PDA

View Full Version : Newb in need of serious help

Lang
10-06-2014, 09:29 PM
There is A LOT of information here, almost overwhelming. I am a complete beginner so bare with me. I have 2 vehicles which need attention, 2001 F-350 (white) and 2015 Acura A4 (black). My truck is a DD and goes to construction sites. The Acura is the wife's and is her DD. Both are parked outside currently.

Now as far as I have read/understand I need to first wash (strip wax/contaminants), dry, clay bar, paint cleaner, seal/wax. Then use a wax safe wash until next wax/sealer. This is what I have found, and what I need help with:

Washing mit: Suggestions appreciated

Stripper: Chemical Guys Citrus

Drying: Any shammy?

Clay bar: Mothers?

Paint cleansers: Here is really confusing. Car polish?

Sealer or Wax: I have read on here some just use a sealer, some use both together. Blackfire Crystal Sealer?

Aluminum Wheels: Unilume, then sealer or wax?

Tires: Suggestions appreciated.

Maintenance wash: CG Mr. Pink

My truck really needs a paint job, but willing to make it shine best I can till I sell it or get it re-painted. Hers is brand new. Any and all suggestions are welcome! Again, I am a beginner, and will be doing this all by hand.

Thanks,
Lang

wdmaccord
10-06-2014, 11:20 PM
First, no need to dry between strip wash and clay.

Mitt: get the 3 pack of MF mitts here on AG. One for stripping/decon, one for wheels, and one for paint (maintenance washes).

Drying towels: Cobra Supreme Guzzler - get them now on BOGO!

Compound/Polish: Get a bottle each of Meguiars Ultimate compound and Ultimate polish (or M205). Best 1-2 combo just starting out.

Sealant: If you like Blackfire, get Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection and Crystal Seal. WD first, let cure 12-24 hours, then 2 coats of CS 2-3 hours apart.

Tires: Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner or Meguiars All Purpose Cleaner (undiluted). Get the Tuf Shine tire brush too.

Tire Dressing: I like Blackfire Total Eclipse Tire Gel

Maintenance Wash: I like Duragloss 901 (902 in the gallon size). You can get it at most Carquest stores.

Practice on your truck then move on to the new car. Lots of videos on the store site. I recommend watching as many as you can. Spend an hour or 2 every night for a week. You'll pick up a lot just by watching.

Lang
10-07-2014, 12:04 PM
Thank you. Anymore suggestions on products fellow members? Does it matter with my truck being white and hers black?

Guessless
10-07-2014, 01:01 PM
Just a couple of suggestions for you to consider:

Wash mitt: Carpro wool mitt, or Micrifiber Madness sponge or pad (MM Not sold on AG)

Clay : Nanoskin sponge or mitt ( depending on your needs there are two grades available, fine & Medium)

Paint cleanser:
A-paint cleansers usually have very mild abrasives so won't be able to tackle more severe paint defects. If more cut is required then you need to use a heftier polish, for even more serious scratches etc. you'd need to use a compound followed up by a lighter polish. ( compound & polishing with a machine preferably)

B- Sometimes you need to match the sealant to the paint cleanser, just to make sure the cleanser or polish doesn't leave ingredients behind that hinders the bonding of the sealant to the paint.

Blackfire combo (Midnight Sun and their Multi surface sealer) get rave reviews as one example.

Wheels: Sonax Wheel Cleaner, 1z Einzset wheel cleaner both get great reviews.

Tires: As above Tuff shine gets great reviews but more work is involved in cleaning the tires and applying the dressing. I chose Prima Infinity for my tires , based on a review here, which I just received but haven't applied yet.

Also don't forget about decontaminating with a good Iron remover before/ after claying. Something Like Iron X, I picked Dodo juice Ferrous dueller which is similar.

A good neutral shampoo As well as the two buckets with Grit guards inside for washing is always a must.

BlueBeast14GT
10-07-2014, 01:49 PM
As for the mitt, the CarPro Wool Wash Mitt (http://www.autogeek.net/carpro-wool-wash-mitt.html) is amazing

Merino wool wash mitt, auto wash mitt, sheepskin wash mitt (http://www.autogeek.net/carpro-wool-wash-mitt.html)

It's pricey for a beginner, so if you wanna stick with something microfiber, totally understandable, but this is my favorite mitt by far.

Paul A.
10-08-2014, 11:24 AM
If you have the time, consider you are just down the road from AutoGeek HQ in Stuart. They are wonderful with in person advice and anything you may still need or want to pickup on their suggestions you can get without shipping cost.

RobRabbit2.5
10-08-2014, 12:39 PM
There is A LOT of information here, almost overwhelming. I am a complete beginner so bare with me. I have 2 vehicles which need attention, 2001 F-350 (white) and 2015 Acura A4 (black). My truck is a DD and goes to construction sites. The Acura is the wife's and is her DD. Both are parked outside currently.

