PDA

View Full Version : Tire dressing.

Pages : [1] 2 3

Swift
10-14-2014, 12:13 AM
What are benefits of tire dressing. Is is just looks or does it protect tire rubber in some way?

Goin Rogue
10-14-2014, 12:17 AM
What are benefits of tire dressing. Is is just looks or does it protect tire rubber in some way?

Provides UV protection, conditions the rubber. Try PERL, I recently got a bottle and LOVE it.

BrianMcLeod
10-14-2014, 12:26 AM
Provides UV protection, conditions the rubber. Try PERL, I recently got a bottle and LOVE it.

Have you ever tried opti-bond tire dressing why I ask is I was gonna see which one you like better and why?

Pureshine
10-14-2014, 01:12 AM
Carpros Perl is the best I've used yet! After about 15min dry to the touch and looks great.

Goin Rogue
10-14-2014, 01:39 AM
Have you ever tried opti-bond tire dressing why I ask is I was gonna see which one you like better and why?

No PERL is the only non OTC I have used. I tried the Armor All Extreme Tire Gel and it works very good, long lasting but is silicon based.

SameGuy
10-14-2014, 01:46 AM
I've used many OTC and a few specialty dressings, and I've had good (if slightly short-lived) results with Meg's HD in either satin or natural dilution, but I keep coming back to 303 Aerospace. It just simply works and gives tires a nice, dark, natural appearance. Shiny tires just don't look right to me.

lawrenceSA
10-14-2014, 02:22 AM
Some of my favorite are

Optibond
Optimum tire sheen
Gyeon tire coat (a silica type coating as opposed to a simple dressing).

I have some 303 but have not yet tried it on tires....

PiPUK
10-14-2014, 04:03 AM
The reality is that most tire treatments will be nothing more than visual enhancers. Much talk of UV protectors will be utter nonsense - most of those who are marketing have practically zero science knowledge.

pld
10-14-2014, 04:26 AM
I've used car pro Perl,Optimum tire gel but my favorite is Duragloss #253

Relentless58
10-14-2014, 07:04 AM
The reality is that most tire treatments will be nothing more than visual enhancers. Much talk of UV protectors will be utter nonsense - most of those who are marketing have practically zero science knowledge.

I am pretty skeptical of this "UV protection". What happens if the tires do get sun burnt? Is this where that oxidized orange color comes into play that I have seen on tires before? I know that orange color always goes away when I dress my tires. So if we are trying to protect our tires from something that you won't notice when they are dressed then what are we really doing? Also, tires get changed out pretty often, about every 36K-60K. If you live in a northern climate you might even have a set of winter tires and a set of summer tires.

Setec Astronomy
10-14-2014, 07:22 AM
It's funny how for the most part this thread turned into a "what dressing do you like best?" rather than answering the OP's question.

/thread

Swift
10-14-2014, 08:10 AM
It's funny how for the most part this thread turned into a "what dressing do you like best?" rather than answering the OP's question.

/thread
haha, +1

But nevertheless I appreciate input here.

Question about PERL, do I need to wash tires before PERL or I just spray the PERL/water mixture directly on tire?

99monguse
10-14-2014, 08:13 AM
I really like the Optimum Tire Bond, it's water based and doens't hurt the rubber with solvents. I don't like the hooptie-look, shiney tires!

Setec Astronomy
10-14-2014, 08:20 AM
Question about PERL, do I need to wash tires before PERL or I just spray the PERL/water mixture directly on tire?

Any dressing will work best with a clean surface. I have been using Optimum Power Clean lately (OPC) and surprisingly find it to be much better than other more caustic dedicated tire cleaners or other APC's that I have tried. My dressings seem to last longer, etc.

Desertnate
10-14-2014, 09:23 AM
For me, it's always been an appearance thing. When I've detailed, or washed a car the mottled, dried out look of the tire seems out of place with the rest of the vehicle. Giving the tires a nice matte clean/new look seems to tie it all together.