PDA

View Full Version : Sears damaged my rims, help me touch them up?

Pages : [1] 2

kiteman
10-14-2014, 06:56 PM
I had Sears install 4 tires a couple of weeks ago, they damaged all 4 rims in the process. I attached 3 pictures all of 1 wheel which got it the worst. Scratches, paint chips, and abrasions. It's very, very frustrating because I've yet to own a car where this didn't happen when I go in to get tires installed.

I told the mechanic, watched him, and looked at the rims after and nothing seemed out of the ordinary...he may not have even realized he did it. Problem was the wheels were FILTHY, and I'm sure the dirt/brake dust masked the scars, because that's usually something I notice right away. I just washed it for the first time today because of heavy storms the past few weeks.

I doubt Sears will do anything to remedy the situation, but I'll try and call them. As for touching up or repairing the damage, is there any recommended product or touch-up paint I could use to at least make them look better? I would appreciate any advice/recommendations.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii77/2tuffluck2/IMG_20141014_181937_zpsfebe960e.jpg (http://s261.photobucket.com/user/2tuffluck2/media/IMG_20141014_181937_zpsfebe960e.jpg.html)
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii77/2tuffluck2/IMG_20141014_181930_zpsff324a8f.jpg (http://s261.photobucket.com/user/2tuffluck2/media/IMG_20141014_181930_zpsff324a8f.jpg.html)
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii77/2tuffluck2/IMG_20141014_181944_zps33a9b246.jpg (http://s261.photobucket.com/user/2tuffluck2/media/IMG_20141014_181944_zps33a9b246.jpg.html)

expdetailing
10-14-2014, 07:06 PM
You could try a mild polish to clean that ring off the center of the wheel. As far as the chip, I would try to touch it up myself. YT should have some decent tutorials.

sparkism13
10-14-2014, 08:03 PM
First step would be to find out whether your wheels are polished bare metal, painted, clear coated, etc. and research the correct/best way to touch them up.

fly07sti
10-14-2014, 08:11 PM
That sucks. If they were dirty, the marks should have stood out more because of where the plastic on the arm of the machine made contact with the face of the wheel. Also the circle on your last picture is from the wheel balancer hold down cap. If it was me, I'd raise hell with them. Thank goodness I have a buddy that let's me use the tire machine at his shop. I feel your frustration about trying to keep your new car as new as possible, especially when it's not you're f-up. Again, talk with there service manager to see where that gets you.

allenk4
10-14-2014, 10:01 PM
Never take a dirty car in for service

They will think you do care about it and why should they

Always wash and vacuum prior to dropping off for service or even getting an oil change

kiteman
10-14-2014, 10:57 PM
That sucks. If they were dirty, the marks should have stood out more because of where the plastic on the arm of the machine made contact with the face of the wheel. Also the circle on your last picture is from the wheel balancer hold down cap. If it was me, I'd raise hell with them. Thank goodness I have a buddy that let's me use the tire machine at his shop. I feel your frustration about trying to keep your new car as new as possible, especially when it's not you're f-up. Again, talk with there service manager to see where that gets you.
I looked hard but really didn't see anything, weird. I found this touch up stuff on amazon I may try, has anyone heard of it? Gonna go to sears tomorrow and see what happens.

www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00IYZ0IZU?cache=ab0f992bac7f4359590f64a52512aee1&pi=SY200_QL40&qid=1413345354&sr=8-1#ref=mp_s_a_1_1

kiteman
10-14-2014, 11:33 PM
Do you know if the circle is something that can be buffed out as the other poster earlier suggested? It felt to me like it was grooved.

KMdef9
10-15-2014, 12:55 AM
Umm, don't touch them.

Sears should be fixing them or buying you knew ones. Provide pictures of them before if you have them.

fly07sti
10-15-2014, 01:44 AM
You could probably polish to lighten up the appearance, but as KMdef9 said, take it up with Sears. I suggested earlier that you speak directly with the service manager. If he gives you the runaround, contac BAR ( Bureau Automotive Repair)

kiteman
10-15-2014, 02:46 PM
h...I saw the manager today, he looked at the rims and goes "I need your car for three days." I paused and said, so you'll fix them? He said yes, then I asked if he was doing it at sears, and he said he ships them to a guy in ft worth. He was very quiet, vague. I asked if I could take my car there and he said it doesn't work like that??? It was kind of weird. I need my car today but he said to call when I'm ready and gave me his card. I feel like it sounds sketchy, what do you guys think? Maybe I should should take my wheels off and drop them off...don't want to leave my car there, then again its not like they can drive it without wheels either...

fly07sti
10-15-2014, 03:18 PM
There are facilities that do wheel repair. ie: Wheels America. The shops that I am aware of here in my area usually have 24 turnaround unless it needs powder coating of chrome plating. He probably said 3 days to give him time to remove the wheels, ship them then mount once they return. I know you feel uncomfortable now, but it sounds fine to me. Luckily you didn't have to argue with him.

Marc Hufnagel
10-15-2014, 05:35 PM
Twice Sears did a real number on all 4 wheels, on different cars. They were perfect condition and I wanted the OEM tires off for some decent ones.

Twice they bought me new sets. Raise enough hell and go high enough and have pics before and after; and caution the manager to put their 'best guy' on it. Then the ball is in their court and you are in control.

Swapping tires CAN be done without leaving a mark on the outside of the rims, I've since found 2 places that have done just that several times in the years to follow Sears.

kiteman
10-15-2014, 07:12 PM
So do you think I should just drop my car off and remind him I know my odometer reading, or would it be a good idea to take the rims off myself and drop them off? The latter is kind of a pain. If you guys trust the situation then it sounds okay. First time for me.

DaveT435
10-15-2014, 07:51 PM
They have to take the wheels off the car and sends them in. Ifit's Fort Worth area they are probably sending them to Wheel Technologies. If you drop the car off in the morning they should be able to have it back to you the following afternoon. I know they can do a 24 hour turn around. I've used them many times.

DaveT435
10-15-2014, 07:54 PM
I assume your somewhere in the metroplex?