayed with CG V7.

I also occasionally clean wheels (beyond using Sonax) with Klasse AIO and seal with Poor Boy's Wheel Sealant.

My favorite wheel brushes are wheel woolies, speed master wheel brushes and Atlasta soft-tip brush.

RPM94
10-15-2014, 05:58 PM
LOL Thanks

Well I don't know how else to explain why a 4 cylinder 2 liter walks away from "Big 'ol American V8 Muscle" with double the cylinders and and over double the displacement. And that is in a straight line, the thing American cars are supposed to be good at, on the track it's a beat down like no other. Im the MAN

Hmmmm.....Well if you are a true car guy then you already know that a C6 Z06 is a Track Monster (stock). Now add Pfadt headers, All Pro Heads, FAST intake, CAI, custom cam, Akrapovic Exhaust and a tune and one easily gets over 580 RWHP. I doubt I will see many beat downs (on the highway or track). :D

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f226/rolex88/RPM%20Performance%20Photography/Z06_zpsebd8d75e.jpg (http://s48.photobucket.com/user/rolex88/media/RPM%20Performance%20Photography/Z06_zpsebd8d75e.jpg.html)

Another perk, as stated above is the sound of 7.0 liter (427 cc) V8. As a police officer once told me at a gas station, "Your car sounds like Satan's Chariot!" I thought that was funny, but kinda accurate.

The Akra's give it a unique sound, a bit exotic but still with that big V8 rumble.

Don't get me wrong, I am a car guy and appreciate EVOs, STIs, and I even like Vipers. :props:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f226/rolex88/Akrapovic/IMG_4807.jpg (http://s48.photobucket.com/user/rolex88/media/Akrapovic/IMG_4807.jpg.html)

Back to the subject. You should really try the 22PLE VM1 Metal Wheel coating. Any brake dust will just blow off. I use the glass coat (VX1 Pro Glass), the VMI Metal for my ADV.1 10.1SLs and the trim coating (VR1 Trim and Plastic). I wish Auto Geek would carry the 22PLE line up. :(

Alek@DeepClean
10-15-2014, 06:46 PM
This may have nothing to do with your situation, but I'll add it anyway in case it helps someone. What you have going on looks a LOT like what one of my friends had on his car he brought me.

Long story short, when he had taken it to the dealership, they washed it for him. Part of that wash was to apply an extremely persistent tire dressing, which they sprayed on. It got on the wheels and was a BEAR to remove. As you stated, it looked okay when freshly cleaned but within a few hours it was right back.