PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a problem with grease/oil coming out of the PC 7424 or Edge Adapter ?

Pages : [1] 2 3

cullen2505
08-12-2007, 02:43 PM
I was using my PC last night with a white Edge 2k pad and I noticed some grease/oil on the pad. Didn't know where it came from until I removed the pad and it looked like it was coming out of where the handle goes. Anyone else ever have this problem? Also is it possible to remove the black plastic housing that surrounds where the handle goes? Thanks.

FMINUS
08-12-2007, 03:37 PM
I dont have that problem...

Pics?

BlackCoupe
08-12-2007, 10:22 PM
I was using my PC last night with a white Edge 2k pad and I noticed some grease/oil on the pad. Didn't know where it came from until I removed the pad and it looked like it was coming out of where the handle goes. Anyone else ever have this problem? Also is it possible to remove the black plastic housing that surrounds where the handle goes? Thanks.

Same problem, but only with Edge Pads. Don't know why.

ScottB
08-12-2007, 10:38 PM
never ... did you try and oil the motor ??

cullen2505
08-12-2007, 10:41 PM

No, I never oiled it. I bought it from AG back in December and haven't used it all that much. The oil looks like it's coming from around the threads were you can screw the handle in on the side of the machine. If the plastic housing was removable I might be able to tell exactly where it's coming from.

wytstang
08-12-2007, 10:55 PM
I had the exact same problem which is why I though it was going out on me. I in turned bought the UDM but switched back to LC pads because of the vibrations (backing plate runs smoother on this machine). Never could figure out why.

joe.p
08-13-2007, 08:28 AM
Same problem, but only with Edge Pads. .
same problem here..i mentioned it quite awhile ago...i can't be sure if its oil/grease from the PC..or from the quick disconnect...

iirc.. i was using my makita at the time

BlackCoupe
08-13-2007, 11:30 AM

Same here, nope.

JTS
08-13-2007, 01:10 PM
http://www.toolpartsdirect.com/images/schematics/portercable/7424.big.pdf

Click on this link icullen2505, it will explain quite a bit about servicing the 7424. Never had that problem myself.

cullen2505
08-13-2007, 06:32 PM
http://www.toolpartsdirect.com/images/schematics/portercable/7424.big.pdf

Click on this link icullen2505, it will explain quite a bit about servicing the 7424. Never had that problem myself.

Thanks for the link!!! I'll take it apart and see if I can find where it's coming from.

ScottB
08-13-2007, 07:04 PM
I always thought it was a sealed motor ... mines 5 years old and still kicking. Could it be the Edge adapter specifically ?? I just lost a ball-bearing in mine and need a replacement.

Gottabekin
08-13-2007, 08:54 PM
Hi all, I have the same problem. Yesterday was my second time using the PC and the Edge 2k system after purchasing them at Autogeek last Nov. At first it went smooth without any problem, about half an hour later I saw a bunch of black grease coming out from the Edge connector. At first I thought it was the polish getting dirty so I just wiped it off and started to polish again. Then I got up to the point where there are no more black stuff coming out and I started to see some smoke. I had to stop at that point. I think its the Edge connector, and it had ruined the greed pad I had. The pad is not staying on tight anymore. Here's a picture of what it looks like now. Is there anyone from AG that can help with this same problem that cullen2505 has? Thanks in advance.

Kin :confused:

http://usera.imagecave.com/gottabekin/Autogeek/IMG_1542.JPG

BlackCoupe
08-13-2007, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the link!!! I'll take it apart and see if I can find where it's coming from.

Before I took it apart (warranty issues) I would investigate the Edge Adapter.

cullen2505
08-13-2007, 09:05 PM
My problem was a little different. The first oil I noticed was on the back of the white Edge 2k pad. I was using the pad to remove Liquid Souveran that had hazed (read about it from Justin and Aaron) on speed 4.5 with no pressure. I had finished about 3/4 of the car before I noticed the oil on the pad. Could have come from the adapter but I doubt it. Looks like it came from the where the side handle would be attached to the PC. I'll clean it up and give it another go. I also have a 3.5" flexible backing plate that I use with the 4" CCS pads. I'll try that and see if it's still leaking oil.

Gottabekin
08-13-2007, 09:08 PM
I literally saw black grease coming out from the button on the edge adapter where you would push to get the plate on and off. I also saw blackness on the back of the pad.