PDA

View Full Version : Newbie detailer questions

bws
10-09-2014, 06:23 PM
I'm new to detailing within the last year and I'm about to do a winter detail on my daily driver. I'll list the steps I follow below and the questions I have.

- Sonax for wheels
- 2 Microfiber wash mits
- Two bucket wash with Megs Gold class wash
- Dry w/ waffle weave microfiber
- Wheel Wax Ultimate (1st time using)
- CarPro PERL Coat Plastic & Rubber Protectant (1st time using)
- CLAY MAGIC (FINE BLUE)
- Meguiar's NXT 2.0 Wax

I don't have any swirling but I have a few light scratches I'd like to correct.

I'd like to add a polish step to my process but I'm not sure where to start with that. What tool should I start with? (Porter Cable)

Is there a more aggressive clay I can be using?

I don't feel like the Megs Gold class wash gives me a high lather wash. Any suggestions there?

Are there any other steps I should be doing that I don't have?

I'll add some pics tomorrow when its light out.

Thanks for any help.

Eandras
10-09-2014, 06:33 PM
Ok you need to adjust some of your process.

Sonax the wheels and
2 Wash BM with wash mitt
Clay the vehicle with a detailing spray or left over clean washing material
When finish you may or may not want to wash the vehicle to start with a clean slate.
Dry vehicle with a waffle weave towel can add detail spray to use as a drying aid.
Now is where you can add the polishing step. If you have a PC da you will be able to do most of your correction. Work product/pad combo to achieve the results wanted. Do a panel at a time and do an IPA wipe down as you go on the polished panel

Once you have this complete apply a sealant and a wax to taste. You can finish the wheel coatings at any time after the 2 nd wash or clay

Also introduce yourself in the newbie section. Do searches when you have a question. There are a lot of answers that are available. Also remember the only stupid question is the question not asked

bws
10-09-2014, 07:02 PM
I left out that I do use a detailing spray while claying and hand wax using NXT. I plan to switch to Collinite.

What's the most recommended polisher? I haven't purchased one yet.

What does a sealant do that a wax doesn't?

I'll check out the newbie thread and ask some questions there. Thanks

Don M
10-10-2014, 08:20 AM
I left out that I do use a detailing spray while claying and hand wax using NXT. I plan to switch to Collinite.

What's the most recommended polisher? I haven't purchased one yet.

What does a sealant do that a wax doesn't?

I'll check out the newbie thread and ask some questions there. Thanks

Yes you need to use a quick detailer while claying or even the soapy wash bucket water (if it's still clean), Just don't use a QD like Megs Ultimate Quik Detailer, it's too slick to use with clay.

Any of the name brand DA polishers will work well for you, word has it that even the Harbor Freight DA is decent for personal use. Make sure you get a 5" backing plate and use 5.5" pads as they tend to work best.

If you are going to use Collinite, then there is no need for the NXT because the Collinite is a much better protective coating. Typically a sealant lasts longer than a wax, but Collinite is in a class all its own, it's branded as a wax, but has the durability rivaling that of some sealants.

bws
10-10-2014, 10:05 AM
Yes you need to use a quick detailer while claying or even the soapy wash bucket water (if it's still clean), Just don't use a QD like Megs Ultimate Quik Detailer, it's too slick to use with clay.

Any of the name brand DA polishers will work well for you, word has it that even the Harbor Freight DA is decent for personal use. Make sure you get a 5" backing plate and use 5.5" pads as they tend to work best.

If you are going to use Collinite, then there is no need for the NXT because the Collinite is a much better protective coating. Typically a sealant lasts longer than a wax, but Collinite is in a class all its own, it's branded as a wax, but has the durability rivaling that of some sealants.

I had been using the Meg's Ultimate Quick Detailer to clay. I'll try something else. Thanks

I've read so many things about Collinite thats why I plan to switch once I get through my NXT.

I'll do some more research before I buy a DA. I only plan to use it for my car and friends and family.