PDA

View Full Version : Spots in paint on hood, not sure what to do next.

drewrob26
10-06-2014, 06:01 PM
Hi,
I have an '05 Honda Civic in mint condition, but a few weeks ago I noticed on the driver's side of my hood these light color dots appeared all over my hood. I thought they were spots from tree sap, so I tried bug and tar remover, when that didn't work I tried some rubbing compound, and that didn't work either. I took it to the shop for a wet sand and buff, but that didn't fix it either, they told me I'm faced with a repaint or live with it. Are there any products I can use that will hide or fix the problem or is what the shop told me correct? Below is a picture of two of the spots.

Please help, thanks!

jamesboyy
10-06-2014, 08:45 PM
Welcome to autogeek...it looks like etching of some sort either water or calcium therefore you may have to try something acidic like meguiars water spot remover from pepboys in a red bottle

Setec Astronomy
10-06-2014, 09:00 PM
Welcome to autogeek...it looks like etching of some sort either water or calcium therefore you may have to try something acidic like meguiars water spot remover from pepboys in a red bottle

This one keeps going around--that Meguiar's product is not an acid remover like the Duragloss or CarPro products--it's simply a rebranded abrasive for the OTC market.

FUNX650
10-07-2014, 12:09 AM
Yep...
That Meguiar's "waterspot remover" (red bottle) is A37---Consumer line.

•Meguiar's waterspot remover (blue bottle) is M47---Marine line---and has: Citric acid.
This is the one I recommend using to start-off with: least aggressive first, so to say.

•DuraGloss 505/506 has: Propyl alcohol;
[does it have any "real acid(s)"?]

•CarPro Spotless has: "Proprietary blend of carefully balanced gentle acids."

Bob

drewrob26
10-07-2014, 12:11 PM
Thanks for your help guys! Now that I think of it the windshield washer nozzle has had a leaking problem so it may have leaked and caused this. Hopefully I can get these spots out with one of those products!

Mike Phillips
10-07-2014, 01:50 PM
Hi,
I have an '05 Honda Civic in mint condition,

That's almost 10 years old, good job on keeping her in mint condition.

I tried some rubbing compound, and that didn't work either.

Assuming you did this by hand there's a lot more technique required to work by hand than there is using a simple DA polisher. Often times we have people joining the forum that rubbed some type of compound onto their car's paint asking how to remove the scratches the compound put in.

I took it to the shop for a wet sand and buff, but that didn't fix it either,

A body shop wetsanded then compounded your hood with a rotary buffer and that didn't remove enough clearcoat to make the stain disappear?

That's bad news there....

Stains tend to be very "topical" when it comes to clearcoats because they are NOT very porous. As clearcoats age they do become more open with swirl and scratches, oxidation and interstices.

If sanding and buffing didn't remove the stains then I'm kind of doubting anything less aggressive is going to undo the damage but it never hurts to try.

Please keep us updted...

:xyxthumbs: