PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me?

Bill1234
10-11-2014, 05:36 PM
I have had a hobby like this for some time now and I just am not understanding the thought process behind some people. Almost nobody cares for their vehicle or possessions like they used to or does things their self anymore. I dont know if its just what I have seen, but others can chime in here if they wish .

PA DETAILER
10-11-2014, 05:41 PM
Kind of been covered before. Crazy hobby indeed. But so far i still love it. It is stress relief for me after a long week. But soon to be given up with winter. I look at my work place parking lot. 90% of thoes vehicles only see water when it rains. But with everyone so busy these days, cleaning the old hauler is last on a lot of peoples list.

SYMAWD
10-11-2014, 05:45 PM
Most people don't care. Today I was washing a car that was in for service. A 2002 and I'm pretty sure it hadn't been washed since 2002.

jarred767
10-11-2014, 06:22 PM
Most people don't care. Today I was washing a car that was in for service. A 2002 and I'm pretty sure it hadn't been washed since 2002.

I've done a few like that...kinda makes you wonder. Maybe someone told them not to go through a car wash so they figured it would be better to just let the dirt accumulate. Haha

photobiker
10-11-2014, 06:37 PM
The only thing people care about these days is that it starts in the morning. I think people have gotten in to that throw it away and buy a newer better one. My father, an auto mechanic, used to say, a hundred years ago, that people would trade in their car when the ashtray was full. Obviously we kept our cars until the wheels feel off. I have the same program built into my thoughts. If it ain't broke I don't need a new one.

SYMAWD
10-11-2014, 06:40 PM
I think part of the reason is that leasing seems to be more popular and they don't see why they should care about someone else's car. Personally, I care for my lease because I have to be in it everyday. I don't care if it's technically mine or not.

af90
10-11-2014, 06:58 PM
It's a hobby there really is no tangible benefit except a slight one come trade in. But so few people can actually see the benefit of a corrected car, it's mostly due to ignorance or accepting good enough in this case.

SYMAWD
10-11-2014, 07:09 PM
It's a hobby there really is no tangible benefit except a slight one come trade in. But so few people can actually see the benefit of a corrected car, it's mostly due to ignorance or accepting good enough in this case.

Ignore paint correction. It's worse than that. Sometimes when I vacuum customer vehicles I don't know if I'll find a barn floor or a floor mat underneath. Or when there is so much brake dust you can actually see the thickness of it.

VISITOR
10-11-2014, 08:10 PM
no doubt about it. some people treat their material things (clothes, purses, shoes, etc.) better than their car. pretty sad...

FUNX650
10-11-2014, 08:47 PM
Almost nobody...does things their self anymore.
If everybody was proficient enough to do all of their own detailing...You probably wouldn't have any current Customers.

Bill...
If you wonder about people's thought processess now:
Just wait 'til you graduate from High School. :eek:

Bob

hoyt66
10-12-2014, 04:10 AM
I recently detailed a friend from church's car (my first paid detail actually). My friend and his family are clean and well dressed every time I see them. Their house is immaculate beyond

words. But this car....not so much. It was unreal. I was so overwhelmed and scared (again my first paid detail) that I never took after pics. While it came out great and his wife actually

thanked me for " a new car", it made me think that is this type of person I need to get on a maintenance program....."Nope. Not interested. We will however bring it back to you next

time and by the way, I think I'm going to have you do my work truck". Oh boy, If that's what their family vehicle looked like..............Anyway, some people are only going to have their

vehicle detailed when they "need" it. Nevertheless, it's money I guess.

swanicyouth
10-12-2014, 06:32 AM
Every time I see dirty filthy cars, I just think one thing: if their car is that dirty - I wonder what the inside of their house looks like?

Gross.

hoyt66
10-12-2014, 06:45 AM
Every time I see dirty filthy cars, I just think one thing: if their car is that dirty - I wonder what the inside of their house looks like?

Gross.

Well read my post on this. Immaculate house! But their car trashed !

Don M
10-12-2014, 06:55 AM
The only thing people care about these days is that it starts in the morning. I think people have gotten in to that throw it away and buy a newer better one. My father, an auto mechanic, used to say, a hundred years ago, that people would trade in their car when the ashtray was full. Obviously we kept our cars until the wheels feel off. I have the same program built into my thoughts. If it ain't broke I don't need a new one.

My dad is the same, the last NEW car my parents bought was a 1977 Subaru, they drove it until the wheels rusted off. Since then they have only bought used cars, but have kept up with the maintenance on them then drive them until they die. Their most recent car they bought when it was 5 years old. Their motto seems to be "Don't laugh, it's paid for." I'm still the only detail-obsessed person in the family though, and I bought my last car in 2006 and it now has over 161,000 miles on it ... BUT it's paid for. :xyxthumbs: