PDA

View Full Version : Wheel well coatings

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

frankprozzoly
10-07-2014, 04:57 AM
The car is new and I want a more permanent product on the trim now that winter is upon us. I love megs hyper dressing but I think it's time for something long-term

I looked at some AG products. Whats your experience with the products youve used

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AG Online

Meticulous-Detail
10-07-2014, 05:25 AM
Meguiars vinyl and plastic trim coating is what I use. The aerosol spray nozzle is adjustable so you can get into those tight areas

TroyScherer
10-07-2014, 05:34 AM
You can use a longer lasting trim coating like CarPro Dlux is you have plastic / painted liners. But the reality is the areas will get blasted by sand / rocks/ grit. And even a coating won't last very long in the high wear areas.

frankprozzoly
10-07-2014, 06:12 AM
That's good to know. I'll just take the tires off once in awhile and clean them up. I'll just continue to use a dressing

frankprozzoly
10-07-2014, 06:21 AM
Meguiars vinyl and plastic trim coating is what I use. The aerosol spray nozzle is adjustable so you can get into those tight areas

I like meguiars. I'm sure I'll end up trying this out

spazzz
10-07-2014, 06:32 AM
I use the TW black endura-shine on the wells when I do my tires. Works great to darken and make them slippery.

HUMP DIESEL
10-07-2014, 07:18 AM
You could also use a product like Hydro2, once you have the area completely cleaned, you can spray it in and rinse it off. That would be an easy way and it will shed water and mud. Coating it with a true coating would be posh, but really wouldn't help as much, because just like others have said, the rocks will batter the coating.

HUMP

Dan K
10-07-2014, 08:14 AM
I agree with Hump. Seems like Hydro2 would be the easiest route. Spray on, hose off.

Meticulous-Detail
10-07-2014, 09:25 AM
Never tried Hydro 2 on wheel wells and it does work great on paint/trim/glass so it should work great on wells too. It won't darken/shine the plastic trim though.

Link to Megs PVC

Meguiars Plastic & Vinyl Coating, exterior trim coating, trim dressing, vinyl protectant (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-plastic-vinyl-coating.html)

frankprozzoly
10-07-2014, 09:30 AM
So I just read up on hydro 2 and it's a paint sealant. Are you guys using this on the car too? Rinsing it off the paint just adds an extra step. I'll stick with spray wax but I'll try it on the wheel wells

swanicyouth
10-07-2014, 10:07 AM
I used DLux, but it really takes time and product. It falls under my theory of doing it once & doing it right.

allenk4
10-07-2014, 11:49 AM
Proper prep and application of DLUX does take longer, but the wheel wells look better longer too

For me it was time well spent

I am getting 6 months out of DLUX

You also have to factor in the dramatically decreased amount of time required on future cleanings. Mine only require a quick wipe with MF towel that I dunk on my rinseless (D114) and wring out

frankprozzoly
10-07-2014, 11:53 AM
Do the wheel wells hold up ok or is that area just a lost cause

Niblick
10-07-2014, 11:55 AM
i generally use chemical guys bare bones in the wheel wells, a little goes a long way.

Chemical Guys UNDERCARRIAGE SPRAY BARE BONES NEW LOOK SHINE (http://www.chemicalguysuk.com/Chemical_Guys_Bare_Bones_p/barbone.htm)

frankprozzoly
10-07-2014, 12:09 PM
I'll give the dlux a shot