PDA

View Full Version : PC 7424 or UDM?

RJones
08-12-2007, 10:16 AM
I'm looking into buying a Porter Cable or a UDM. I want something that can speed up the waxing and sealing process as well as remove the c**pload of swirl marks on my dad's 6 year old black suburban. I know the PC is supposed to be very forgiving, is the UDM the same way. What machine would you recommend for me now. Also, what kit would you recommend, one with Mezerna, Poorboys SSR, or Pinnacle XMT.

ThanksFeed back please

trhland
08-12-2007, 10:21 AM
all i can say id i have the p/c and love it and im useing optimum polishes. as far as mezerna line of polishes it seems like everyone loves them . the only thing is theres so many differnt ones theres like 4 polishes and 2 of them remove 2500 grit scratches so im not sure what the difference is between the two maybe some one can chim in and let me know why theres so many. i mean optimum has only one polish and one compound hmm

chrisbothwell
08-12-2007, 10:56 AM
I am pretty sure that the UDM is the PC 7424 with a UDM sticker. I just received a new UDM and it is exactly the same as the pics of the PC (it has a PC logo sticker on it too). I bought it for the same reason as you, to speed up the process and it does a great job (better than I can do by hand, faster and easier on my arms too.) Some of the people on the forum apply waxes and cleaners by hand, I used the machine and it worked awesome. I did work on a silver car though, you may have a different result with a black car, if it was me I would still try it.

Also, I got the beginners kit; 2 LC white pads, 1 black, and one blue and a pad cleaner and pad conditioner. I would probably recommend this kit. The only thing that I didnt like was the pad cleaner, it didnt seem to work, but I havent asked the forum what I am doing wrong, it could be OE.

FMINUS
08-12-2007, 12:20 PM
I would go for UDM since it vibrates less.

ScottB
08-12-2007, 02:48 PM
UDM is a little more powerful, but you could never go wrong with a PC either. At more than 5 yrs old, mine is still as valuable as a left arm !

Reddwarf
08-12-2007, 06:30 PM
Either way you can't go wrong. I had a PC and now I own a UDM. There are advantages to both but I like the UDM a tad more. However, as I said either is darn good.

When I started I got the Poorboy's kit and loved it. But since then I have used the XMT line and I find it to be superior. I highly recommend XMT, except for the Glaze. I was not so impressed with it. XMT 360 is a must have product.

If I were shopping, I'd probably go with the UDM Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/hk7424.html) and add a bottle of XMT #3, XMT 360. Also a green pad, and the wax of your choice depending on car color and preferences.

Just my $.02.