PDA

View Full Version : Wax won't last ...

Pages : [1] 2 3

Wadey
10-05-2014, 08:29 PM
I have a 12 year old silver Tacoma that sits outside under a magnolia tree. Each year around this time of year, my objective is to get some protection on it for winter...

Several weeks ago I clayed the hood and followed with Megs ultimate compound, polish and wax. I was disappointed that, after a rain and less than two weeks, the hood was no longer beading.

I read a bunch of threads here and two weeks ago I did some more Meg's ult. compound work (attempting to fix some water spot etching) followed again by ult polish then tried collonite 485. Initially, the water beading was stunning. It's two weeks later and it rained last night. Water was pooling on the hood this morning. Next to no beading. I washed it today and the lack of protection was obvious when the water hit it.

I don't know what's going on, but I'd like to get some lasting protection on there soon. Any thoughts/suggestions?

jamesboyy
10-05-2014, 08:45 PM
It could be three things that I can think of either its too much sun/bakes it off the paint quickly or it can be that the rain is acidic or most likely the paint is not thoroughly clean meaning you may have to clay bar, iron-x and use a surface cleaners like
carpro eraser/IPA dilution, though you try switching to a sealant, and another possibility is that tree you park underneath could have placed a sap layer on the paintwork that you have yet discover/remove

WAXOFF
10-05-2014, 08:51 PM
If 845 isn't beading after 3 weeks you do have a problem. Cut the tree down.

expdetailing
10-05-2014, 08:53 PM
Assuming your compounding and polishing was thorough, your paint should be clean enough. Try adding another layer of wax. If that doesn't work, try another wax. For the first time in my life, I used paint sealants this year and the longevity was great. Although, the waxes I've used seemed to have good longevity too.
My point is, maybe give a sealant a try and top it with some wax.

toycar18
10-05-2014, 09:09 PM
Try a sealant and top with wax.

I have had good luck with Wolfgang sealant on my 98 tacoma. Lasts much longer than wax!

custmsprty
10-05-2014, 10:14 PM
Black Fire Wet Diamond. I put it on ym wifes car back in ealry August and it rains every day practically down here in Florida during summer. it rained yesterday and it still had very good beading. I did it originally in May. As hot and rainy it is down here during those months it's good stuff. I just bought this combo kit, as it's on sale it's a great deal right now.

BLACKFIRE Wet-Ice Over Fire Combo (http://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-wet-ice-combo.html)

The Midnight Sun Wax is aweosme too, I topped a prior coat of Blackfire Black Ice with it today on my GC and I was actaully really impressed, it definitely lives up to it's reputation.

ski2
10-05-2014, 10:22 PM
Megs Ultimate Wax (liquid or paste) are both sealants as is Collinite 845 and both have a reputation of durability.

After compounding and polishing with UC and UP it could be that there were polishing oils remaining on the paint that interfered with the sealants bonding to the paint. Did you wipe the paint down with IPA after polishing?

Rsurfer
10-05-2014, 10:30 PM
Megs Ultimate Wax (liquid or paste) are both sealants as is Collinite 845 and both have a reputation of durability.

After compounding and polishing with UC and UP it could be that there were polishing oils remaining on the paint that interfered with the sealants bonding to the paint. Did you wipe the paint down with IPA after polishing?

:iagree:

Docpeanut
10-05-2014, 10:42 PM
Black Fire Wet Diamond. I put it on ym wifes car back in ealry August and it rains every day practically down here in Florida during summer. it rained yesterday and it still had very good beading. I did it originally in May. As hot and rainy it is down here during those months it's good stuff. I just bought this combo kit, as it's on sale it's a great deal right now.

BLACKFIRE Wet-Ice Over Fire Combo (http://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-wet-ice-combo.html)

The Midnight Sun Wax is aweosme too, I topped a prior coat of Blackfire Black Ice with it today on my GC and I was actaully really impressed, it definitely lives up to it's reputation.

That's a hell of a price for the kit and I can tell you with certainty - the results are simply stunning

custmsprty
10-05-2014, 10:56 PM
That's a hell of a price for the kit and I can tell you with certainty - the results are simply stunning

Definitely! I got it on the last sale too so paid even less, heck of a deal on a great 1-2 punch!

mrclean
10-05-2014, 11:00 PM
hydro 2 silica sealant. and forget about it.

AeroCleanse
10-05-2014, 11:40 PM
Waxes don't last long, unless you pay reidiculous amounts of money for it, well maybe Dodo Juice Supernatural.

I prefer to go with a paint coating or sealant, with coating being my preference.

Wadey
10-06-2014, 06:29 AM
Thanks to everyone for their input. That idea about the oils in the first two megs products interfering is interesting. Funny thing is that's why I started with all Megs products - effort to avoid ingredient incompatibilities.

BillE
10-06-2014, 07:10 AM
One thing about Ultimate Wax, it is noted for its' 'sheeting' ability. Which is a good thing.

Bill

ski2
10-06-2014, 07:14 AM
It's not a matter or incompatibilities, but more the nature of the beast in some cases. I've found that Megs 205 and UP seem to leave heavy oils behind that interfere with sealants bonding to the paint so require a wipe down with IPA or Eraser to remove the oils before applying a LSP. Others like HD Polish (and others) only requires a wipe with a towel damp with ONR to remove anything left behind (if even that).