PDA

View Full Version : Hello AGO!! Collinite 845 filmy haze.

Pages : [1] 2

Z4LEW
10-08-2014, 11:38 PM
Hello fellow Augogeekers! Have been a long time lurker but never posted. Having a problem with Collinite 845. After washing and drying my car and applying a VERY thin coat of 845 and I believe letting it dry thoroughly before removing, the next day in the sun it appears that it has left a filmy haze behind. It wipes off with a microfiber towel but has become very frustrating for me that I have to go back over the car again. Any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated!

goodinblack
10-09-2014, 05:09 AM
I am seeing this as well.

I think the thing to do is to wash the car again after like 2 days.

BobbyG
10-09-2014, 05:32 AM
Hello,

I suspect you applied too much product. This is very common and the problem you posted is a very common result of excess product.

Can I assume that you applied Collinite 845 manually using a foam pad rather than a dual action polisher? The reason I ask is more often then not, it's difficult to apply the wax thin enough in order to remove it with one buff.

I really like Collinite 845 but only apply it using a dual action polishers using a blue or red pad on speed 3. As you apply the product using this method it will almost seem as if you're not applying enough but this is exactly the right amount to achieve maximum protection while buffing only once...:props:

RobRabbit2.5
10-09-2014, 07:55 AM
I have seen this issue as well. Mine was caused by two reasons.

1. Multiple coats of wax. Not Needed. Collinite is real wax, you only need one coat.

2. Collinite 845 is easy on and easy off. However, check the work with a swirl finder light after buffing it all off. This will reveal things your eye did not see with the ambient light. You will find there are buildups that appear clear at first, but the scrutiny of a better light source reveals extra wax.

FIX? Use a QD Spray and buff it out or wash and dry the car. You're fine.

Good luck

CDot
10-09-2014, 08:14 AM
As much as I hate to admit it--because I like applying 845 by hand--the DA works better, like Bobby said. If you don't have a DA, then the best course of action is:

1. Apply with a foam applicator but before you move on to the 2nd panel, press the applicator lightly against a window. If there is still a decent amount of product that comes off, do not reload the applicator--just do the next panel. That will help you apply thinner.

2. Try "dotting" the area before you start your application and then apply in a cross-hatch pattern instead of the traditional circular pattern--that will help alleviate uneven application.

3. If at some point, your applicator--little yellow ones--becomes overloaded (product starts squishing out as you press the pad), then you have too much. Grab a new applicator and continue.

FIX? Use a QD Spray and buff it out or wash and dry the car. You're fine.

:iagree:

Jaretr1
10-09-2014, 08:51 AM
I have had this exact same experience, and like Bobby said, its better to apply 845 by machine. It allows it to be applied thinner and uniform. Its funny how we think we are applying it thin, but still end up applying it to thick. 845 is one of those products that really needs to be respected as far as application, but if it is, its very durable and easy to remove if applied very thin.

When it comes to a product like 845, there is no such thing as applying it to thin. If any product is getting on the surface, that is enough. Science dictates that more than the absolute minimum is simply wasting product and effecting the results.

KneeDragr
10-09-2014, 09:00 AM
I like to wipe down with distilled water a few hours after applying a wax. Gets rid of all that stuff.

Z4LEW
10-09-2014, 09:57 AM
Thanks for all the input! Yes I put on multiple coats because cleaning and waxing my car relaxes me! I enjoy it very much!! I was applying it manually with what I thought was thin........making sure product was being left behind as I went along. I have a PC and will try using that on the next vehicle I wax. Other than this little issue I've become a huge Collinite Dana's well as AGO! Again great input and greatly appreciated, and to see I not the only one having this issue.

wdmaccord
10-09-2014, 11:34 AM
Did you clay? Could be the 845 is "sticking" to the above surface contaminants and that is why you can't get it to wipe off perfectly clean. Sealant/wax is not what makes your car look beautiful, it is the process you do before that to get your paint perfectly "clean".

Z4LEW
10-09-2014, 07:33 PM
It has a brand new paint job that was buffed out, so no need to clay I think.

Matt-erhorn
10-09-2014, 08:18 PM

That might be the issue. Often times new paint jobs have overspray just as a side effect of being in that kind of environment. It's always good to clay before waxing as it insures a truly clean surface for the wax to bond to.

WAXOFF
10-09-2014, 10:00 PM
I use 845 all the time and don't have this problem. I only apply it by hand. I always wipe each panel about 3 times and then follow up with CG's V7 at the end.

wdmaccord
10-09-2014, 11:14 PM

So very wrong here my friend. New paint and even new cars fresh from the factory are sometimes the ones that need clayed the most. You should have seen the clay after I did my brand new car.

My suggestion: take a clay bar to a small panel, say the trunk lid. Then try your 845 again. See if you get better results. If not, then I guess don't mess with the rest of the car. if you see a big difference...well, then you know. :props:

conman1395
10-10-2014, 01:24 AM
Or baggie test it.

DBAILEY
10-10-2014, 04:07 AM
Sounds more like outgassing. Most likely from applying too thick. A cold distilled water spit shine or a QD like FK425 has always worked for me.