PDA

View Full Version : Mothers VLR question

BTLew81
10-13-2014, 09:47 PM
I'm thinking of using this on my new accord leather since it is coated. Does this provide uv protection? I've read lots of good things about it and it is easily Available so I'd like to try it. Any other product suggestions are welcome as well. Thanks

FUNX650
10-14-2014, 12:19 AM
I personally don't like to use products that contain
Neatsfoot oil/Lanolin (aka: conditioners) on coated leather.

Bob

Moldavite
10-14-2014, 04:24 AM
I switch from conditioner type product
to opc (1:10) follow by 303AP for coated leather . Damp cloth for weekly wipe down.
I heard good things about
Optimum leather protectant
Ultima interior Guard+

mwoolfso
10-14-2014, 05:49 AM
I have VLR and like it; never wondered about UV protection though.

Per their web site it seems to be a close "yes". What's odd (to me) is that the language on their web site is a little ambiguous. CarPro and Optimum literally say there is protection in the product while Mother's says VLR will "shield" against UV rays. One may assume this is the same but in legalese this is not the same. It's possible the oils in the product do the "shielding".

Mothers® Polishes·Waxes·Cleaners - News (http://www.mothers.com/04_community_01_news/04_community_01_news_2011_04.html)

CDot
10-14-2014, 07:31 AM
I'm thinking of using this on my new accord leather since it is coated. Does this provide uv protection? I've read lots of good things about it and it is easily Available so I'd like to try it. Any other product suggestions are welcome as well. Thanks

It does. I use it on my wife's light gray coated leather and it works very well. I'd apply every couple months to maintain.

For my vehicle, I plan on getting some Leather Masters on my next AGO order to try on the dark charcoal leather.

Bunky
10-14-2014, 10:26 AM
Mothers VLR has a very nice light leather scent and works well on coated/protected leather. If you are using this on seats that have never had any protection product, I would clean them well first if they need it. VLR has some cleaning ability but not enough for neglected seats.

forrest@mothers
10-14-2014, 02:51 PM
The product does protect against UV, even though we don't use ultraviolet wording on the label.

It's a good all-in-one product which works on a variety of surfaces. A specialized product in my opinion is preferable to a multi-surface product, but the market prefers multi-use products to save time and money.

BTLew81
10-14-2014, 03:08 PM
Forrest, what do you suggest on coated leather.

forrest@mothers
10-14-2014, 03:13 PM
In a one step I love our Reflections Leather Care. In 2 step, the foaming Leather Wash and the pre-softened Leather Cream are great.

What I really love about the Cream is it doesn't leave an oily/shiny finish on leather, and you don't get the squeaking as you slide across a recently treated surface.

Keep in mind you only need to clean leather 3-4 times a year at most (unless something unforeseen happens). Conditioning depends on where you live - the more sun and hotter it is; the more often you should condition. For the average person, every 6-8 weeks or so is adequate.

The Guz
10-14-2014, 03:24 PM
Forrest, what do you suggest on coated leather.

From Mothers I like their Leather Wash and Leather Cream. Works well on coated leather. Leaves a nice satin finish.

Mothers Leather Wash Foaming Cleaner, leather cleaner for cars (http://www.autogeek.net/mothers-leathertech-foaming-wash.html)

Mothers Leather Cream Moisture-Rich Conditioner (http://www.autogeek.net/mothers-leathertech-moisture-infusion-gel-cream.html)