PDA

View Full Version : PH balanced and wax safe bug and tar remover?

Paulyfe12
10-06-2014, 01:29 PM
As the title states, I am looking for a bug and tar remover that is ph balanced and wont strip wax or sealant. I am currently using Griots Bug and Tar remover, but I dont know if thats safe or not. I am looking at Carpro TarX as a replacement but I dont know about TarX either, they never really bring up if their wax safe or not.

Dr_Pain
10-06-2014, 01:47 PM
Duragloss Bug Remover (BR) #471 (http://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-bug-remover.html)

There you go. I have used it and it is good but TarX is better (and a good multi-tasker). I did look at the MSDS of TarX and no pH has been provided. Since it is a strong degreaser, it may end up altering the LSP (although I am not 100% on it). I've used TarX in the past and do not remember having to reapply my LSP

Paulyfe12
10-06-2014, 02:29 PM
thank you very much

WRAPT C5Z06
10-06-2014, 02:31 PM
Hard pressed to use a wax safe bug and tar remover. Mineral spirits is your best option.

Dr Oldz
10-06-2014, 02:32 PM
Tar-x will definitely remove LSPs besides a coating. Poorboys bug squash is LSP safe if you use it 3:1.

Judge
10-06-2014, 02:39 PM
I haven't really tried it on tar, but Auto Finesse Citrus Power is amazing on bugs while being gentle on your LSP

expdetailing
10-06-2014, 02:44 PM
I will throw out there that removing tar in any fashion warrants the re-application of wax. Also, for bugs, try using a wet dryer sheet.

Dr_Pain
10-06-2014, 02:55 PM
I will throw out there that removing tar in any fashion warrants the re-application of wax. Also, for bugs, try using a wet dryer sheet.

I will offer an alternative to the wet dryer sheet, which sent shivers down my spine. How about using this:

Detailer’s Road Kill Bug Remover Combo, bug cleaner, bug remover (http://www.autogeek.net/diamondite-bug-eraser.html)

I've had good success with the sponge and it did not marr the paint. I will say however that there is a bigger and more economical sponge available from a competitor (which fits better in my hand)

expdetailing
10-06-2014, 03:06 PM
Using dryer sheets has never marred my clear coat. My clear coat is hard though. Maybe someone who has marred CC with a dryer sheet can chime in.
I've used all kinds of bug remover sprays, and IME, a dryer sheet is faster , more effective, and overwhelmingly more cost efficient.

VISITOR
10-06-2014, 03:15 PM
i know there are some new otc products that will eventually make it's way onto the retail shelves in months ahead possibly after winter, and this one has peaked my interest as well as a few others...
https://www.eagleone.com/sites/default/files/styles/adaptive/public/beetle_juice_bug_remover_new.png?itok=8EFraMN7

mg6045
10-06-2014, 07:25 PM
Duragloss Bug Remover (BR) #471 (http://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-bug-remover.html)

There you go. I have used it and it is good but TarX is better (and a good multi-tasker). I did look at the MSDS of TarX and no pH has been provided. Since it is a strong degreaser, it may end up altering the LSP (although I am not 100% on it). I've used TarX in the past and do not remember having to reapply my LSP

There is no PH because its NOT water based.

Nth Degree
10-06-2014, 07:54 PM
Poorboy's World Bug Squash 3:1.

Paulyfe12
10-07-2014, 11:23 AM
just ordered some duragloss bug remover and will report results, if I don't like it too much I may give the next try to Tar X or TRIX from carpro

PiPUK
10-07-2014, 11:44 AM
Once more, the term you want is pH NEUTRAL. You can balance the pH almost anywhere, Citrus Power is a good example which certainly used to have the pH balanced above 13 - which is not what you want.

Bug and tar removal are two totally different topics if you want to do it properly. Bug removal is easily achieved with water based products which can be diluted, mild alkalinity and contact time are your friend. Tar cannot be dealt with this way. Most of the combination products do a very little bit of tar softening and rely on manual work to get it off. If you have any degree of tar contamination, there is not a single water based product on the market which will help. You need to be looking towards a solvent based product. Some of these will be based around mineral spirits like products but the reality is that a proper tar remover has additional ingredients which make them perform better and make them easy to remove (mineral spirits is slow evaporating and not soluble in water - not trivial to get every last bit off after you are done!). As above, these non-polar solvent based products do not have a pH (just because you can stick a pH meter into one and get a reading, does not make it a pH!).

Summary is that there is really nothing which fits the request. Bugs, possibly but tar, no.

Paulyfe12
10-07-2014, 11:48 AM
well that's disappointing haha, guess ill settle for getting the bugs off with ph balanced stuff and ill manually get the tar off during the wash, with plenty of water and suds as lubricant of course. Like I said though, ill report as to how the duragloss bug remover performs