PDA

View Full Version : WI Winter process questions

Ssalg
10-07-2014, 05:12 PM
Hi All,

I have only posted once but have read days worth of threads on this forum. Link to my intro page

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/introduce-yourself/85297-you-all-have-ruined-me.html

I really appreciate the willingness to share perspectives on this forum. I have been hesitant to purchase some products because the more I read the more I am second-guessing myself. Here is where I am at….

Its almost winter here in central WI and I have purchase a new to me vehicle, a Black 2012 VW Golf R…

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/07/62cba901d8980963f6534198adebc6d0.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/07/a2b452d3833e6eea37117ddde926abc0.jpg

I have spent the summer maintaining the car and getting more and more detail specific as I fall deeper into this forum. As of now I have only been …

Wheels – Sonax Full Effect

Tires- CG All Clean APC 10:1 /CG Silk Shine

Rinse

Foam with CG Mr. Pink (I have just purchased Wash and Clear)

2 Bucket – CG Mr. Pink

Dry with blower and WW MF

Trim- CG Silk Shine

Finishing with CG V07

So now that I am more aware and better informed I am looking to protect my car for the winter. I did plan on getting into a full correction but I have had some travel plans pop up that will not allow me to get that far into it before winter.

I am completely prepared to purchase a Port Cable DA and see myself doing so very soon. Although I am unsure if it is necessary at the moment?

I feel I have decided on protecting the car with Collinite 845 for the winter but I am unsure of how to prep the car for this wax if I am not going to go through a full detail/ correction.

My goals are:

Remove contaminants/ strip wax from the dealer/

· My question here is “ if I clay, say with Pinnacle Poly Clay Fine Grade, do I need to move forward with a correction?” I imagine that by going through the clay process there will be minor scratched inflicted on the paint.

Cleanse/Condition Paint to accept Collinite

If possible do this job by hand.

· If I am doing it by hand I am looking at some of the Wolfgang products but am finding mixed feedback on if if I NEED the PC or not?

Could I get by with the following products without being an absolute hack?

Pinnacle Ultra Poly Fine

ONRW+S as clay lube

CarPro Eraser

Pinnacle Cleansing Lotion by hand

Collinite 845 by hand

I am also tempted to stay within one product line, which has me looking in the German Auto Care section of AG.

So, anny suggestions, clarifications, or stories of experience are completely welcome. If I have overlooked some thread that covers all of this please point me in that direction, I have searched and researched very much but obviously I may have overlooked something somewhere in cyberspace.

Thank you all for your input. It is much appreciated.

Appreciatively,

Jon

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/07/52a2b8a8b41321a1fdfd0ca0d2379802.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jamesboyy
10-07-2014, 06:19 PM
Well begin that it's winter I would not attempt a correction just live with the defects till spring/summer IMO with that said I would do a two bucket wash with chemical guys citrus wash, and clear followed by clay barring the paintwork then the Pinnacle Cleansing Lotion by hand followed by a couple of coats of Collinite 845......you don't have to follow up with a paint correction after claying, and I think your plan of attack is simple enough to do by hand, lastly I wold invest into a DA polishing pads etc over the winter cause of holiday sales etc

chet31
10-07-2014, 11:27 PM
My compliments on the O'So Hopdinger. Try the Potosi Snake Hollow or Karben4 Tokyo Sauna, also good IPAs. Generally, I polish after claying because some micro-marring is hard to avoid. However, in a month or two, your car will be continually dirty for 4 months straight. So I agree with James above that I would wait on polishing and go for it whole hog in the Spring. Then you can enjoy the shine for the entire summer. The Collinite will be fine for the winter. Claying will remove a lot of the old wax/sealant, so I wouldn't kill myself prepping the surface or removing old wax. Wash, clay, Collinite.

AeroCleanse
10-08-2014, 12:09 AM
A good polish I have found works well on VW black paint (just did a 2011 Jetta Sportwagen) is Sonax Perfect Finish with a polishing pad on a DA. If it needs polishing that would be where I would start.

Ssalg
10-08-2014, 09:24 AM
Thank you for the replies. The beer tip has been noted. I'm new to the area and have really enjoyed sampling the local waters.

Would anyone suggest another product to prep for wax besides the pinnacle? Or is that the right product for this process?

Ssalg
10-08-2014, 09:24 AM
Hopefully I can place my order today.

Dan K
10-08-2014, 09:53 AM
I also agree with everything James said.

The Pinnacle PCL will be perfect for prep by hand. I wouldn't choose anything else.

Autogeek and the other PBMG sites have great deals starting around Black Friday and continuing through the new year, so you can purchase everything you need to be ready for a full correction come spring.

conman1395
10-08-2014, 10:40 AM
Do you need a PC to use a paint cleanser? No, but you will need PC eventually. So buy one!

Ssalg
10-08-2014, 07:27 PM
Thank you dan.

Conman, I will be ordering one.

I just purchased a water fed alfa grinder for polishing glass too. Can't get all the toys at once. It Is happening though.