PDA

View Full Version : Paint Depth/Thickness Gauge Question....

DynamiteDMoney
10-04-2014, 02:05 AM
So I'm really having a hard time finding a gauge that fits my budget and needs! Can anyone out there please help advise me on the best way to proceed with purchasing one of these bad boys?! Im not looking to spend allot on one of these times are tight and my budget is small Please help!

VISITOR
10-04-2014, 02:20 AM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/61505-cm8801fn-paint-thickness-gauge-affordable-everyone.html

allenk4
10-04-2014, 02:11 PM
What is your budget?

Do you need one that can measure paint thickness on substrates other than metal?

DynamiteDMoney
10-04-2014, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the link! Great info!

I need it for detailing automotive paint and I'm hesitant on the CM8801FN due to all the mixed reviews. I'm going to be working on a ZL1 that has been polished or should i say hacked previously by some hackjob! It has holograms, swirls, and buffer trails! sad :(
So I really need an accurate PTG within $150 - $200 range! I'm on the fence but if I have to take the plunge and spend a lil more to get a more accurate PTG guess ill have to save up for one.

I found this one and of course 5stars and almost $400 bucks! There's got to be a solid alternative!?

Amazon.com: PaintGage FNF Coating Thickness Gauge & Professional Automotive Paint Meter (Car Gage, Thickness Meter, Paint Tester) 0-80 mils: Automotive (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001OKHGDY/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_3?pf_rd_p=1944687602&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0097A8Y6G&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=17PDX9G1KG3P41WMMFAN)

Any thoughts and recommendations are greatly appreciated!

SonOfOC
10-04-2014, 02:55 PM
That's the same unit. The $150-$300 range all come from China. Same unit as those sold on EBay. They work fine. I have one that is 4 years old. Accuracy was within .0001 of $2000 unit.

Thanks for the link! Great info!

I need it for detailing automotive paint and I'm hesitant on the CM8801FN due to all the mixed reviews. I'm going to be working on a ZL1 that has been polished or should i say hacked previously by some hackjob! It has holograms, swirls, and buffer trails! sad :(
So I really need an accurate PTG within $150 - $200 range! I'm on the fence but if I have to take the plunge and spend a lil more to get a more accurate PTG guess ill have to save up for one.

I found this one and of course 5stars and almost $400 bucks! There's got to be a solid alternative!?

Amazon.com: PaintGage FNF Coating Thickness Gauge & Professional Automotive Paint Meter (Car Gage, Thickness Meter, Paint Tester) 0-80 mils: Automotive (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001OKHGDY/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_3?pf_rd_p=1944687602&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0097A8Y6G&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=17PDX9G1KG3P41WMMFAN)

Any thoughts and recommendations are greatly appreciated!

FUNX650
10-04-2014, 03:27 PM
Since AGO doesn't allow outside-links to products that are similarly sold on their site
(in this case: DeFelsko EPTGs)...

I'll just say that for a more accurate EPTG than the one you posted; one that costs just a little over your $200 limit:
•HighLine Meter Paint Thickness Gauge I (HLM-PTG I); or:
•HighLine Meter Paint Thickness Gauge II (HLM-PTG II)

•I've got a couple of questions, though:
-How thick was the original factory-sprayed CC paint?
-How much of the original CC paint has already been removed by the other Detailer?
-How much more of this CC paint can you, now, safely remove without affecting its integrity, or that of its UV absorbers/inhibitors?

Bob

DynamiteDMoney
10-04-2014, 05:26 PM
That's the same unit. The $150-$300 range all come from China. Same unit as those sold on EBay. They work fine. I have one that is 4 years old. Accuracy was within .0001 of $2000 unit.

Well thats good to know! Sounds like there are a few people out there using the CM8801FN in our industry with no problems:dblthumb2:

Looks like this will be the PTG that I purchase:thankyousign:

DynamiteDMoney
10-04-2014, 05:33 PM
Since AGO doesn't allow outside-links to products that are similarly sold on their site
(in this case: DeFelsko EPTGs)...

I'll just say that for a more accurate EPTG than the one you posted; one that costs just a little over your $200 limit:
•HighLine Meter Paint Thickness Gauge I (HLM-PTG I); or:
•HighLine Meter Paint Thickness Gauge II (HLM-PTG II)

•I've got a couple of questions, though:
-How thick was the original factory-sprayed CC paint?
-How much of the original CC paint has already been removed by the other Detailer?
-How much more of this CC paint can you, now, safely remove without affecting its integrity, or that of its UV absorbers/inhibitors?

Bob

Owner isn't sure of OEM CC sprayed or how much CC the previous Detailer removed:confused: Thats the biggest reason I desperately need an accurate PTG with-in my budget:xyxthumbs:

I'm using the below description for my guideline and know my micron margin in most likely slim.

Paint Thickness by Vehicle Mfg

• German and Japanese cars: 4-5 Mils
• With the exception of: Lexus-White and Tan: 5-7 Mils,
• Lexus- Black and Silver: 4.5-6 Mils
• BMW: Silver: 6-7 Mils
• FORD: Approx. 5.5-7 Mils
• GM Cars and Trucks: Approx. 4.5-6.0 Mils, Jimmy’s and Blazers: approx 7 Mils
• Chrysler: Approx. 5.5-7 Mils (Note Sebring hoods are fibreglass)
• Dodge Cars: Similar to Chrysler Dodge Trucks and newer Ram Pick-ups: Cab approx. Mils and the boxes approx 9 Mils
• Jaguar: approx. 6-7.5 Mils (but they tend to vary)
• Jeep Grand Cherokee: These read approx. 6-8 Mils, Wranglers: approx. 4.5-5.5 Mils

Thank you for all your help and advice!:pc7424: