PDA

View Full Version : What is the deal with cleaning tires?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

StuDLei
10-14-2014, 08:57 PM
I use OPC at full strength. Even after four or five rounds on one tire, I'm still getting brown. Do clean tires do this or what am I doing wrong? They're relentless! I've experienced this on multiple sets too.

jamesboyy
10-14-2014, 09:04 PM
Is this personal or a customers car, either way the tires may have embedded dirt from not begin cleaned regularly or a solvent based dressing was on the tires, thus making it hard to release the dirt fully in two or three cleanings

Audios S6
10-14-2014, 09:23 PM
I've found that some really bad tires need multiple types of cleaners. Meg's d108 or zep citrus are other good options to compliment OPC.

jmsc
10-14-2014, 09:39 PM
Took me 4 tries with Tuf Shine cleaner last spring to clean my car tires. It was brown, brown, brown, brown then went white. I would try a diff tire cleaner.

allenk4
10-14-2014, 09:42 PM
Buy the scrub brush that mounts to a DA

Huge time saver

I think Mike P has a video somewhere

These.brushes are also great for brushing carpet before vacuuming and for cleaning seats

toycar18
10-14-2014, 09:49 PM
Just through some tire dressing on and make em black.

Easier than cleaning 9 million times.

DetailedByPrecision
10-14-2014, 10:08 PM
In addition to all the comments, I would like to add that rinsing off the tire brush after every scrub is necessary to prevent dirt from going back onto the rubber.

allenk4
10-14-2014, 10:14 PM
:props:
Just through some tire dressing on and make em black.

Easier than cleaning 9 million times.

"Easier" is not how we do things around here

Belphegor
10-14-2014, 11:24 PM
Buy the scrub brush that mounts to a DA

Huge time saver

I think Mike P has a video somewhere

These.brushes are also great for brushing carpet before vacuuming and for cleaning seats

Have you done this brushing method personally? And if so, have you noticed any marring on the rubber? Thanks in advance!

:props:

Thank you, sir, for posting what should be an automatic reply to such comments, even though it may have been a sarcastic rely... who knows :dunno:

StuDLei
10-15-2014, 12:25 AM
In addition to all the comments, I would like to add that rinsing off the tire brush after every scrub is necessary to prevent dirt from going back onto the rubber.

I did this.

I'd like a brush attachment, now that I have the 4" plate for my Flex, how would that work?

Don M
10-15-2014, 07:19 AM
On the cars that I do, I scrub them twice and then let them dry and see how they look 'undressed.' If they look good, like a brand new tire or they look like they have a low gloss dressing on them I stop and apply the dressing. If they still look dirty, I'll scrub them some more.

I think it's a good way to gauge just how much cleaning a tire really needs and when I dress the tires, they always look great.

Here's an interesting article on why tires turn brown: Why tires turn brown "Blooming" (http://www.detailingspot.com/?page_id=19)

Setec Astronomy
10-15-2014, 07:44 AM
I think this is a fairly complicated subject...yes, some tires seemingly need to be scrubbed endlessly to remove the brown, I find this is exascerbated by oily dressings (not necessarily only clear oil dressings, some of the white dressings seem to have some this characterisitic also, and of course the white "water-based" dressings are also just emulsions of silicone oil).

Second, I have been using OPC lately as my tire cleaner (settled on 1:1), and I find that it causes less browning during cleaning than more caustic tire cleaners (which I thought meant it wasn't working as well), but I am finding dressings to last much longer and much less tire browning with OPC.

CDot
10-15-2014, 07:54 AM
Try Zep 505 w/ multiple rounds if need-be--that stuff is magic.

Don M
10-15-2014, 07:56 AM
Try Zep 505 w/ multiple rounds if need-be--that stuff is magic.

Another good one is Castrol/Super Clean, does some serious work on dirty tires.

Angus
10-15-2014, 08:14 AM

:haha: Thanks, that gave me a good laugh :xyxthumbs: