PDA

View Full Version : Leather Steering Wheel Care

Pages : [1] 2

Drifty
10-13-2014, 11:07 AM
Hello everybody, nice place, congrats!
Have a question, hope to get some usefull tips. Some days ago bought a new smooth leather dished steering wheel (Sparco-made), but I'm new to this kind of leather - it feels quite dry and soft, nothing to do with the leather of former steering wheels I've had. To be sincere it gave me the impression to be somehow dehydrated and to prepare the leather for some serious track use I used some leather conditioner (Ma-fra Charme Leather Nutrient), which previously gave me some excellent results with the seats of the car and other leather products...Lately searching in internet I found some quite reputable car-detailers warning against the use of all kind of leather conditioners on steering wheels because of possible "delamination" - peeling of some protective layer of the steering wheels causing some serious damage to it...
Now I feel a little scared of having done some irreparable damage to my new steering wheel, its leather feels a little softer now (originally it was very dry for a new product), but its colour has darkened a little. Would be highly appreciated if anyone who has experience with this kind of "granny soft" leather give me some tips of how to care about it (if any care is possible at all). Thanks in advance and excuse me for my english. Regards!
This is the same wheel as the one I bought:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&docid=tCHF5F5IftdQWM&tbnid=NQ9lM5v_SwSBxM:&ved=0CAUQjhw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rallysportdirect.com%2FSparco-Steering-Wheel-345-Black-Leather&ei=Pvs7VI_4I8mPPYuNgYgJ&bvm=bv.77161500,d.bGQ&psig=AFQjCNF32xNHBMTaOO8veROLd4UoJRlKMA&ust=1413303448348794

Belair
10-13-2014, 11:11 AM
What does the maker of the steering wheel recommend for maintenance?

Drifty
10-13-2014, 11:26 AM
The truth is the steering wheel came with no instruccions for leather care. But this kind of leather is absolutely new to me, it looks and feels quite dry, nothing to do with the leather of my previous Momo Corse, which was much thicker and was plane.

Moldavite
10-13-2014, 11:51 AM
Congrats on your new SW, that sure look nice :xyxthumbs:
I use to be momo/sparco fans too
But SW technology will have change these days...
I don't recommend using any conditioner on steering wheel though :rolleyes:
for me, I will test spot with Ultima interior shampoo gel or diluted very light APC in gentle agitation method
Good luck :)

Drifty
10-13-2014, 12:04 PM
Congrats on your new SW, that sure look nice��
I use to be momo fans too��
But SW technology will have change these days...
I don't recommend using any conditioner on steering wheel though
If for me, I will test spot with Ultima interior shampoo gel or diluted very light APC in gentle agitation method
Good luck :)

Thanks for the reply, I'm also a Sparco/Momo/OMP fan. The type of leather of my Sparco R345 is identical to the one used in Momo Drifting.
The thing that worries me is the obvious change of colour of the leather (it quite darkened!) that followed after the treatment with the Leather nutrient... I've read some quite reputable experts saying that in question of days can be expected the leather to suffer some serious damage (delamination) in form of peeling out its superior layers...Now I even don't use the wheel.
I absolutely agree with you that the technology of steering wheels making has changed considerably in the last years. With my previous wheels I've had only excellent results using leather care products...
Regards!

Moldavite
10-13-2014, 12:41 PM
your most welcome :)
i also use Meg QID for interior maintenance weekly

Meguiars Quik Interior Detailer is a pump spray detailer for all car interior rubber, plastic and vinyl surfaces. (http://www.autogeek.net/mg13616.html)

Drifty
10-13-2014, 01:07 PM
your most welcome :)
i also use Meg QID for interior maintenance weekly

Meguiars Quik Interior Detailer is a pump spray detailer for all car interior rubber, plastic and vinyl surfaces. (http://www.autogeek.net/mg13616.html)

I know Meguiars is awesome brand, but I live in Europe (Bulgaria) and here it's almost impossible to find their products. Some brands that we have available here are 3M, Sonax, Ma-Fra, 1Z Einszett and I have very good results using their products - for exterior and interior car detailing and care. But unfortunately the great USA makes like Meguiars, Menzerna, Chemical Guys, Mother's, Clear Kote, Leatherique and many others are very hard (or impossible) to find here and if you somehow get some access to some of them they are gold - priced. Regards!

conman1395
10-13-2014, 01:21 PM
If you have 1Z Einszett then get cockpit premium. I actually like it better than Megs QID.

Moldavite
10-13-2014, 01:33 PM
same thing happens to me :(
i'm saving up for AG sales though...
probably order at one go to reduce shipping cost :p
kinda hard to decide what to buy,seems everytime my list will adjust a little :laughing:

"Buy what you like and buy it often" :p
doesn't apply for us Lol

Drifty
10-13-2014, 01:52 PM
If you have 1Z Einszett then get cockpit premium. I actually like it better than Megs QID.

Yeah, I have had some excellent results with 1Z Einszett's products (I still have some 1Z Hart-glanz and it's awesome). 3M have some excellent product also. In the past I have used BMW Leather Care Set and it's maybe the best product for leather I have used (somehow pricy here...). Regards!

Drifty
10-13-2014, 01:56 PM
same thing happens to me :(
i'm saving up for AG sales though...
probably order at one go to reduce shipping cost :p
kinda hard to decide what to buy,seems everytime my list will adjust a little :laughing:

"Buy what you like and buy it often" :p
doesn't apply for us Lol

Sad, but true buddy... Luckily there are some great Europe brands available. Never've been disappointed with something like 3M or Sonax...The Italian Ma-Fra have some decent products also. Regards!

Moldavite
10-13-2014, 01:59 PM
Sad, but true buddy... Luckily there are some great Europe brands available. Never've been disappointed with something like 3M or Sonax...The Italian Ma-Fra have some decent products also. Regards!

my next order will be some carpro stuff and sonax polymer netshield :awesome:

Drifty
10-13-2014, 02:02 PM
my next order will be some carpro stuff and sonax polymer netshield :awesome:

Good taste mate :dblthumb2:

Moldavite
10-13-2014, 02:10 PM
Thank you :xyxthumbs:
and to those who shared, review on their experience
this is great forum Im the MAN

Drifty
10-13-2014, 02:14 PM
Thank you :xyxthumbs:
and to those who shared, review on their experience
this is great forum Im the MAN

Absolutely agree! Thanks for the tips and regards!