Now as far as I have read/understand I need to first wash (strip wax/contaminants), dry, clay bar, paint cleaner, seal/wax. Then use a wax safe wash until next wax/sealer. This is what I have found, and what I need help with:

Washing mit: Suggestions appreciated

Stripper: Chemical Guys Citrus

Drying: Any shammy?

Clay bar: Mothers?

Paint cleansers: Here is really confusing. Car polish?

Sealer or Wax: I have read on here some just use a sealer, some use both together. Blackfire Crystal Sealer?

Aluminum Wheels: Unilume, then sealer or wax?

Tires: Suggestions appreciated.

Maintenance wash: CG Mr. Pink

My truck really needs a paint job, but willing to make it shine best I can till I sell it or get it re-painted. Hers is brand new. Any and all suggestions are welcome! Again, I am a beginner, and will be doing this all by hand.

Thanks,
Lang

Washing mit: Meguiars Microfiber Washmitts (cheap and quality)

Stripper: Chemical Guys Citrus Wash and CLEAR
Was recently on AG on bogo and will take the old stuff right off :)
Drying: Meguiars Waffle Weave Microfiber Drying Towel

Clay bar: Mothers or Meguiars will do just fine (stick with a product line) so MEGs :)

Paint cleansers: Here is really confusing. Car polish? I agree with the other poster on the Ultimate Compound and Polish combo. I recently switched up from these and was achieving amazing results with them. You will not be disappointed.

Sealer or Wax: Megs Ultimate Liquid or Paste wax or any other finisher of your choice. Remember it's all in the prep work

Aluminum Wheels: Megs Wheel Cleaner Dub etc.

Tires: Same, get a cleaner that does both aka wheel and tire cleaner

Maintenance wash: Megs gold class, ultimate wash and wax, sonax, or optimum car wash are all favorites for traditional.

BlueBeast14GT
10-08-2014, 01:30 PM
Compound/Polish: Get a bottle each of Meguiars Ultimate compound and Ultimate polish (or M205). Best 1-2 combo just starting out.

Personally I had a lot of issues with Meg's Ultimate Polish starting out. It may have just been a bad bottle, but Meg's M205 Ultra Finishing Polish (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-205-polish-8oz.html) is a great product and easy to use. It can be found in a lot of brick & mortar stores, O'reilly for one (by the bondo and touch up paint, not by the other detailing products).

Maintenance Wash: I like Duragloss 901 (902 in the gallon size). You can get it at most Carquest stores.
I'll definitely back this one up. Duragloss Car Wash Concentrate #901 (http://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-car-wash-concentrate.html). It's a fantastic product that lubricates really well, foams up nice, and rinses off super easy. It's highly concentrated so it goes a long way.

dlc95
10-08-2014, 01:57 PM
When I was just starting out, Meguiar's was the only real complete professional line available locally, so I just stuck with them, until I learned to "cherry-pick" from different lines.

Even if you decided to start out with a complete Meguiar's set up, you'd be fine.

There are so many excellent manufacturers, and products out there that it can be confusing, but in time, if you desire, you'll be able to navigate the options without issue.

One thing that I did was go to the Autogeek store and look at the product descriptions, then Google the product (which ultimately leads you back to the forum), and read how people used the products, and what their thoughts were.

Kurtopia
10-08-2014, 02:05 PM
Welcome to the beginning of the end. The researching and product trials never stop!!

BobbyG
10-08-2014, 04:55 PM
Welcome to the beginning of the end. The researching and product trials never stop!!

:iagree: Truer words were never spoken! :laughing:

:welcome: To Autogeek Online! :props:

Autogeek is the 1-stop shop for all your detailing needs. Autogeek's customer service is 2nd to none and their goal is to assist you in achieving your detailing goals. :cheers:

Roll Call - What's your real first name? (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/33701-roll-call-what-s-your-real-first-name.html)

If you'd like some product suggestions that perform, take a look at these. I will guarantee they will not disappoint...

Wash - Duragloss #901
Clay - Meguiar's or Mothers
Compound - Menzerna FG-400
Polish - Menzerna PF-2500
Finishing Polish - Menzerna SF-4000
Sealant - CarPro Reload
Wax - Collinite 845
Spray Wax - Optimum Car Wax
Tire Cleaner - Meguiar's Super Degreaser
Wheel Cleaner - Sonax Full Effect
Tire Treatment - CarPro PERL
Wheel Protectant - Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0
Trim Protectant - CarPro DLux
All Purpose Cleaner - Optimum Power Clean
Glass Cleaner - Meguiar's Glass Cleaner
Glass Treatment - Aquapel
Interior Protectant - Meguiar's M40

Lang
10-09-2014, 05:15 PM
If you have the time, consider you are just down the road from AutoGeek HQ in Stuart. They are wonderful with in person advice and anything you may still need or want to pickup on their suggestions you can get without shipping cost.

Ahhh thanks for the heads up! And thanks for all the suggestions!!