PDA

View Full Version : Safe tape??

frankprozzoly
10-10-2014, 04:55 AM
I've seen people use blue painters tape. Theres Orange, green, blue. Are they all safe?

I'm protecting my car next time it has to go to the dealer. I don't care how ugly or stupid it looks

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AG Online

Setec Astronomy
10-10-2014, 06:21 AM
They should all be safe on paint and glass, depending which tape and how long it's on and if it bakes in the sun, there may be some adhesive residue that would require a solvent to remove.

Trim is another story, soft rubber can get some weird tape marks, while textured plastic trim can trap residues in the texture and be more difficult to remove. What exactly did you want to tape off?

atgonzales
10-10-2014, 07:17 AM
Mike has a great write up on "burning" tape you will need to search for it and I use the 3m tape and had no issues

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards

frankprozzoly
10-10-2014, 07:38 AM
Just small areas the idiots might touch or put paper on the paint and write on it.

Stuff like inside door handle. Front of hood. Maybe even my wheels. Don't they take the wheels off to measure the pads?.

I'm not taking chances. Even if I walk around with the manager and say look, theres not a scratch on the car. The mechanics aren't going to be cautious. And I don't want to get into a pissing match with anyone

What im really dreading is when I'll need tires for tge first time. I guy I work with had a perfect spherical scratch on every wheel. I guess it was from the balancing machine. Not sure. You see how they work an air gun

Setec Astronomy
10-10-2014, 08:01 AM
What im really dreading is when I'll need tires for tge first time. I guy I work with had a perfect spherical scratch on every wheel. I guess it was from the balancing machine. Not sure. You see how they work an air gun

Tire Rack has a list of recommended installers, with reviews. Find one that specializes in low profile tire mounting and start from there, probably a better shot doing it that way than just random, no guarantees though. I'm fortunate enough to live near a great shop and I take all my stuff there.

allenk4
10-10-2014, 11:11 AM
I've seen people use blue painters tape. Theres Orange, green, blue. Are they all safe?

I'm protecting my car next time it has to go to the dealer. I don't care how ugly or stupid it looks

I have actually never heard of someone taping off their car prior to dealer service

I wash mine and hang a sign from the rearview mirror that indicates "Do NOT Wash" "No Lavado"

allenk4
10-10-2014, 11:12 AM
Some "Painters" tapes leave residue that is difficult to remove

I suggest 3M 233+

frankprozzoly
10-10-2014, 11:51 AM
Its more than that. I don't want them getting into my car with grease on their ass. I'm one of those people who don't trust anyone.

In fact that is whats so great about you guys in the business. I'm very impressed with the quality you guys give your customers