PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a light cleaner to use as a LSP prep

Brunkel
10-06-2014, 12:35 PM
I'm getting a lot of requests for cars to be sealed before the winter months approach. I typically do an AIO like Pinnacle XMT360 for the basic customer, but want to emphasize the protection for these cars. I would like to put a dedicated sealant on to achieve closer to 6-8 months of protection rather than the 2-4ish that the AIO might provide.

So, I'm looking for an easy to apply product (by machine preferably) that has mild abrasives to clean the surface (no paint correction necessary though) and leaves the surface free of wax and/or oils so the sealant can bond better.

Would this be a job for a "rejuvenating creme?"

CG blacklight has some mild abrasives correct? That would definitely add some gloss and fill a bit before applying a sealant; but does it leave oils? (I'm assuming so b/c of the filling properties)

I may try and up-sell this as opposed to the AIO since it is an extra step, but would provide more protection.

I guess I should add the reason I'm considering this is that if I do an AIO, then IPA wipe down before the sealant it kind of defeats the purpose of the AIO :)

Thanks!
Ben

BillyJack
10-06-2014, 01:06 PM
In my experience, a good choice would be DG501. It is an excellent cleaner, but without abrasives. Mix in DG601 at a 1:4 ratio and it will cure immediately so it can be topped with your LSP of choice and increase the longevity of the protection.

Bill

Setec Astronomy
10-06-2014, 01:16 PM
I would suggest Optimum Polish, Finish, or Hyper Polish. These can all be used as prep for Opti-Coat without any cleaning steps (other than a dry wipe), so it should leave a virgin surface for whatever LSP you want to top them with.

ski2
10-06-2014, 03:37 PM
In my experience, a good choice would be DG501. It is an excellent cleaner, but without abrasives. Mix in DG601 at a 1:4 ratio and it will cure immediately so it can be topped with your LSP of choice and increase the longevity of the protection.

Bill

Correct me if I'm wrong Bill, but even without a topper LSP the 501/601 cocktail will last a good 4-6 months?

allenk4
10-06-2014, 03:54 PM
Getting 8 months out of a sealant is in my opinion overly optimistic

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant has consistently given me 6 months, but the beading is less impressive at 5 months

I would skip the additional prep step completely when using a sealant, it is not required and only eats into your profits

If your customer wants it cleaned up, but does not want to pay for defect removal, you may be better of using a straight cleaner like Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion

The Klasse Twins may be a reasonable option if you insist on multiple steps

BillyJack
10-06-2014, 05:06 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong Bill, but even without a topper LSP the 501/601 cocktail will last a good 4-6 months?

I can't answer that, since I've never left DG501 alone quite that long, but I do know that 3 months on a DD in PA is a given. Last winter I did 501 in September, followed by 105/601 and Collinite 476 in late October and got through the worst winter we've had in a long time on a car parked outside 24/7. I finally polished and waxed in June just 'cause I felt guilty.

You can bet I'm returning to the same recipe this winter.

Bill

beamerstrumpet
10-06-2014, 05:38 PM
Just To give it a good cleaning why not be simple about it, give it a wash with APC added, then go over it with pure polish and a white or green pad. then seal.
OPTIONS:
Mothers California Gold Pre-Wax Cleaner prepares the vehicle's paint for wax, glaze, or sealer by cleaning out impurities and smoothing the top layer (http://www.autogeek.net/motcalgolpre.html)
Menzerna Final Polish,Menzerna PO 85U, Menzerna final polish, Menzerna polish (http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-final-polish.html)
BLACKFIRE Gloss Enhancing Polish, prewax polish, car polish (http://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-gloss-enhancing-polish.html)

FUNX650
10-06-2014, 05:49 PM
Just do it all at once with a Cleaner-Sealant like:
Meguiars Mirror Glaze #20 Polymer Sealant 64 oz. (http://www.autogeek.net/64ozme20pose.html) :xyxthumbs:

Bob

Meticulous-Detail
10-06-2014, 08:27 PM
DG 501/601 combo is a great AIO that will clean and shine the paint while giving you 5-6 months of protection with proper maintenance.

PRicci09
10-06-2014, 10:23 PM
dp prep polish, poor boys pro polish, sonax paint cleaner

custmsprty
10-06-2014, 10:35 PM
Blackfire Total Polish and Seal is an excellent product.

dad07
10-06-2014, 10:55 PM

Depending on a lot of variables(which we all know all too much about) YES you could see that out of 501/601

I can't answer that, since I've never left DG501 alone quite that long, but I do know that 3 months on a DD in PA is a given. Last winter I did 501 in September, followed by 105/601 and Collinite 476 in late October and got through the worst winter we've had in a long time on a car parked outside 24/7. I finally polished and waxed in June just 'cause I felt guilty.

You can bet I'm returning to the same recipe this winter.

Bill

that's around 8 months Bill.......for the northeast area that's awesome! IME I have seen those numbers with 105/601 alone(that's in my area)

your recipe is a very good one! I Have had excellent results with this combo also.